Deadline of this Job: 01 September 2022JOB DETAILS:
• A degree in Software Development or equivalent
• Three years’ hands on experience in a busy environment
Deadline of this Job: 31 August 2022JOB DETAILS:
The European Union Delegation to Zambia is looking for a:
Press and Information Officer
The European Union (EU) is an economic and political partnership between 28 European countries. It plays an important role in international affairs through diplomacy, trade, development aid and working with global organisations. Abroad, the EU is represented through more than 140 diplomatic representations, known also as EU Delegations, which have a similar function to those of an embassy.
The EU Delegation to the Republic of Zambia and COMESA:
• Ensures the representation of the European Union to the Republic of Zambia and the Common Market for Eastern and Southern Africa (COMESA);
• Ensures the follow-up of bilateral relations in the areas of political, economic, trade and external assistance cooperation (financial and technical);
• Ensures the follow-up of EU policies in all sectors;
• Promotes and defends the values and interests of the EU;
• Coordinates the work of the Member States’ Embassies, particularly in the fields of EU competences, notably trade and external assistance;
• Ensures the tasks of the EU Presidency and carries out CFSP demarches as appropriate;
• Reports back to Headquarters on all matters of interest for EU policies;
Carries out press and public diplomacy activities in pursuit of the above;
• Ensures the multi-annual programming of aid and the management of programmes and devolved projects within the framework of the external aid instruments of the EU Budget and the European Development Fund in line with the Communication “Increasing the impact of EU Development Policy: an Agenda for Change”.
We offer a post of Press & Information Officer. Under this post, the recruited person will be attributed functions depending on the needs of the Delegation. Upon recruitment, the successful candidate will occupy a specific job function as Press and Information Officer – this job function may be changed in accordance with the needs of the Delegation. Under this job function the successful candidate will serve as technical and support staff to the Head of Political, Press and Information section and the Political Officer. He/she will carry out the following tasks:
• Act as Spokesperson for specific Delegation activities and in this context (a) organize press interviews and conferences for Head of Delegation and as needed other Delegation members; (b) organize media events/coverage for visiting Commissioners and other high level officials (b) prepare as needed summaries of the Zambian press; (c) draw the attention of the Head of Delegation and Head of Section to events and articles requiring immediate attention and/or reaction, involving notably relations with EU or other matters (d)prepare draft press releases, in coordination with Communications Coordinator where needed;
• Develop good working relations and contacts with members of the Zambian and international journalist media based in Lusaka, and in line with guidance received, respond to enquiries regarding EU policy, initiatives and actions in Zambia, and supply material and documentation appropriate to this purpose.
• Liaise as needed with state information and press agencies, and with other appropriate media organisations and agencies in Zambia, including ministry spokespersons in the context of visits;
• refer to the Head of Delegation, Deputy Head of Delegation, Head of Section and as needed headquarter services for the ‘line to take’ on various issues;
• Feed on a daily basis relevant Delegation social media accounts;
• Develop pubic diplomacy strategies and communication plans for working effectively with the media;
• Devise and help carry out media campaigns and set up exhibitions;
• Carry out annual reporting and planning with regard to the EU Delegation’s communication and information activities;
• Manage the EU Delegation’s visibility material;
• Monitor Zambian media coverage and prepare weekly reports;
• Liaise with press and information officers in EU Member States’ Embassies and foster coherent public diplomacy activities among them;
• Foster in-house coordination and collaboration on all aspects relating to the EU Delegation’s communication and information.
• Keep track of the EU Delegation’s financial resources for press and information activities;
• Will be responsible for PPI Procurement and contract management
• Initiate procurement of goods and services, for agreement by hierarchy and in line with applicable rules, payments in the internal accounting system.
• Prepare/check draft purchase orders, contracts and invoices
Working environment and conditions:
Place of employment: Lusaka, Zambia
Starting basic salary (gross): ZMW 40,561.00
Total Working hours per week: 37.5
* The job may require working after office hours and on occasional weekends.
We offer a competitive position in an international environment. Benefits, such as additional pension scheme, housing allowance and medical insurance, are offered to employees and their families under certain conditions.
1. Medically fit to perform the required duties;
2. Enjoys civil rights and permits for employment under local law;
3. Has a satisfactory knowledge of English; Education and training: University degree in Journalism, Mass communication, Political Science or any other Social Science with direct relevance to the field.
4. Professional experience: Relevant professional experience in the areas covered under main tasks of at least three years.
5. Excellent editorial skills
6. Demonstrated good computer skills including experience with MS Office Suite, especially with Excel and Word
The following will be considered an asset:
1. Experience in similar position with an International Organisation or Diplomatic mission.
2. Knowledge of French
We look for a candidate who is a self-starter, motivated, able to work under pressure, able to work alone with minimal supervision and in a team, respects deadlines, is committed to assure quality, speed and attention to details in performing duties, shows initiative and responsibility, able to deal with stress situations, is pro-active, flexible and discreet.
The successful candidate should have:
• Excellent command of both written and spoken English
• High sense of initiative and responsibility, commitment and integrity
• Ability to work in a team
• Dynamism and flexibility
• Ability to work and deliver under pressure and to respond quickly to new demands
• Sensitivity to diverse cultural environment