Admin and Finance Assistant
Jobs at:Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO)
Deadline of this Job:
Wednesday, October 25 2023
Date Posted: Thursday, October 12 2023, Base Salary: Not Disclosed
• Under the overall supervision of the FAO Representative and the direct supervision of the Assistant FAO Representative (Administration), the Administrative and Finance Assistant ensures quality, transparency and consistency of data and processes within his/her area of responsibility and contributes to a smooth functioning of the work of the unit.
Tasks and Responsibilities
The incumbent will be responsible for the day-to-day operations in conformity with the relevant rules, procedures and practices of the Organization focusing on the quality of work outputs and meeting of timelines. In particular, the incumbent will perform the following tasks:
• Maintain financial records and monitoring systems for the office; maintain imprest accounts; reconcile expenditures, balances, payments, statements and other data for day-to-day transactions and reports;
• Manage the Country Office petty cash; monitor project and programme accounts for which responsibility is assigned;
• Analyze data from a wide variety of sources, including FAO’s corporate systems and data bases; verify accuracy of data documents; make necessary calculations;
• Verify availability of funds under all programmes; ensure that operational expenditures are in accordance with approved budgets and that all committing documents are complete and consistent;
• Prepare correspondence of administrative and financial nature; draft correspondence to verify data, answer queries, and obtain additional information on transactions and financial matters, as required;
• Maintain detailed records of budget estimates, obligations and available balances; participate in the consolidation of budget proposals; prepare financial data for budget estimates and financial planning;
• Provide reports on budgetary performance of office and project accounts; report variations from budgets;
• Maintain local inventory records with responsibility for proper recording of assets, their maintenance and safeguard;
• Maintain a filing system of administrative and financial documents;
• Maintain liaison with local banks and financial institutions to keep up-to-date with financial and regulatory information (exchange and interest rates, procedures and rules, maintenance of bank accounts, etc.);
• Research/compile financial data; assist in the preparation/finalization of budget performance reports, carrying out preliminary analysis of variances between budgets and actual expenditures;
• Prepare detailed cost estimates and other data for use in budget analysis and proposals;
• Review payments to vendors for goods and services including calculating and verifying payments for correctness and communicating discrepancies to supervisors;
• Review draft reports, verifying overall accuracy, consistency and uniformity in the presentation; cross-check consistency of figures; drafts/prepares routine correspondence;
• Support the streamlining of procedures and practices, and the administration of personnel and equipment;
• Performs other duties as required for the smooth operations of the office.
Candidates should meet the following:
• Minimum a university degree in Agribusiness, Agricultural Economics, Social Sciences, Business Administration, or other fields related to the FAO mandate.
• At least 2 years of relevant experience in field implementation of project activities, project operations and support involving agribusiness and enterprise development promotion.
• Working knowledge of English and possession of relevant computer/word-processing skills.
• National of Zambia.
FAO Core Competencies
• Results Focus
• Building Effective Relationships
• Knowledge Sharing and Continuous Improvement
Please note that all candidates should possess computer/word-processing skills and should be capable of working with people of different national and cultural backgrounds. Candidates will be assessed against the following:
• Extent and relevance of experience in field level coordination, supporting, advising and guiding the implementation of multi-stakeholder projects.
• Extent and relevance of experience working with national and local governments, private sector, NGOs, academic and research institutions, including the Consultative Group on International Agricultural Research (CGIAR), is considered a strong asset.
• Level of communication skills, writing skills including ability to write concise technical reports in English.
• Familiarity with FAO and UN (in general) administrative, operational, and financial procedures is an asset.
Work Hours: 8
Experience in Months: 24
Level of Education: Bachelor Degree
Job application procedure
• Interested and qualified? Click here to apply
Join a Focused Community on job search to uncover both advertised and non-advertised jobs that you may not be aware of. A jobs WhatsApp Group Community can ensure that you know the opportunities happening around you and a jobs Facebook Group Community provides an opportunity to discuss with employers who need to fill urgent position. Click the links to join. You can view previously sent Email Alerts here incase you missed them and Subscribe so that you never miss out.