Accounts Assistant (ECOSOCC)
Jobs at:African Union
Deadline of this Job:
Thursday, October 26 2023
Date Posted: Wednesday, September 27 2023, Base Salary: Not Disclosed
Purpose of Job
Under the supervision of the Finance Officer, the Assistant Accountant is charged with processing financial transactions and maintaining financial records, assist the unit with administrative matters and provide support to the Finance Officer on finance functions.
The Assistant Accountant shall:
• Provide support in preparing budget documents, registering financial transactions, following up on budget implementation
• Provide support on procurement and general administration tasks
• Provide support on administrative matters led by the Senior Finance and Administration Officer .
• Classify, code and post of transactions into the Accounting Software;
• Analyze accounts and establishing correct balances;
• Verify the correctness and completeness of supplier invoices, contracts and orders before entering into the Accounting Software;
• Assist in proper processing of fund transactions and in financial reports preparation, both for donors and internal management
• Assist in budget drafting, monitoring and control;
• Assist in process of ensuring that fund disbursements are made for expenditures indicated in the budget/work plan for executing programmes/projects as specified.
• Complete monthly bank reconciliations for petty cash in a timely manner
• Assist with the compilation of financial information
• Support the timely preparation of monthly financial reports and annual statutory financial statements
• Perform general banking duties.
• Assist with adherence to AU Administration and Financial Rules and Regulations.
• Assist the Finance Officer with external audit requirements.
• Maintain a proper filing and recording system for all incoming and outgoing correspondence and documents;
• Provide, administrative support for meetings, seminars and/or workshops.
• Create, update and maintain organised files and records including a system for tracking, monitoring and prioritising tasks;
• Process all financial transactions including accounts receivable and payable.
• Perform any other duties as may be assigned by the Finance Officer.
Academic Requirements and Relevant Experience
• A minimum of a Diploma in Accounting, Finance, Business Management or any related field from a recognized educational institution. OR a Bachelor Degree or a higher qualification in the above-mentioned fields of study would be an added advantage,
• Three (3) and two (2) years relevant work experience in finance and accounting work respectively for Diploma and Bachelor degree holders respectively.
• A higher qualification than Bachelor degree in the above-mentioned fields of study would be an added advantage
• A minimum of three (3) and two (2) years relevant work experience in finance and accounting work respectively, for Diploma and Bachelor Degree holders.
• Experience in administrative support role is required.
• Attention to detail and ability to work effectively under pressure;
• Proven ability to use clear, concise language in correspondence as well as including content fitting for the purpose and audiences when preparing written briefs and reports;
• Good interpersonal skills, well organized and systematic, adept in multitasking, quick to learn and is committed to operating in a team environment.
• Demonstrated ability with regard to computer skills, including excellent word processing capabilities, proficiency with e-mail and internet applications, experience in using programs such as MS Word, Excel and Power Point;
• Very good interpersonal skills
• Readiness to work on flexible schedule
• Able to operate in a multicultural environment
• High level of autonomy at work, yet with profound team-spirit
• Adaptive, Patient, resilient and flexible
• Pro-active and solutions oriented
• Excellent capacity to use office computer applications. Knowledge of the SAP system is highly preferred.
• Proficiency in at least two of the African Union working languages (Arabic, English, French, Portuguese, Kiswahili and Spanish), with higher preference to English, French and Arabic. Knowledge of one more or several other working languages would be an added advantage.
..Risk Awareness and Compliance
..Teamwork and Collaboration
Accountability awareness and Compliance;
..Job Knowledge Sharing
..Continuous Improvement Awareness
Tenure Of Appointment:
The appointment will be made on a regular term contract for a period of three (3) years, of which the first twelve months shall be considered as a probationary period. Thereafter, the contract will be for a period of two years renewable, subject to satisfactory performance and deliverables.
The AU Commission is an equal opportunity employer and qualified women are strongly encouraged to apply.
• Proficiency in one of the AU working languages (Arabic, English, French, Portuguese, and Spanish) and fluency in another AU language is an added advantage
• Indicative basic salary of US$ 15,758.00 (GSA5 Step1) per annum plus other related entitlements e.g. Post adjustment ( 44% of basic salary), Housing allowance US$ 16,813.44
(per annum), and education allowance (100% of tuition and other education-related expenses for every eligible dependent up to a maximum of US$ 10,000.00 per child per annum), for internationally recruited staff and a maximum of $3,300 per child per annum for locally recruited staff.
Work Hours: 8
Experience in Months: 36
Level of Education: Postgraduate Degree
Job application procedure
Applications must be submitted no later than October 26, 2023 11h59 p.m. EAT.
-Only candidates who meet all job requirements and are selected for interviews will be contacted.
-Consideration will be given only to those candidates who have submitted a fully completed online application with a curriculum vitae (CV), an African passport, and the required academic qualifications, such as Diplomas, Bachelor’s degrees, Master’s degrees and any relevant certificate in line with the area of expertise.
-The African Union is an equal opportunity employer, and female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
-Candidates from less represented countries within the African Union are strongly encouraged to apply for positions that fit their profiles. These countries include Algeria, Angola, Cape Verde, Central African Republic, Comoros, Egypt, Equatorial Guinea, Eritrea, Eswatini, Guinea, Guinea-Bissau, Liberia, Libya, Madagascar, Mali, Morocco, Namibia, Niger, Sahrawi D.R., Sao Tome and Principe., Seychelles, Somalia and Tunisia.
Requisition ID: 1976
Interested and qualified? Click here to apply
Join a Focused Community on job search to uncover both advertised and non-advertised jobs that you may not be aware of. A jobs WhatsApp Group Community can ensure that you know the opportunities happening around you and a jobs Facebook Group Community provides an opportunity to discuss with employers who need to fill urgent position. Click the links to join. You can view previously sent Email Alerts here incase you missed them and Subscribe so that you never miss out.