Finance and Operations Manager
Jobs at:ActionAid Zambia
Deadline of this Job:
18 February 2022
Date Posted: Tuesday, February 15, 2022 , Base Salary: Not Disclosed
Finance and Operations Manager
The position exists to ensure the financial and legal integrity of AAZ within the framework of the policies and procedures established internationally and the requirements of local and international law are adhered to and complied with. The position is also to provide strategic financial management direction of AAZ to help ensure that AAZ’s overall strategic objectives are met and ensure continuous improvement in monitoring, control and reporting of expenditure of partner NGOs of funds given by ActionAid Zambia.
Job holder is part of the Senior Management team of AAZ, which makes key strategic decisions regarding AAZ.
This requires the jobholder to.
• Contribute to the development and achievement of the AAZ’s strategic objectives.
• Ensure that the long-term financial strategy of the country programme is viable.
• Keep the other members of the AAZ Management Team informed about financial matters.
• Establish and develop links with other Heads of Finance in the Region.
• Establish and develop close communication links with the Africa 2 Finance Advisor.
• Provide a strong lead in discussions affecting the finances of the country programme and more generally, ActionAid Federation.
• Attend and participate in meetings or conferences of ActionAid finance staff as requested
• Ensure compliance & stay current with local statutory requirements – filing of returns and other reporting to regulatory agencies
• Continuously review, evaluate, develop, and implement an internal control system to maintain the financial integrity of AAZ.
• Oversee the Development, implementation, and evaluation of e financial management systems to maintain the financial integrity of AAZ.
• Interpret and comply with established ActionAid Federation and AAZ corporate policies as laid down in the ActionAid Federation and AAZ Financial Policies and Procedures Management Framework (FMF).
• Produce, interpret to users and keep updated the Local Financial Policies and Procedures Manual (LFPPM) developed within the overall framework and structure of the ActionAid Federation Financial Policies and Procedures Management Framework (FMF).
• Develop and regularly review and update an appropriate Risk Register / Matrix for finance and integrate it into the CP’s overall matrix
• Manage the cash flow position of AAZ, including regular monitoring of foreign exchange rate movements with a view to taking necessary action depending on trends.
• Manage and comply with the stipulated and necessary reserves at LRP and Country levels.
• Define, agree and communicate period end processing aspect on the following:
• Cut-of date, depreciation processing, accruals & provision, prepayment allocations and other accounting adjustments in compliance to GAAP.
• Introduce and maintain a reporting system which permits the effective monitoring of the finances of AAZ Associate.
• Produce timely and accurate financial reports monthly to local management of the programme.
• Ensure that accurate and timely financial and management reports are prepared and issued to the Country Director, Board, donors, regions, and AA Global Secretariat as specified in the ActionAid Federation Financial Policies and Management Framework.
• Produce accounts for the quarters of March, June, September and December for submission to the Global Secretariat.
• Produce statutory year-end accounts, annual reports and half yearly reports under AA Federation and AAZ accounting policies and as required by local legislation.
• Produce timely and accurate reports to donors as required.
• Prepare and submit reports to the Board, Treasurer and Finance and Audit Committee (s) as will be agreed and scheduled.
• Ensure that effective systems are in place to allow adequate financial monitoring.
Plans, Budgets and Forecasts
• Co-ordinate the annual budgeting, forecasting and three-year planning exercise and ensure that these are consistent with guidelines and procedures agreed with AA Federation and in accordance with specific needs of AA Federation-AAZ.
• Prepare detailed expenditure budgets and summary budget tables and ensure that they are consistent with the information and formats provided by the ActionAid GS.
• Coordinate with Sponsorship Department and produce on an annual basis a forecast of sponsorship income for the following period.
• Produce three-year financial plans as required within the agreed timetable.
Training and Support
• Establish and develop close communication links with the finance and administrative staff of partner NGOs.
• Develop the financial capacity of partner NGOs in a systematic way.
• Develop the finance skills of the finance and non-finance staff of AAZ.
• Assess the financial ability of potential partner NGOs, including their internal control systems, documentation and capacity to report on expenditure before long-term relationships are entered into.
• Monitor and assess the expenditure of partner NGOs.
• Agree, develop and review a reporting system between the partner NGOs and AAZ.
• Ensure that the external and internal audit reports of partner NGOs are reviewed and acted upon as necessary.
• Develop a system to ensure that partner NGOs are not double funded with AAZ funds.
• Plan for and schedule both Partners visits and training sessions.
Safeguarding Assets and Interests
• Ensure that AAZ funds and assets are being put into good use and for the purposes the donors intended them to be.
Donor management and Reporting
• Participate in development of fundraising proposal/s from the beginning of the process.
• Review and sign off on all fundraising proposals developed by the Associate.
• Ensure that reports are submitted to the donor on a timely basis, in the format agreed with the donor and that all other reporting requirements are adequately adhered to
• Comply with AAZ performance measurement systems.
• Develop and implement performance measurement relevant to AAZ and to partner NGO’s.
• Participate in the corporate development of performance measurement and impact assessment indicators.
Administration and IT
• Supervising the day-to-day operations of administration and IT
• Developing, reviewing, and improving administrative & IT systems, policies, and procedures.
• Ensuring all equipment including motor vehicles is working and properly maintained.
SUN / Infor Q&A
• Maximize the use of the SUN/Q&A systems in the Associate.
• Maintain the integrity of SUN/Q&A systems.
• Ensure finance staff are properly and adequately trained on SUN /Infor Q&A and are able to maximize use of the systems especially for designing of reports using Q&A.
• Ensure SUN database information is up to date and always reconciled
• Ensure availability of relevant user training manuals to all finance staff.
• Ensure that financial statements are prepared for internal or external auditors as required.
• Ensure that a sufficient audit trail is maintained for all transactions at the Associate.
• Establish an internal audit function and develop a systematic internal audit program covering all of AAZ – operations to ensure that adequate control systems are being maintained.
• Liaise closely with both the internal and external auditors to ensure that audit timetables and guidelines are adhered to.
• Provide full support & co-operation to internal and external auditors and implement any changes recommended by them once agreed.
• Ensure proper follow up and implementation of agreed recommendations by both internal and external auditors.
• Work closely with the internal audit unit to ensure staff in the unit are well acquainted with the finance unit systems and processes. This will include initial induction and training of the internal audit staff.
• Manage all staff reporting to the Finance & Admin and provide technical support to all finance &Admin staff both in AAZ and other partner NGOs supported by AAZ.
• Develop the skills of all finance staff and assist non-finance staff in developing financial skills.
• Develop work plans for finance staff and factor in leave ensuring adequate cover and staffing in event of absence.
Links between finance and other functions
• Work closely with all staff especially those involved in monitoring and evaluation, impact assessment and those involved in sponsorship and fundraising to derive maximum synergy and support beneficial to all.
• On Fundraising – participate in project proposal development, implementation & management thereof. Develop and keep updated all donor & project related information, reporting requirements, audits in a form of a tracking tool
• With Sponsorship – engage with the SK system to track links movement and track actual income realization.
• Participate in the impact assessments and PRRP processes.
• Ensure compliance of SHEA and Safeguarding Policy in place and adhered to by the Organization
• Ensure Compliance of Assurance Policy within the AAZ, Partners and Stakeholders working with AAZ
• Participate in the establishment of planning, evaluating, and reporting system which facilitate the assessment of the impact of AAZ’s gender work.
• Always work towards ensuring that the finance function is gender balanced
Support to Program
• Provide advice, assistance, and training on financial matters to the Country Director /CMT and other senior managers as required for them to improve their financial management in their programmes.
• Assist in the recruitment, assessing and development of finance and non-finance staff for AAZ programme offices and projects.
• To share any learning within the finance function, the Regions and other country programmes outside the region.
• To provide a link with the local corporate lawyers and ensuring delivery on assigned work monitor their performance to ensure and that ActionAid has competent legal advice at all times to reduce the risk of loss of funds and/or integrity.
• Provide advice to Senior Management Team on suitable approaches to legal aspects of the programme work especially as relates to financial matters.
• Work with the corporate lawyers to ensure legal and statutory obligations are fulfilled and complied with.
Interface with the Board
• Play an active role & support the development of the Governance Manual with emphasis on input on finance aspects.
• Participate in Board meetings and give necessary support and information to the
• Finance & Audit Committee (s)- quarterly or other such reporting
• Plan for and organize Board training as and when they become necessary.
• Be always prepared to engage and support the Board in any other role and capacity or assignment for better governance and management of the Associate
Skills, knowledge and competence requirements:
• Strong financial expertise and familiarity in management accounting practices at senior level
• Proven experience in implementing financial and administrative control systems
• Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
• Demonstrated experience in negotiating, influencing skills at the senior management level
• Sound practical knowledge of SUN Accounting systems and spreadsheets.
• Bachelor’s degree in accounting or finance, at least 5 years experience in a senior management position, Full ACA, ACCA, CIMA qualification is a must while a master’s degree in finance will be an advantage.
• Key Working Relationships:
• Internal: All AAZ Team, Head of International Audit; Finance Advisor and another international Finance team
• External: Partners, Relevant Government Agencies, Donor Community, INGO Community and other stakeholders.
• Person Specifications
• Bachelor’s degree in finance
• At least a master’s degree in a related field
• Full ACA, ACCA, CIMA qualification is a must.
• Membership of relevant professional Institute
• At least 10 years minimum working experience in the social development field.
• At least 5 years experience in a senior position in the development sector particularly in financial management, donor contract management and financial systems development and implementation.
• In-depth understanding of Programming issues and policy work at state, national and international levels.
• Excellent management & leadership skills
• Excellent skills in facilitation and capacity building for inter-linkages between staff, donors, partners & stakeholders in financial management
• Excellent conceptual, analytical, documentation, and presentation skills.
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills, including report writing.
• Excellent planning and prioritization skills
• Ability to Think Strategically
• Strong analytical/problem-solving skills.
• Multi-tasking skills
• Negotiation skills
• Understanding of the SUN system and the ability to build others’ capacity in this is desirable.
• Demonstrable commitment to support team working
• Creative and takes initiative.
• Able to work effectively in a diverse team environment
• Willing to work additional hours at crucial times.
• Self-motivated person able to work without supervision
• Effectively promote the AAIR’s mission values, and objectives
Work Hours: 8
Experience in Months: 120
Level of Education: Bachelor Degree
Job application procedure
To apply, please send a cover letter and Curriculum Vitae highlighting how you match the criteria in the Job Description to the following email address; email@example.com;
ActionAid is an equal opportunity employer. Qualified women below the age of 35 years are encouraged to apply. Please Note: While we value all applications, we can only respond to short-listed and candidates finalist. ActionAid’s Website: www.actionaid.org/zambia
Join a Focused Community on job search to uncover both advertised and non-advertised jobs that you may not be aware of. A jobs WhatsApp Group Community can ensure that you know the opportunities happening around you and a jobs Facebook Group Community provides an opportunity to discuss with employers who need to fill urgent position. Click the links to join. You can view previously sent Email Alerts here incase you missed them and Subscribe so that you never miss out.