Deadline of this Job: 19 October 2022JOB DETAILS:
The Government of the Republic of Zambia (GRZ) in conjunction with the World Bank is implementing the Transforming Landscapes for Resilience and Development (TRALARD) Project in Luapula, Muchinga and Northern Provinces of Zambia. The Project is building on the programmatic approach of the implementation of the Pilot Programme for Climate Resilience (PPCR) in Western and Southern Provinces of Zambia and scaling up lessons from it.
The TRALARD Project covers a number of thematic areas including sustainable landscape management, restoration and resilience; infrastructure for resilience and market access; and contingency emergency response, to support the Northern Region of Zambia by integrating livelihood improvement with natural resource sustainability. The interventions will operationalize a community-led landscape approach, which is an integrated approach to sustainably manage land, forest and water resources in the Northern region.
Black Dot Media Ltd is implementing the communications component of this project on behalf of the Ministry of Green Economy and Environment. Blackdot Media is an award-winning creative advertising agency in Zambia with more than 25 years in the advertising industry.
Blackdot Media Limited seeks to recruit a “Communications and Outreach Officer” to be based in Chinsali District to support communications and media activities for the Transforming Landscapes for Resilience and Development (TRALARD) Project. The latter is being implemented by the Government of the Republic of Zambia (GRZ) with the support of the World Bank Group. TRALARD is implementing the ‘Think 2044 Behaviour Change Campaign’ aimed at triggering behaviour change of citizens so that they adopt positive practices and behaviour in relation to resilience and sustainable natural resource management.
• To plan, implement, and assess communication and outreach activities in order to raise visibility of the campaign themes.
MAIN ROLES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
• Support the implementation of communication and advocacy strategy through a robust quarterly communication plan.
• Serve as a link between the Project and community-based Information, Education and Communication activities to raise the visibility of the project.
• Assist in the production and distribution of media outputs in form of news items, IEC materials to various constituencies.
• Supporting in positioning for hard news coverage, create opportunities for placement of stories and support media buying activities.
• Working with project officers, support the implementation of outreach activities including road shows, community events, commissioning’s, handovers, inter alias.
• Ensure that the project deliverables in terms of the campaign are fully integrated in all information and communication messages.
• Make scheduled site visits to project sites in order to document the status of the project activities.
• Assist in the preparation of communication material and presentations for IEC and to ensure appropriate formats are used.
• Monitor media coverage outputs and feed it back into the campaign.
• Maintain records of media interventions in collaboration with project team.
• Support the implementation of a stakeholder engagement plan including brokering of professional relationships with local leaders, influencers and opinion leaders.
• Ability to travel in project areas to document activities using photography and videography.
• Capture and report on project activities in the field.
• Help in managing the flow of communication between Blackdot Media Ltd and project partners.
• Monthly and quarterly reports of communication activities.
• Schedule of media engagement activities.
• Monthly Media monitoring reports.
• Register of stakeholder engagements and outreach activities.
• Documentation of IEC materials that would have been shared and distributed.
• Photography and videography of visited sites.
• Full Grade Twelve (12) certificate with five O levels including Mathematics and English.
• Minimum of a Diploma in communications, journalism, public relations, or a closely related field (essential). A Bachelor’s Degree will be an added advantage.
• A minimum of 3 years’ demonstrated experience in communications and outreach work such as stakeholder engagement, advocacy, community mobilization, coordination of road shows and other information dissemination outreach activities (essential).
• Proven track record of published articles.
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
• Works well under pressure and meets tight deadlines.
• Highly computer literate with capability in email, MS Office, and related business and communication tools.
• Strategic and creative mindset.
• Meticulous attention to detail.
Deadline of this Job: 31 October 2022JOB DETAILS:
Communications Lead Africa
Heifer International is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, status as a protected veteran, among other things, or status as a qualified individual with disability.
Communications Lead Africa will be responsible for the implementation of strategy by working closely with consultants and executive management, with the interpretation/ implementation of Heifer’s approved Public Relations brand and reputation management strategies; interpretation and implement Heifer’s internal and external communication engagement strategies and the development of corporate content in line with Heifer’s communication and brand DNA. The Communications Lead Africa will develop a stakeholder matrix and update as needed, identify critical stakeholder expectations, liaise with partner organizations to enhance Heifer’s interest and sustain relationships with Heifer’s key advocates and leverage influence and connections for the benefit of Heifer. This position will assist Heifer’s spokesperson(s) with the preparation of content, event co-ordination and matters related to external engagements; assist with the discovery/development of communication and engagement platforms for spokesperson(s) to articulate Heifer’s point of view. This position will develop relationships with media agencies, publications, editorial staff, and influential columnist; institute capacity building seminars and implement protocol for official interaction for media enquiries, press conferences and media visits.
The role may be located in any of the following countries: Ethiopia, Kenya, Tanzania Uganda, Rwanda, Nigeria, Senegal, Zambia or Malawi.
Essential Character Traits
Customer focus, drives results, nimble learning, decision quality, instills trust, collaborates, self-development, optimizes work processes, action oriented, communicates effectively, cultivates innovation and values differences.
Responsibilities & Deliverables
A. Ensure the implementation of Heifer’s PR/Brand Strategy for Africa (40%)
• Custodian and gatekeeper of corporate narrative/DNA.
• Ensure adoption of all aspects of approved PR/Brand DNA in all content –documents, presentations, brochures, adverts, and speeches.
• Ensure that corporate narrative is deeply entrenched in all internal and external communication and visual expression.
• Ensure that corporate narrative is deeply entrenched in all internal and external communication and visual expression.
• Direct Heifer Africa brand positioning business wide through cross functional and cross-team co-ordination and cooperation.
• Serve as a champion for internal PR/corporate narrative.
• Influence the tone, look, and feel of shared media platforms with close coordination with the Global Communications Team.
• Receive strategic direction and manage relationships/information flow with retained PR consultants.
• Provide feedback and observations towards refining or re-thinking strategies.
B. Position Heifer appropriately in the public domain. (20%)
• Key media interface.
• Key event organizer.
• Identifies suitable positioning opportunities.
• Mitigates reputation risk.
• Ensure top of the mind awareness for Heifer and achieve the highest visibility in
• the development sector in key media, by ensuring 80% positive media mention.
• Position Heifer for thought leadership through visible collaboration and participation across Africa.
• Identify suitable programs, events and initiatives for media leveraging and positioning.
• Assist with developing the business case for Heifer and ensure visibility with key business media, government and the local donor community.
• Ghosts write opinion pieces positioning Heifer Africa experts as thought leaders.
C. Responsible for Heifer Africa content development - content, look and feel across all media and engagements (20%)
• Assist with development of speeches/presentations/brochures/ infomercials/ short clip videos.
• Assist with responses to media enquiries.
• Manages all executive external and internal communication.
• Provide high quality, consistent program and thematic content based on approved communication and brand DNA in multiple media channels including press, web, and social media.
• Ensures that content, look and feel positions Africa as aspirational and Heifer as:
i. A partner in progress – an organization that prioritizes Africa because of the abundant opportunities in Africa.
ii. An organization that desires local collaboration with farmers, government, local donors, and international community.
iii. Competing for big ticket funds.
iv. Implementing signature projects which enhance local food securityand know Africans can help themselves.
v. Interested in climate change impact and issues of water in the Sahel region.
vi. Deep understanding of Africa after 45 years.
• Collaborate with Global Communications Team on production of high-quality audiovisual context.
D. Coordinates interaction with critical stakeholders (15%)
• Assist executive management to prioritize and manage engagement with critical stakeholders in media, donor community, partnerships, government, and regulators.
• Co-ordinates critical stakeholder management.
• Assists corporate spokesperson(s).
• Minimize friction with critical stakeholders.
• Scans the environment from time to time and identifies future or perceived challenges for Heifer.
• Develop critical stakeholder matrix and expectation management document to be revised from time to time (as needed).
• Develop reputation risk register – identify key reputation risk and advice executive management how to mitigate the same.
• Work with retained consultants and Global Communications Team to implement crisis management document scenario planning and shelf ready responses.
• Develop quarterly schedule of interactions between identified critical stakeholders and executive management.
E. May perform other job-related duties as assigned (5%)
a. Bachelor’s degree in social sciences, humanities, or related degree plus a minimum of five (5) years’ experience in a reputable PR/Brand consulting firm, PR, or Corporate Communications at a large corporate organization preferably multi-national. Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
a. Master’s degree in social sciences, humanities, or related degree, plus three (3) years’ experience in a reputable PR/Brand consulting firm, PR, or Corporate Communications at a large corporate organization preferably multi-national. Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
Most Critical Proficiencies
1. Knowledge of public relations work applied across all forms of media.
2. Strong writing, editing and presentation skills.
3. Demonstrated knowledge and skills of building networks, partners and collaborations for media and positioning.
5. Negotiation skills including ability to listen and persuade.
6. Work with a global mindset preferably with demonstrated experience in working
7. at local, and global levels.
8. Demonstrated experience of working with diverse cultural groups, and gender equity approach.
10. Experience in taking complex ideas and capturing in accessible ways and multiple formats – briefing papers, positioning pieces, publications, press releases, and social media.
13. Experienced in identifying and managing sensitive media issues and crisis
14. Ability to collaborate and build positive working relationships with multiple internal and external partners.
15. Experience with the design and implementation of results-oriented communication strategies.
17. Demonstrated experience managing and/or facilitating events, small convenings, and forums of experts preferred.
Essential Job Functions and Physical Demands
1. Ability to inspire and support the team and give expression to Heifer’s mission
2. through word, media, and public relations activities.
3. Constant face-to-face, telephone and electronic communication with colleagues and the public.
5. Ability to confidently give oral presentations and impromptu speeches to a wide range of audiences.
7. May require constant sitting and moving, working at a computer for extended periods of time, as well as occasional bending and lifting.
9. Ability to effectively plan, prepare, and present material and speeches for publication that conform to prescribed style and format.
11. Outstanding English writing skills and oral communication skills are essential.
12. Willingness and ability to travel as needed.
13. Willingness and ability to work outside of normal business hours.
14. Ability to work with sensitive information and maintain confidentiality.