Deadline of this Job: 02 September 2022Appointment Type Details:
• Indefinite subject to successful completion of probationary period
We encourage you to read and understand the Eight (8) Qualities of Overseas Employees before you apply.
The work schedule for this position is:
o Full Time (40 hours per week)
Start date: Candidate must be able to begin working within a reasonable period of time (6 weeks) of receipt of agency authorization and/or clearances/certifications or their candidacy may end.
Plans, schedules and participates in the gardening work as assigned including but not limited to soil preparation, planting, pruning, trimming, staking, cultivating, weeding, transplanting, of trees, lawn turf, shrubs, ground cover, flowers and hedges. Performs other gardening work as required. Prepares soil and plants, cultivate, transplant, fertilize, water, prune, shrubs, trees, flowers, plants to include perennials and annuals, and other vegetation. Mixes topsoil and natural fertilizer applying to grass and flowerbeds as needed.
Qualifications and Evaluations
EXPERIENCE: A minimum of two (2) years of gardening experience is required.
JOB KNOWLEDGE: Good working knowledge of how to plant/ transplant shrubs, flowers etc. typical for the area required. Maintenance of gardens and lawns using knowledge of gardening and swimming pool cleaning techniques are required. Good working knowledge of Overseas Building Operations (OBO) FAM and FAH regulations pertaining to grounds maintenance and procedures, Standard Operating Procedures (SOP).
o Completion of Primary School
LANGUAGE: English level I (Rudimentary knowledge) Reading/Writing/Speaking is required.
SKILLS AND ABILITIES: Ability to physically able perform arduous tasks as well as work independently. Ability to use hand tools and operate motorized equipment and vehicles, such as mowers, sprinklers, etc. Ability to use all gardening tools and swimming pool, cleaning equipment. Must be able to lift and move objects weighing up to 50 pounds. Must be able to wear personal protective equipment such as eyewear, and safety shoes. Must be able to perform assign tasks in all types of weather, and environmental weather conditions to include at times severe cold, extreme heat, wet or dry weather conditions, and high winds. A valid driver’s license is required.
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY (EEO): The U.S. Mission provides equal opportunity and fair and equitable treatment in employment to all people without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, political affiliation, marital status, or sexual orientation.
All applicants under consideration will be required to pass medical and security certifications.
Benefits and Other Info
Locally Employed Staff, including Members of Household (MOHs), and Third-Country Nationals (TCNs), working at the U.S. Mission in Lusaka may receive a compensation package that may include health, separation, and other benefits.
For EFMs, benefits should be discussed with the Human Resources Office.
The pay plan is assigned at the time of the conditional offer letter by the HR Office.
HIRING PREFERENCE SELECTION PROCESS: Applicants in the following hiring preference categories are extended a hiring preference in the order listed below. Therefore, it is essential that these applicants accurately describe their status on the application. Failure to do so may result in a determination that the applicant is not eligible for a hiring preference.
HIRING PREFERENCE ORDER:
1. AEFM / USEFM who is a preference-eligible U.S. Veteran*
1. AEFM / USEFM
1. FS on LWOP and CS with reemployment rights **
* IMPORTANT: Applicants who claim status as a preference-eligible U.S. Veteran must submit a copy of their most recent DD-214 (“Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty”), equivalent documentation, or certification. A “certification” is any written document from the armed forces that certifies the service member is expected to be discharged or released from active duty service in the armed forces under honorable conditions within 120 days after the certification is submitted by the applicant. The certification letter should be on letterhead of the appropriate military branch of the service and contain (1) the military service dates including the expected discharge or release date; and (2) the character of service. Acceptable documentation must be submitted in order for the preference to be given.
** This level of preference applies to all Foreign Service employees on LWOP and CS with re-employment rights back to their agency or bureau.
For more information (i.e., what is an EFM, USEFM, AEFM, MOH, etc.?) and for additional employment considerations, please visit the following link.
Deadline of this Job: 24 August 2022Core responsibilities include have a hands-on approach to manage and oversee all aspects of the farm, involving crop and livestock operations. Other responsibilities include supervision of workers and perform farm maintenance requirement; and assisting with the operation and supervision of the Student Labour Program; and participation in mentoring of students.
1. Farm development planning: Lead the development of farm operations and the setting up of production and sale of crops and livestock, as well as facilitate and infrastructure planning for short, medium & long-range scenarios. Lead project definition and project feasibility, collaboratively working with project teams, consultants, and government agencies.
2. Capital project development and real estate: Work closely with the Clerk of Works to implement planning and operational plans. Provide information for capital budget planning.
3. Student affairs: participate in student mentoring and supervision under the Student Labour Program (SLP).
4. Administration: Supervise subordinate staff and manage their performance. Additionally submit required reports to the Head of Department (HOD).
5. Implementation of Biblical worldview in your working methods
The applicant should have the following qualifications:
• Holds a minimum of a Diploma in the field of Agriculture or a Trade certificate from a recognized university.
Competencies and Attributes
• Conversant with ACU and its culture and must hold to the biblical reformed world view and biblical cultural mandate of ACU.
• Ability to take initiative and work well with a team. • Possesses planning and organizational skills.
• Demonstrates excellent communication skills (oral and written).
• Conversant with Performance Management Systems.