Child Health and Immunisation Advisor
Jobs at:Save the Children
Deadline of this Job:
08 April 2022
Date Posted: Friday, March 25, 2022 , Base Salary: Not Disclosed
Job Title: Child Health and Immunisation Advisor
Team/Programme: Programme Development and Quality
Location: Lusaka, Zambia
Post Type: National
Child Safeguarding: Level 3 - the responsibilities of the post may require the post holder to have regular contact with or access to children or young people.
The Child Health and Immunisation Advisor, in collaboration with two designated Momentum Country and Global Leadership (MCGL) Provincial Child Health and Immunisation Advisors, will work closely with the relevant units at all levels of the Ministry of Health (MOH) and with respective implementing partners to plan, implement and evaluate Child Health and Immunisation interventions in target districts in Central and Northern provinces. The Child Health and Immunisation Advisor will be based in Lusaka with frequent travel to provinces. He/she will: represent MCGL at various national technical working groups and committees related to child health and immunization; ensure deliverables within their technical area are implemented according to the set work plan; and ensure that best practices and key lessons learned are captured. On a day-to-day basis, he/she will work under the direction of the MCGL Project Lead.
The Child Health and Immunisation Advisor will provide direct technical support to MCGL’s Provincial TA Leads, in collaboration with national and provincial health teams, to plan, implement and monitor integrated Child Health and Immunisation activities. The Child Health and Immunisation Advisor will ensure the quality of key Child Health and Immunisation interventions, approaches to strengthen service delivery, and documentation of implementation activities. The Advisor will support provincial level staff to ensure program deliverables are achieved in a timely manner, consistent with the activity work plan. The Child Health and Immunization Advisor will also ensure key lessons learned and best practices are captured and documented.
Scope of Role:
Reports to: MCGL Project Lead
Staff directly reporting to this post: Nil
Key Areas of Accountability:
• Coordinate and provide integrated technical support to the MOH and MCGL Provincial Teams to implement key Child Health and Immunisation activities within existing reproductive, maternal, newborn, child and adolescent health (RMNCAH) provincial and district annual plans, identifying and addressing gaps;
• Support Provincial Coordinators to provide technical assistance and capacity building to provinces and districts with a comprehensive focus on interventions that help children thrive through the prevention and treatment of childhood illnesses e.g Early Childhood Development (ECD), Integrated Management of Newborn and Childhood Illness (IMNCI) and the Expanded Program for Immunization (EPI) in coordination with RMN advisor.
• Collaborate with the MOH to ensure the technical integrity and quality of program implementation at all levels;
• Build capacity of provincial MOH staff and MCGL Teams to improve Child Health and Immunisation service delivery and quality, using proven training approaches, mentorship and quality improvement methodologies and strategies;
• In collaboration with MCGL provincial teams, provide on-the-job training, follow-up support, and clinical mentoring to target facilities;
• Play a key role in the strategic planning, implementation, and monitoring and evaluation of activities to improve Child Health and Immunisation services;
• Maintain strategic relationships with the MOH provincial and district teams and other relevant stakeholders for the smooth implementation of program activities;
• Provide TA to Child Health and Immunisation trainings, meetings and workshops at the national, provincial, and district levels, as relevant to the program.
• Coordinate with relevant Child Health and Immunisation/ RMNCAH technical advisors and programmatic staff working on other public and donor funded programs (i.e. FHN,G2G and PeACE), to minimize duplication and support learning across programs;
• Contribute to the analysis, synthesis, and reporting of program outputs and results in close collaboration with the M&E team, and ensure incorporation of lessons learned into ongoing implementation;
• Provide technical assistance to Quality Improvement Advisors and District Health Officers on Child Health and Immunisations;
• Represent MCGL at Government of Republic of Zambia (GRZ), MOH and other relevant stakeholder meetings and conferences, as may be appropriate;
• Contribute to the development of annual work plans and budgets, training plans, quarterly reports and other reports as required;
• Ensure the timeliness and quality of all reporting;
• The post holder may be required to carry out additional duties within reason and according to their level of skill and experience.
Skills and Behaviours (our Values in Practice)
• Holds self-accountable for making decisions, managing resources efficiently, achieving and role modelling Save the Children values
• Holds the team and partners accountable to deliver on their responsibilities - giving them the freedom to deliver in the best way they see fit, providing the necessary development to improve performance and applying appropriate consequences when results are not achieved
• Sets ambitious and challenging goals for themselves (and their team), takes responsibility for their own personal development and encourages others to do the same
• Widely shares their personal vision for Save the Children, engages and motivates others
• Future orientated, thinks strategically
• Builds and maintains effective relationships, with their team, colleagues, members and external partners and supporters
• Values diversity, sees it as a source of competitive strength
• Approachable, good listener, easy to talk to
• Develops and encourages new and innovative solutions
• Willing to take disciplined risks
• Honest, encourages openness and transparency
Qualifications and Experience
• Clinician, midwife or post-diploma nurse with a post-graduate degree, public health degree or equivalent combination of training and experience;
• At least five years of relevant work experience in successfully implementing Child Health and Immunisation programs;
• Familiarity with evidence-based Child Health and Immunisation interventions and best practices that are the focus of this project;
• Previous working relationships within USAID programs and with key multilateral agencies, bilateral donors and academic institutions;
• Demonstrated ability to work within a multi-faceted health development program in collaboration with national MOH personnel and local and international partners;
• A demonstrated track record in providing mentorship and supervision to strengthen healthcare services, training and use of quality improvement approaches;
• Ability to work in a complex environment with multiple tasks, short deadlines and intense pressure to perform;
• Ability to work independently and also as a team leader/member with diverse team of partners and counterparts;
• Excellent interpersonal and communication skills (oral, written and presentation);
• Excellent computer skills and experience working with Microsoft Office applications;
• English fluency (verbal and written) required;
Ability to travel to the provinces 50% of the time.
Save the Children is an equal opportunity employer and qualified female applicants are encouraged to apply.
Education Requirement: No Requirements
Work Hours: 8
Experience in Months: 60
Join a Focused Community on job search to uncover both advertised and non-advertised jobs that you may not be aware of. A jobs WhatsApp Group Community can ensure that you know the opportunities happening around you and a jobs Facebook Group Community provides an opportunity to discuss with employers who need to fill urgent position. Click the links to join. You can view previously sent Email Alerts here incase you missed them and Subscribe so that you never miss out.