Community Fisheries Management (Consultant)
Jobs at:World Wide Fund for Nature
Deadline of this Job:
05 November 2022
Date Posted: Wednesday, October 26, 2022 , Base Salary: Not Disclosed
Job Title: Community Fisheries Management (Consultant) Based in Menongue Angola
Associação para a Conservação do Ambiente e Desenvolvimento Integrado Rural (Portuguese) or Association of Environmental Conservation and Rural Integrated Development, abbreviated ACADIR, is a non-governmental organisation founded in 2001. ACADIR is based in the province of Cuando Cubango, in Menongue city, with the goal of protection and conservation of the environmental and the sustainable development of communities. ACADIR has been working in the Angolan portion of the Okavango River basin for more than 15 years. ACADIR has implemented community conservation and development activities in Cuando-Cubango Province in the localities of Caiundo, Cuangar, Calai, Mucusso and Savate.
WWF (the World Wide Fund for Nature) is an International Non-Governmental Organization. Our mission is to stop the degradation of the planet’s natural environment and to build a future in which humans live in harmony with nature. WWF is working with companies, governments, communities and other partners in watershed protection and the sustainable management of shared water resources in the public interest through collective actions at basin level. WWF has worked on freshwater conservation for decades and is a strong advocate for responsible private sector engagement on water issues. ACADIR and WWF have partnered to advance community-based Fisheries management in the Lower Cuando River. To bring stakeholders together to promote community based approaches for the management of Fisheries and to build capacity within the community to prevent the use of effective but illegal gears of fishing that can result in depleting the fisheries resources and to promote establishment of Community fisheries reserves for conservation of fish biodiversity, food security and household livelihoods.
The Community Fisheries Management Officer will support ACADIR in the implementation of the community-based fisheries program in Angola and collaborate with partners on the Namibian side of the Kwando River and as well as the Zambian side of the Kwando River and the broader Kavango Zambezi landscape to drive a holistic approach to community-based fisheries management and Fish Reserve creation. . The role involves working closely with WWF, Namibia Nature Foundation (NNF), The Nature Conservancy (TNC) and ACADIR staff and in partnership with fishermen, local community members, fishing industry, government, and non-governmental organizations. This position supports the establishment and implementation of community fisheries management in Cuando-Cubango Province. The Community Fisheries Management Officer reports directly to the Freshwater Team Lead at WWF Zambia and indirectly to ACADIR’s Executive Director, and will be based in Menongue, Cuando-Cubango Province of Angola.
Community Fisheries Management Officer
• Supports preparation and implementation of the Community Fisheries Management work plan and budgets.
• Supports fisheries cooperatives / associations and the general community to develop and enforce by-laws that advance sustainable fishing practices in their respective village waters, including effective patrols, monitoring, awareness and reducing usage of illegal and damaging fishing gear.
• Supports formation and capacity building of fisheries co-management institutions along the Cuando River in Angola, as well as the identification and protection of community-defined fish breeding and nursery areas through the establishment of Fish Reserves. Engagement includes both communities and government
• Trains fishers and fisheries cooperatives on fisheries management and freshwater conservation, sustainable fish harvesting and legal fishing methods. Fosters cross-site learning among fisheries cooperatives, the associated communities, government institutions and partners within the project area to promote best fishing practices. Specifically, the Fisheries Officer will be responsible for organizing regular “Fisheries Cohort” meetings with NNF, WWF, and ACADIR to leverage cross-fertilization of knowledge and advance common policy and on-the-ground fisheries management in the region.
• Supports fisheries cooperatives / associations and the general community to develop and enforce by-laws that advance sustainable fishing practices in their respective village and reduce usage of illegal and damaging fishing gear.
• Supports the WWF Zambia team in the coordination and implementation of WWF Zambia’s fisheries work in the KAZA landscape.
• Works with, ACADIR field staff on the implementation of community-based fisheries management as contained in the workplan.
Responsibilities & Scope
• Geographic/programmatic scope of the Community Based Fisheries Management Program CBFMP, is centered on the province of Cuando Cubango in Kataha, Kangongo, Rungamabwe, Mengela, Jamba and Rivungo.
• Leads fieldwork and logistical support for project development, implementation and monitoring
• Assists with securing cooperation from Angolan Provincial and National Government to accomplish program goals
• Develops and implements a long-term community-based freshwater and fisheries conservation program together with relevant partners.
• Works with ACADIR to implement community-based fisheries co-management
• Assists WWF to adapt the project workplan in view of any initially unforeseen circumstances that may have an impact on the project for the lower Cuando and helps to achieve its strategic goals and objectives.
• With guidance from the WWF-Zambia Freshwater Team Lead and support of Transboundary Project Coordinator, engages with WWF US, WWF NL and globally for learning and exchange regarding freshwater, Community-based Conservation, Sustainable Fisheries, and other key strategies.
• Financial responsibilities may include working within/managing a budget to complete projects, negotiating and contracting with vendors, assisting with budget development, and meeting fundraising targets.
• Supports program compliance with internal policies under minimal supervision, makes independent decisions based on analysis, experience and judgment.
• May work in variable weather conditions, at remote locations, on difficult and hazardous terrain, and under physically demanding circumstances.
• May require frequent travel domestically and/or internationally and some evening and weekend hours
• BSc degree in Biology, Fisheries Management, Aquaculture, or related fields; or equivalent combination of education.
• Minimum of 4 years’ experience in Fisheries Resource Management or equivalent combination of education.
• Experience in community mobilization, coordinating and conducting trainings in rural Angola.
• Experience using applications such as Microsoft Word, Excel, and Web Browsers.
• Experience in working in remote rural areas.
• Fluency in Portuguese (written and spoken) and some understanding of spoken English.
Preferred Knowledge, Skills & Experience
• Multi-lingual (English and Portuguese) required and multi-cultural or cross-cultural experience appreciated.
• A Masters’ degree and 5 years’ experience in Fisheries Management or equivalent combination of education and experience.
• Knowledge of Angolan Fisheries legislation and proven experience of working with local resource users and management institutions such as Local Government Authorities
• Knowledge of methods and standards of fisheries research and information/data management systems.
Work Hours: 8
Experience in Months: 48
Level of Education: Bachelor Degree
Job application procedure
Submit a bid by emailing a cover letter, technical proposal, accompanying budget, and CV/s to firstname.lastname@example.org with ‘ Community Fisheries Management’ in the subject line. The CV/s must highlight the candidate’s technical strengths and sufficient experience and knowledge. All documents MUST be in one PDF document. An added advantage would be experience working with a limited budget.
Communication, clarifications and submissions about this consultancy should all be via email to: email@example.com. Only successful bidders will be contacted.
DEADLINE: 5th November 2022 by 17:00hrs.
Join a Focused Community on job search to uncover both advertised and non-advertised jobs that you may not be aware of. A jobs WhatsApp Group Community can ensure that you know the opportunities happening around you and a jobs Facebook Group Community provides an opportunity to discuss with employers who need to fill urgent position. Click the links to join. You can view previously sent Email Alerts here incase you missed them and Subscribe so that you never miss out.