Vacancy title: Budget / Accounting Assistant[ Type: FULL TIME , Industry: Nonprofit, and NGO , Category: Accounting & Finance ]
Jobs at:Delegation of the European Union to the Republic of Zambia and COMESA
Deadline of this Job:
30 October 2022
Date Posted: Wednesday, October 05, 2022 , Base Salary: Not Disclosed
We offer a post of Budget / Accounting Assistant. Under this post, the recruited person will be attributed functions depending on the needs of the Delegation. Upon recruitment, the successful candidate will occupy a specific job function as Budget / Accounting Assistant – this job function may be changed in accordance with the needs of the Delegation. Under this job function, the successful candidate will serve as technical and support staff to the Head of Finance, Contracts (F&CA) and Audit section in the fulfilment of his/her tasks as regards the management of the Delegation in accordance with existing rules and regulations. He/she will help to provide the sound financial management of transactions for all DEVCO projects and operations under the responsibility of the sub-delegated Authorising Officer (SDAO) in the Delegation to the Republic of Zambia and COMESA, in line with the applicable Financial Regulations, legal basis and DEVCO guidelines.
Functions and duties
• To help ensure that payments are accurately made against amounts due, that any errors in invoicing are rectified and that payments are made within the period stated in the contract and according to EU accounting rules.
• To assist with the preparation of all documents for both call for tenders and call for proposals and other contracting procedures. To help ensure the correctness of EU tendering procedures as well as the award of contracts.
• To act as secretary for evaluations undertaken by the EU Delegation and as an observer and resource person to those undertaken by the Government of Zambia and funded by the EU.
• To verify that contracts, including programme estimates and contribution agreements, are correctly drafted, and conform to the applicable rules and guidelines.
• To assist operational colleagues, Government of Zambia staff, project staff, EU grant beneficiaries and EU contractors with financial and contractual matters and to provide training where necessary.
• To help ensure the proper archiving of financial and legal files in line with EU requirements.
• To assist the Audit Task Manager with the audit of contracts as required, as well as verifying the materiality of claims by visiting projects in the field (“on the spot” visits).
• To help support the implementation of EU internal control standards in the Delegation, notably on operations and control and financial reporting.
• To undertake any other task assigned by the Head of Section.
Working environment and conditions:
We offer a competitive position in an international environment. Benefits, such as additional pension scheme and medical insurance, are offered to employees and their families under certain conditions.
• Place of employment: Lusaka, Zambia
We look for a candidate who is a self-starter, motivated, able to work under pressure, able to work alone with minimal supervision and in a team, respects deadlines, is committed to assure quality, speed and attention to details in performing duties, shows initiative and responsibility, able to deal with stress situations, is pro-active, flexible and discreet.
1. Medically fit to perform the required duties;
2. Enjoys civil rights and permits for employment under local law;
3. Has a satisfactory knowledge of English;
4. Education and training: A minimum of a Bachelor’s degree or equivalent in accounting, finance or other relevant discipline.
5. Professional experience:
• At least 3 years of previous experience in dealing with invoices and making payments.
• At least 3 years of previous experience in dealing with tendering and contract award procedures.
1. Demonstrated good computer skills including experience with MS Office Suite, especially with Excel and Word
The following will be considered an asset:
1. Previous experience of the audit process would be an advantage.
2. Previous experience of working for a development partner, international organisation or similar entity would be an advantage
Work Hours: 8
Experience in Months: 36
Level of Education: Bachelor Degree
Job application procedure
Please send your application and supporting documents by e-mail to:
Mentioning in the subject line: “Vacancy: Budget/Accounts Assistant – Finance, Contracts and Audit Section”.
The application message should include a cover letter, a detailed CV in English and in the local agent CV model (attached to the job description) only with traceable relevant business referees and scanned copy of relevant qualifications (educational and working experience).
Join a Focused Community on job search to uncover both advertised and non-advertised jobs that you may not be aware of. A jobs WhatsApp Group Community can ensure that you know the opportunities happening around you and a jobs Facebook Group Community provides an opportunity to discuss with employers who need to fill urgent position. Click the links to join. You can view previously sent Email Alerts here incase you missed them and Subscribe so that you never miss out.