Deadline of this Job: 25 October 2022JOB DETAILS:
Reports to: Chief of Party
John Snow Health Limited (JSH), a public health organization dedicated to improving the provision of public health services in Zambia and the region, is recruiting for an Advisor – Communications and Knowledge Management for the USAID-funded Controlling HIV Epidemic for Key and Underserved Populations (CHEKUP II). CHEKUP II aims to address the needs of people living with HIV (PLHIV) and those most at risk of acquiring HIV and contribute to HIV mitigation and epidemic control. In addition, the program seeks to improve the health outcomes of priority populations in the highest HIV-burden provinces of Zambia.
The Advisor – Communications and Knowledge Management is a full-time position and will develop and execute the project’s communications and knowledge management strategy. S/he will promptly generate, compile, and disseminate program data and information to program stakeholders and pay close attention to audience preferences for receiving information. The Advisor – Communications and Knowledge Management will work closely with other team members to document and disseminate successes and lessons learned and develop activities and products to distribute information effectively. They will be responsible for creating a multi-channel dissemination strategy using the latest information technology, when appropriate, to reach key stakeholders at the national and international levels. This role will report to the Chief of the Party and be based in Lusaka.
• In collaboration with key program staff, develop and execute an internal and external communications and knowledge management strategy, which includes audience segmentation, key messages, and a robust monitoring and evaluation component;
• Coordinate with key program staff and USAID to determine goals, targets, and program needs (both internal and external) of the communications and knowledge management strategy;
• Advise the Chief of Party and the senior leadership team on all aspects of the program’s communications efforts, ensuring the program is taking advantage of critical communications opportunities and speaking with one voice when communicating externally;
• Work with key program staff to compile, write, and disseminate program quarterly and annual reports for the donor. Coordinate the entire process of developing and completing these reports;
• Ensure all program-produced public communications and materials are branded correctly according to the program’s branding strategy and marking plan;
• Manage consultants and any other communications staff to help implement the communications strategy in the areas of web design, media outreach, photography, videography, and publication design and layout;
• Organize, produce, package, and disseminate program information (print, video, and electronic) promptly to key audiences
• Master’s Degree (or higher ) in public health, international development, communications, or a related field;
• Five years of experience working in a communications and knowledge management role in international development, public health, nonprofit, or corporate settings;
• Proven ability to work with web-based and social media platforms;
• Excellent communication skills (written and verbal) in English;
• Ability to develop, write, and edit technical content for both print publications and the web
• Demonstrated managerial and organizational skills in a fast-paced environment with the flexibility to adapt to changing priorities and deadlines;
• Ability to establish and maintain excellent relationships with program team members, donors, and other cooperating agencies;
• Big picture thinker with strong team-building and organizational skills preferred;
• Prior work history with USAID-funded projects preferred
Supervision and Reporting:
The Advisor – Communications and Knowledge Management will work under the guidance and supervision of the Chief of Party.
Deadline of this Job: 31 October 2022JOB DETAILS:
Communications Lead Africa
Heifer International is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, status as a protected veteran, among other things, or status as a qualified individual with disability.
Communications Lead Africa will be responsible for the implementation of strategy by working closely with consultants and executive management, with the interpretation/ implementation of Heifer’s approved Public Relations brand and reputation management strategies; interpretation and implement Heifer’s internal and external communication engagement strategies and the development of corporate content in line with Heifer’s communication and brand DNA. The Communications Lead Africa will develop a stakeholder matrix and update as needed, identify critical stakeholder expectations, liaise with partner organizations to enhance Heifer’s interest and sustain relationships with Heifer’s key advocates and leverage influence and connections for the benefit of Heifer. This position will assist Heifer’s spokesperson(s) with the preparation of content, event co-ordination and matters related to external engagements; assist with the discovery/development of communication and engagement platforms for spokesperson(s) to articulate Heifer’s point of view. This position will develop relationships with media agencies, publications, editorial staff, and influential columnist; institute capacity building seminars and implement protocol for official interaction for media enquiries, press conferences and media visits.
The role may be located in any of the following countries: Ethiopia, Kenya, Tanzania Uganda, Rwanda, Nigeria, Senegal, Zambia or Malawi.
Essential Character Traits
Customer focus, drives results, nimble learning, decision quality, instills trust, collaborates, self-development, optimizes work processes, action oriented, communicates effectively, cultivates innovation and values differences.
Responsibilities & Deliverables
A. Ensure the implementation of Heifer’s PR/Brand Strategy for Africa (40%)
• Custodian and gatekeeper of corporate narrative/DNA.
• Ensure adoption of all aspects of approved PR/Brand DNA in all content –documents, presentations, brochures, adverts, and speeches.
• Ensure that corporate narrative is deeply entrenched in all internal and external communication and visual expression.
• Ensure that corporate narrative is deeply entrenched in all internal and external communication and visual expression.
• Direct Heifer Africa brand positioning business wide through cross functional and cross-team co-ordination and cooperation.
• Serve as a champion for internal PR/corporate narrative.
• Influence the tone, look, and feel of shared media platforms with close coordination with the Global Communications Team.
• Receive strategic direction and manage relationships/information flow with retained PR consultants.
• Provide feedback and observations towards refining or re-thinking strategies.
B. Position Heifer appropriately in the public domain. (20%)
• Key media interface.
• Key event organizer.
• Identifies suitable positioning opportunities.
• Mitigates reputation risk.
• Ensure top of the mind awareness for Heifer and achieve the highest visibility in
• the development sector in key media, by ensuring 80% positive media mention.
• Position Heifer for thought leadership through visible collaboration and participation across Africa.
• Identify suitable programs, events and initiatives for media leveraging and positioning.
• Assist with developing the business case for Heifer and ensure visibility with key business media, government and the local donor community.
• Ghosts write opinion pieces positioning Heifer Africa experts as thought leaders.
C. Responsible for Heifer Africa content development - content, look and feel across all media and engagements (20%)
• Assist with development of speeches/presentations/brochures/ infomercials/ short clip videos.
• Assist with responses to media enquiries.
• Manages all executive external and internal communication.
• Provide high quality, consistent program and thematic content based on approved communication and brand DNA in multiple media channels including press, web, and social media.
• Ensures that content, look and feel positions Africa as aspirational and Heifer as:
i. A partner in progress – an organization that prioritizes Africa because of the abundant opportunities in Africa.
ii. An organization that desires local collaboration with farmers, government, local donors, and international community.
iii. Competing for big ticket funds.
iv. Implementing signature projects which enhance local food securityand know Africans can help themselves.
v. Interested in climate change impact and issues of water in the Sahel region.
vi. Deep understanding of Africa after 45 years.
• Collaborate with Global Communications Team on production of high-quality audiovisual context.
D. Coordinates interaction with critical stakeholders (15%)
• Assist executive management to prioritize and manage engagement with critical stakeholders in media, donor community, partnerships, government, and regulators.
• Co-ordinates critical stakeholder management.
• Assists corporate spokesperson(s).
• Minimize friction with critical stakeholders.
• Scans the environment from time to time and identifies future or perceived challenges for Heifer.
• Develop critical stakeholder matrix and expectation management document to be revised from time to time (as needed).
• Develop reputation risk register – identify key reputation risk and advice executive management how to mitigate the same.
• Work with retained consultants and Global Communications Team to implement crisis management document scenario planning and shelf ready responses.
• Develop quarterly schedule of interactions between identified critical stakeholders and executive management.
E. May perform other job-related duties as assigned (5%)
a. Bachelor’s degree in social sciences, humanities, or related degree plus a minimum of five (5) years’ experience in a reputable PR/Brand consulting firm, PR, or Corporate Communications at a large corporate organization preferably multi-national. Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
a. Master’s degree in social sciences, humanities, or related degree, plus three (3) years’ experience in a reputable PR/Brand consulting firm, PR, or Corporate Communications at a large corporate organization preferably multi-national. Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
Most Critical Proficiencies
1. Knowledge of public relations work applied across all forms of media.
2. Strong writing, editing and presentation skills.
3. Demonstrated knowledge and skills of building networks, partners and collaborations for media and positioning.
5. Negotiation skills including ability to listen and persuade.
6. Work with a global mindset preferably with demonstrated experience in working
7. at local, and global levels.
8. Demonstrated experience of working with diverse cultural groups, and gender equity approach.
10. Experience in taking complex ideas and capturing in accessible ways and multiple formats – briefing papers, positioning pieces, publications, press releases, and social media.
13. Experienced in identifying and managing sensitive media issues and crisis
14. Ability to collaborate and build positive working relationships with multiple internal and external partners.
15. Experience with the design and implementation of results-oriented communication strategies.
17. Demonstrated experience managing and/or facilitating events, small convenings, and forums of experts preferred.
Essential Job Functions and Physical Demands
1. Ability to inspire and support the team and give expression to Heifer’s mission
2. through word, media, and public relations activities.
3. Constant face-to-face, telephone and electronic communication with colleagues and the public.
5. Ability to confidently give oral presentations and impromptu speeches to a wide range of audiences.
7. May require constant sitting and moving, working at a computer for extended periods of time, as well as occasional bending and lifting.
9. Ability to effectively plan, prepare, and present material and speeches for publication that conform to prescribed style and format.
11. Outstanding English writing skills and oral communication skills are essential.
12. Willingness and ability to travel as needed.
13. Willingness and ability to work outside of normal business hours.
14. Ability to work with sensitive information and maintain confidentiality.