Administration and Finance Officer
Jobs at:Education Development Center (EDC)
Deadline of this Job:
Thursday, August 17 2023
Date Posted: Friday, August 04 2023, Base Salary: Not Disclosed
• Education Development Center (EDC) is a global nonprofit that advances lasting solutions to improve education, promote health, and expand economic opportunity. Since 1958, we have been a leader in designing, implementing, and evaluating powerful and innovative programs in more than 80 countries around the world.
• EDC promotes equity and access to high quality education and health services and products that contribute to thriving communities where people from diverse backgrounds learn, live, and work together. We support an inclusive workplace culture that embraces many perspectives and broadens our understanding of the communities we serve, enhancing and enriching our work.
EDC is committed to equity, diversity and inclusion in the workplace.
The USAID Let’s Read Zambia project is a 6-year project funded by the United States Agency for International Development (USAID) ending on January 6th 2025 and implemented by the Education Development Center (EDC). USAID Let’s Read Zambia works to improve reading outcomes for children attending pre-primary (kindergarten) through to Grades 3 and provide professional development for teachers to support reading interventions in Zambian public and community schools.
The Administration and Finance Officer (AFO) will be based in Western Province and will manage day-to-day finance and administrative operations, including implementing EDC and USAID policies, procedures and systems, reviewing accounts payable documents for proper accuracy and completeness, and liaising with bank on all banking issues. In addition, the AFO will supports the Finance and Compliance Director in the preparation of field office financial reports and tracking of spending. The AFO will report to the Finance & Compliance Director and will be supervised by the Provincial Office Manager, administratively.
Essential functions include, but are not limited to the following:
• Manages day to day finance operations, including implementing EDC and USAID policies, procedures and systems, reviewing accounts payable documents for proper accuracy and completeness, and liaising with bank on all banking issues;
• Supports the Finance and Compliance Director in the preparation of field office financial reports and tracking of spending;
• Provides updated, timely and accurate financial reports to Finance and Administration Director, as necessary, and monthly ad hoc reports on financial status of project expenses and budget information;
• Manages the process of clearing bills, payments, and vouchers from provincial field offices;
• Request the necessary project funds for the provincial expenditure to be transferred from the central account to field accounts;
• Act as the contact person for provincial level reconciliation of monthly expense reports, and support with Finance and Administration Director to respond to any inquiries from the EDC home office in Washington, DC;
• Assists in the preparation of monthly financial spreadsheets, cash flow forecasts in accordance with appropriate procedures;
• Perform data entry into the accounting software;
• Maintain accurate record keeping;
• Follow up to ensure timesheets for provincial staff are submitted in a timely manner;
• Tracks and monitors fuel consumption at the provincial level;
• Conducts checks on compliance with USAID’s Anti-Terrorist Certification (“ATC”) regulations; and
• Other duties as required.
• Secondary School Leaving Certificate
• Associates or Bachelor’s degree in a related
Skills and Experience:
• A minimum of 3 years of accounting experience;
• Experience supporting USAID or other donor-funded projects;
• Experience working with QuickBooks accounting system or similar product;
• Experience working with computers, especially MS Word and MS Excel;
• Detail-oriented and organized;
• Must be able to work within a cross cultural setting, negotiate diplomatically, and function well under pressure;
• Ability to work hands-on, independently, and within team in difficult work environment;
• Willingness to travel to provinces covered by the project; and
• Willingness to travel to Lusaka to support the main project office.
• Fully paid up member of the Zambia Institute of Chartered Accountants (ZICA).
Fluency in English is required. Knowledge of (and proficiency in) Silozi language highly preferred.
Work Hours: 8
Experience in Months: 36
Level of Education: High School
Job application procedure
• To Apply: Use smart recruiters link and submit your application no later than August 14, 2023. Please include the position title in the subject line.
• Note that local applicants are encouraged.
• To apply for this job please visit jobs.smartrecruiters.com.
Join a Focused Community on job search to uncover both advertised and non-advertised jobs that you may not be aware of. A jobs WhatsApp Group Community can ensure that you know the opportunities happening around you and a jobs Facebook Group Community provides an opportunity to discuss with employers who need to fill urgent position. Click the links to join. You can view previously sent Email Alerts here incase you missed them and Subscribe so that you never miss out.