Vacancy title: Accountant[ Type: FULL TIME , Industry: Professional Services , Category: Accounting & Finance ]
Jobs at:Prisoners’ Future Foundation (PFF)
Deadline of this Job:
17 February 2023
Date Posted: Wednesday, February 15, 2023 , Base Salary: Not Disclosed
LOCATION: Kabwe, Zambia
DEPARTMENT/UNIT: Finance & Administration
REPORTS TO: Executive Director
POSTING DATE: 12/02/2023
DEADLINE DATE: 17/02/2022
Prisoners’ Future Foundation (PFF) is a local non-governmental organization duly registered in the Republic of Zambia under the NGO Act of 2009. The organization was formed to look into the welfare of serving and former inmates, including citizens who come in contact with the criminal justice. Its objective is to supplement government efforts in responding to the needs of serving and ex- inmates. Over the years, the organization has been instrumental in supporting the rights of the inmates.
The Accountant takes overall responsibility for guiding the finance roles at PFF, ensuring quality assurance and compliance in financial management, providing financial information to management team and budget holders. In addition, provides technical support and inputs to programme planning, budgeting and implementation support to management in reporting, representation, monitoring and evaluation. This being a dual function role, the Officer is also responsible for efficient and careful handling of cash, undertaking approved payments by both cash and cheques and maintaining the cash book up to date and reconciled. In addition the position takes the initiative to ensure that PFF funds are used in the best possible way.
PFF seeks a dynamic and highly experienced candidate for the position of Accountant based in Kabwe, Zambia. S/he will manage project finances and work closely with the Assistant Accountant in the Kabwe office, as well as provide financial oversight and support to the organization. This position will report to the Executive Director and help in achieving the project’s goals and objectives.
• Provide direct supervision to the Assistant Accountants, including developing individual roles and responsibilities, the definition of tasks, development, and documentation of professional development plans, and conducting performance appraisals.
• Provide support to oversee financial management and expenditures at PFF head office and work in close collaboration with programs staff.
• Assist the Executive Director in providing financial and compliance guidance during the work-plan budgeting process.
• Develop an annual budget for operations support, with guidance and feedback from senior management. Ensure that the budget accurately reflects the approved work plan. In collaboration with the technical staff, participate in the development of the budget for technical activities.
• Ensure that the Chart of Accounts supports tracking for production of the annual PFF expenditure report; draft report with management staff.
• Manage budget tracking and projections and prepare routine financial reports (monthly, quarterly, annual).
• Manage PFF projects, including close monitoring of cash flow and projections.
• Manage relationships with the bank for PFF accounts.
• Implement and monitor effective financial management systems and rigorous internal controls to ensure that all financial reporting is accurate, cost-efficient, and transparent, ensuring compliance with financial rules and regulations, policies, and local laws at all times.
• Monitor and track project income and expenditure against budget and regular updating of projections.
• Monitor the use of the PFF Chart of Accounts and Finance Manual and train the assistant accountant in its use.
• Ensure a culture of compliance and monitor and supervise internal audits and compliance checks, implement corrective action plans and act as the audit focal point for PFF audits in coordination with other PFF projects
• Ensure compliance with ZRA, NAPSA, and other statutory returns at all times.
• Review all project financial policies, procedures, and issues before disseminating to project staff, donors, and partners.
• Support PFF in audit preparation and work closely with Auditors
• Manage funds at local bank accounts, including balance monitoring, daily transaction posting and reconciliations, and approve expenditures in accordance with PFF and donor procedures, cost principles, and regulations.
• Oversee monthly financial reporting, assuring accuracy, compliance, and timeliness, including reviewing the QuickBooks database, and performing bank account and petty cash reconciliations.
• Trouble-shoot any challenges in documentation or reporting.
• Assist in managing the level of outstanding advances.
• Review and monitor monthly invoices to and payments from the Project.
• Review and monitor monthly invoices from and payment to project sub-recipients.
• Implement and adhere to PFF’s personnel, financial, operations, and fraud management policies.
• Plan, perform and supervise internal audits of accounts payable, accounts receivable, payroll, fixed assets, and petty cash.
• Review and approve bank reconciliations and the reconciliation of petty cash and fund report at time of replenishment.
• Review submission of all tax withholdings (payroll income tax, deduction at source) to relevant parties.
• Conduct payroll and ensure allocation of payroll costs to appropriate general ledger accounts.
• Travel to project sites as needed.
• Perform other duties as assigned by the Executive Director
Bachelors in finance, accounting, business, economics, or related field with a minimum of 3 years of direct work experience in financial, grants, or contracts management in Zambia with senior-level project administration and financial responsibility.
• Bachelor’s degree in related field require
• Zambia Institute of Chartered Accountants (ZICA), Association of Certified Chartered Accountants (ACCA), Chartered Institute of Management Accountants (CIMA) or equivalent professional qualifications
• Member of ZICA
• Minimum of 3 years’ experience; managing donor support in an NGO experience desirable
• Thorough understanding of financial accounting, reporting, and grants and contracts management processes
• Lead the Finance Department in an effective and efficient financial planning and management of resources
• Excellent interpersonal and communications skills
• Demonstrated leadership, versatility, and integrity
• Fluency in spoken and written English required
• Proven record of systems strengthening and internal controls.
• Ability to take initiative and lead teams. Supervisory, coaching, and management experience are required.
• Proficiency in Microsoft Word and Excel required.
Supervision and Reporting:
This position will work under the guidance and supervision of the Executive Director.
Work Hours: 8
Experience in Months: 36
Level of Education: Bachelor Degree
Job application procedure
Applicants are required to submit a cover letter, copies of academic/professional qualifications and CV with three traceable references with full addresses and contact information to the Executive Director on; email@example.com
Please note that you do not need to apply if you don’t meet the minimum requirements. Only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. If you have not heard from us within 3 days after the closing date, kindly assume that your application was not successful.
Closing Date: February 17, 2023
PFF is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action Employer committed to workplace diversity. We are committed to providing equal employment opportunities for all qualified applicants and employees without regard to age, race, color, national origin, ancestry, creed, religion, gender, disability and marital status
Join a Focused Community on job search to uncover both advertised and non-advertised jobs that you may not be aware of. A jobs WhatsApp Group Community can ensure that you know the opportunities happening around you and a jobs Facebook Group Community provides an opportunity to discuss with employers who need to fill urgent position. Click the links to join. You can view previously sent Email Alerts here incase you missed them and Subscribe so that you never miss out.