Call for Expression of Interest
Jobs at:MISA Zambia
Deadline of this Job:
31 March 2022
Date Posted: Monday, March 28, 2022 , Base Salary: Not Disclosed
Call for Expression of Interest
To create an online mechanism to receive, analyze and publish media freedom, freedom of expression and digital rights violations.
Report to: MISA Zambia National Director
Application deadline : 31st March, 2022
About MISA Zambia
MISA Zambia is a membership – driven organization which has been in existence since 1995 as part of a regional body. MISA Zambia has been working to promote a sustainable, non-partisan, independent, plural and diverse media that informs and empowers society, promotes democracy, good governance and freedom of expression in an ethical, competent and professional manner.
Our Vision is “A society where there is freedom of expression and media freedom for all.” While our Mission statement seeks to “To promote media freedom and freedom of expression through research, capacity building and advocacy in the interest of strengthening democracy and good governance in Zambia.’’
MISA Zambia is one of the local partners that FHI 360 and Internews have entered into partnership with under the USAID Open Spaces Zambia (OSZ) activity, to strengthen the democratic foundations of freedom of speech and assembly; build independent and new media; and safeguard a space for activists, human rights defenders (HRDs), and oppositional voices to protect shrinking democratic space in Zambia.
Freedom of expression, media freedom and digital rights are key to a fully functional democracy, development that leaves no one behind and good governance. However, these freedoms are often times endangered through arbitrary application of the law, enactment of draconian laws, acts of impunity against journalists, media houses, human rights defenders, activists and digital space users who wish to claim their rights to make their demands known or seek accountability from duty bearers. To prevent such ill acts and promote these vital freedoms and rights, MISA Zambia plans to create an effective online mechanism for reporting, recording, and analysing violation of these freedoms/right. The objective behind having such a platform is to develop evidence that will be used to conduct evidence-based advocacy.
Democracy and good governance can only be promoted if media is independent and effective. Media can only be free and effective if draconian acts and use of the law to oppress dissenting views are curbed through evidence-based advocacy. Further, when citizens are free to express themselves, their ability to hold the state accountable, demand their rights, and effectively participate in decision making processes without fear of arbitrary acts from the powerful in Zambia and draconian laws takes effect.
However, without sufficient evidence to lobby for improved operating environment for media freedom, freedom of expression, human rights defenders and activists, advocacy work on law reforms and improved social practice to defend these actors would be rendered futile.
This activity therefore seeks to create an online mechanism for receiving, analyzing and publishing media freedom, freedom of expression and digital rights violations as a means to create evidence to be used for advocacy and conduct actions in defense of media freedom, freedom of expression and digital rights.
Scope of Work
The scope of work will include;
• To create an online mechanism for receiving, analyzing and publishing media freedom, freedom of expression and digital rights violations;
• To link the online mechanism to the MISA Zambia main website;
• To review and upgrade the current MISA Zambia online mechanism;
• To orient MISA Zambia staff on the use of the new mechanism;
• To provide one year mentorship in the use of the online mechanism.
a) Formal Qualifications
• At least a bachelor’s degree in Information Communication Technologies – ICTs
• Must be a member of the Information and Communications Technology Association of Zambia – ICTAZ
b) Professional Expertise
• The ICTs specialist or company should have knowledge in website development;
• Development of online platforms for data entry and analysis;
• The platforms should be capable of producing analytical infographics; and
• Must have track record of providing online data collection and analysis tools/solutions that are effective and user-friendly.
• At least five years’ professional experience in website development, online data entry and analysis tools development;
• Prior evidence of work related to website upgrading; and
• Demonstrated capacity to conduct knowledge transfer to client on management and maintenance of the platform.
d) Skills and Competencies:
• Ability to work with little supervision
• Ability to comprehend and effect the vision of the client;
• Evidence of having undertaken similar assignments in the past with traceable references.
MISA Zambia and Internews shall be responsible for co-ordination of the activity including development of categories to be included in the database and data to be used under the said assignment.
Education Requirement: No Requirements
Job Experience: No Requirements
Work Hours: 8
Job application procedure
Interested candidates should submit their application which should include a cover letter, a detailed CV (max 3pages) or profile to the address below:
POSTAL & PHYSICAL ADDRESS:
P.O. Box 32295
Olympia Park, Lusaka
Plot 3814, Martin Mwamba Road
Mr Austin Kayanda
National Director MISA Zambia
Tel: +260 211 294285 /6
Programmes Manager MISA Zambia
Assistant Programmes Officer MISA Zambia
Join a Focused Community on job search to uncover both advertised and non-advertised jobs that you may not be aware of. A jobs WhatsApp Group Community can ensure that you know the opportunities happening around you and a jobs Facebook Group Community provides an opportunity to discuss with employers who need to fill urgent position. Click the links to join. You can view previously sent Email Alerts here incase you missed them and Subscribe so that you never miss out.