Vacancy title: Carbon Accountant[ Type: FULL TIME , Industry: Professional Services , Category: Accounting & Finance ]
Deadline of this Job:
16 February 2023
Date Posted: Thursday, February 02, 2023 , Base Salary: Not Disclosed
BCP is recruiting a Carbon Accountant to support BCP in a new phase of project development, conservation technology developments, and impact monitoring. The primary responsibility of the Carbon accountant is to achieve VCS and CCB verifications, conduct pre-viability studies, oversee impact monitoring, oversee geospatial technology, data management, and IT, and keep BCP at the forefront of REDD+ methodological developments in Zambia and beyond. The position oversees teams dealing with remote sensing and GIS, forest monitoring, and impact monitoring. The position requires advanced remote sensing and GIS skills, as well as skills in data management, conducting fieldwork in rural Africa, advanced spreadsheet skills, excellent English writing skills, and knowledge of REDD+ project methodologies. The position is based in Lusaka, Zambia, but part-time could be held remotely. The main tasks will be managing verification processes, managing consultants and field teams, and managing BCP’s database development, and data systems. This role has the exciting opportunity to lead BCP’s digital technology strategy. The position will require some travel to rural areas, mainly in Africa. The candidate is expected to be a solid team player, with a growth and coaching mindset.
• Pre-viability analyses of potential new REDD+ project areas,
• Support successful VCS and CCB verifications, including PD writing.
• Flawless English writing technical skills.
• RS/GIS: Advanced geospatial skills, ability to apply these skills to REDD+ methodologies, advanced spreadsheet management, and data management skills.
• Manage the plot sampling process to produce carbon inventory estimates,
• Train in carbon standards and ensure project design follows standards and laws.
• Experience with VCS and CCB verification process
• Provide technical inputs to policy programs to help build the REDD+ framework in Africa.
• Supervise the Forest Monitoring Coordinator in reviewing and updating Forest Inventory protocols in line with updates to VCS/CCB standards and methodologies.
• Perform historic deforestation analysis using open-source OPTICAL, RADAR, and multispectral imagery data in Google Earth Engine.
• Perform desk-based pre-viability studies for BCP or other clients’ potential new project areas.
Alliance Builders Wanted:
A master’s in a related field with a Ph.D. will be added advantage in addition to 2 years of professional experience.
• World-class carbon standards skills with substantial verification knowledge
• Forest inventory and biometric analysis experience are a plus.
• Biomass/carbon modeling and accounting experience.
• Model builder experience
• Advanced scientific report writing.
• Computer skills: Use of FOSS remote sensing and GIS software, such as Java Script for Google Earth Engine, R, Gdal, QGIS, GRASS, data collection tools such as Open Data Kit and CyberTracker, and GPS applications such as Back Country Navigator.
• Knowledge of GHG mitigation Standards preferred: VCS REDD+ methodologies, the VCS/CCB standards, and guidelines in general as well as other applicable UNFCCC guidelines such as the IPCC guidelines as well as relevant components of the CCB Standard.
• As an equal opportunity employer, a competitive salary will be offered, plus training, plus the potential for performance bonuses, plus health benefits, plus a great work culture, plus career growth, and working with a diverse and committed team.
Job Experience: No Requirements
Work Hours: 8
Level of Education: Associate Degree
Job application procedure
Candidates interested in joining an innovative and high-performance team, and working towards doing amazing things in conservation technology and livelihoods, please send a CV, a cover letter, 3 reference contacts, and anything else that makes your application stand out by email to email@example.com with Carbon Accountant in the subject line. Please also send anything else that will help your application stand out.
For more details about the job and to find out about BCP visit us at https://bcp.earth/careers/
Join a Focused Community on job search to uncover both advertised and non-advertised jobs that you may not be aware of. A jobs WhatsApp Group Community can ensure that you know the opportunities happening around you and a jobs Facebook Group Community provides an opportunity to discuss with employers who need to fill urgent position. Click the links to join. You can view previously sent Email Alerts here incase you missed them and Subscribe so that you never miss out.