Vacancy title: Deputy Deputy Head Teacher[ Type: FULL TIME , Industry: Education, and Training , Category: Education ]
Jobs at: Promoting Equality in African Schools
Deadline of this Job:
31 July 2022
Date Posted: Monday, July 25, 2022 , Base Salary: Not Disclosed
Job Purpose: To provide effective, dynamic and inspirational leadership to enable PEAS schools to
fulfil its agreed education outcomes.
A.Teaching and Learning
• Teaches a class and models good teaching and learning practices for staff.
• Develops continuous professional development programme for staff in collaboration with the Head of Studies.
• Implements strategies to promote quality education for all children.
• Plans annual teacher conferences in collaboration with the regional offices.
• Constantly monitors classroom teaching and assessment data to inform how best to support students, and uses this data to effectively engage learners and parents in the learning process.
B. Education Management
• Drives high-performance expectations for PEAS students and teachers to be effective and innovative.
• Promotes an atmosphere of caring and trust among PEAS staff, setting the tone for respectful interaction with students, and demonstrating a willingness to change practices in the light of new understandings.
• Works with the head teacher to establish a school structure that promotes participative decision-making supports delegation and distributive leadership and encourages teacher decision-making autonomy.
• Works towards whole-staff consensus on school priorities and communicates these to students, staff and parents to establish a strong sense of overall purpose.
• Encourages staff to reflect on what they are trying to achieve with students and parents and how they are doing it.
• Facilitates opportunities for staff to learn from each other and models continual learning in their practice.
• Assumes responsibility for all education targets and SIP reports to the RPM.
• Assesses and evaluates teaching staff using PEAS school’s performance evaluation processes.
• Conducts regular lesson observations of teaching staff with the support of the Head of Studies, and delivers a regular programme of INSET sessions to teachers.
• Leads the development and implementation of annual and termly education development strategies.
• Ensures the effective functioning of subject departments, including through the organisation of heads of department meetings at least 3 times a term.
• Oversees and supports the provision of a programme of co-curricular activities and career guidance that meets the needs of all students, including marginalised girls.
• Adheres to the PEAS Disciplinary Code of Conduct and ensures that ALL staff are informed and enacts the Child Protection Policy.
• Takes overall responsibility for the welfare and wellbeing of every student and staff member at the school, including through the effective management of Child Protection incidents in line with the PEAS Child Protection Policy.
• Manages and conducts induction programmes for new staff members, BoG and student council.
• Serves as the primary point of contact for MoGE officials and in conjunction with the head teacher and RPM.
• Develops and maintains active and productive relationships with PEAS core office and regional offices, board members (BoG), PTA, school staff and student council to support school objectives.
• Leads teachers of PEAS school towards the achievement of commonly agreed goals and performance targets.
• Ensures that PEAS schools comply with all applicable Ministry of General Education regulations.
• Works with the RPM and other PEAS staff to develop and implement systems of checks and balances to measure operational efficiency.
• Ensures all teachers are registered with the Teaching Council of Zambia.
• Works closely with the Headteacher to ensure school sustainability, including through developing effective and innovative approaches to ensure that school fee collection is maximised.
• Works closely with the Headteacher to develop and manage the school budget to achieve school objectives whilst ensuring value for money and school sustainability.
• Co-signs all school accounts together with the Headteacher.
• Accountable for all school management financials, Per Pupil Subsidy Grant reports and data as specified from time to time by the Headteacher as part of financial reporting to MoGE and Ministry of Finance
• Collates departmental resource requirements and prioritizes requisition and procuring necessary materials cost-effectively from reputable suppliers in consultation with the head teacher and HoS.
• Works with the PEAS Core office, Board of Governance, Parents Teachers Association and the Headteacher to develop strategies to initiate and meet school goals, objectives and School Mission.
• Assumes responsibility for all teaching and learning reports to the Director and other agencies, and attends all board meetings as the secretary.
• Assists the Headteacher with recommending and researching potential new members of staff.
F.Contribution to the Network
• Establishes new links with external partners, and builds upon existing relationships, to promote PEAS school’s model experience.
• Participates in the induction and orientation of new staff members, BoG and Student Council in the PEAS ethos and culture.
• Takes initiative to share learnings and good practices with new PEAS school management teams.
• Works with the director to develop and execute community outreach plans to increase student enrolment and student populations in PEAS school.
• Works closely with the director and regional programme manager to develop and implement community engagement plans and school advertising plans to promote a positive image of the school within the community.
• Develops and implements strategies to promote PEAS School’s mission to both the internal constituencies of the school and the community at large.
• Values-driven and passionate about PEAS’ mission to expand access to sustainably delivered quality education in Africa.
• Top-level understanding and proven track record of managing schools.
• Thorough understanding of how the education section in Zambia functions.
• Proven track record in improving academic performance.
• Top-level understanding of driving effective teaching and learning practices.
• Ability to develop school systems and processes.
• A team player and has excellent interpersonal skills; very culturally sensitive and able to work between two cultural contexts.
• Appropriate attitudes to the use of authority and maintaining discipline with students and staff members.
• Knowledge of leadership principles and practices gained through work experience and formal education.
• Open-minded, responsive to feedback and continually seeking to develop and improve
Professional Qualifications and Experience
• Bachelor’s Degree in Education
• Teaching experience (minimum 3 years)
• Management experience in school (minimum of 2 years)
• Qualified teacher status, registered with the Teaching Council of Zambia
• Working experience in the education sector in Zambia with exposure preferably at a secondary level
• Knowledge of working with a wide range of students
• Top-level understanding of strategies for the improvement of teaching practices and learning outcomes
• Post Graduate Training in Educational Administration, Curriculum Development, or a related field.
• Experience developing and enriching curriculum
Work Hours: 8
Experience in Months: 36
Level of Education: Bachelor Degree
Job application procedure
Please read through the candidate pack thoroughly and if you are excited by the opportunity of the role at PEAS and have met the essential criteria, please click the below to complete the application form.
Apply for Deputy Head Teacher here
Please note, that only complete applications will be reviewed, and only qualified candidates will be shortlisted and contacted. We will review applications on a case-by-case basis and shortlisted applicants may be invited in earlier than the closing date. We reserve the right to close the application process sooner than the date specified should we receive a high number of qualified candidates.
The deadline for applications is Friday 31th July 2021 at 17:00hrs CAT.
PEAS is an equal opportunity employer that does not discriminate in its recruitment practices and, to build the strongest possible workforce, actively seeks a diverse applicant pool.
PEAS has a strict Child Protection Policy. All staff are expected to abide by this.
Join a Focused Community on job search to uncover both advertised and non-advertised jobs that you may not be aware of. A jobs WhatsApp Group Community can ensure that you know the opportunities happening around you and a jobs Facebook Group Community provides an opportunity to discuss with employers who need to fill urgent position. Click the links to join. You can view previously sent Email Alerts here incase you missed them and Subscribe so that you never miss out.