Vacancy title: Director and Chief Executive Officer[ Type: FULL TIME , Industry: Transportation, Distribution, and Logistics , Category: Admin & Office ]
Jobs at:Road Transport and Safety Agency
Deadline of this Job:
31 October 2022
Date Posted: Wednesday, October 19, 2022 , Base Salary: Not Disclosed
The Road Transport and Safety Agency (RTSA) was established by the Road Traffic Act No 11 of 2002 as a body corporate with perpetual succession and a common seal. The Agency is mandated by the Road Traffic Act No. 11 of 2002 as read with Act No. 8 of 2022 to implement and coordinate road safety programmes that are aimed at reducing the likelihood and impact of road crashes. The Agency is also mandated to undertake activities relating to road transport and traffic management. Further, the RTSA has become a substantial contributor to Government revenue to the Road Fund being the Highest Non-tax Revenue Collector in the Country.
The Road Transport and Safety Agency therefore seeks the services of a committed, vibrant, innovative, strategically focused and business oriented Zambian to fill the position of Director and Chief Executive Officer.
The Director and Chief Executive Officer reports to the RTSA Board of Directors. The successful candidate will be responsible for securing the achievement of RTSA’s strategic goals and guide the efficient and effective operations of the Agency
OVERALL PURPOSE OF THE JOB
To provide strategic leadership and effective day to day administration of Road Transport and Safety Agency (RTSA) in line with the provisions of the Road Traffic Act. 2002 under the general policy guidelines of the board of directors to ensure that the Agency’s objectives are effectively and efficiently achieved.
The roles and responsibilities/accountabilities of the Director and Chief Executive Officer shall include but not limited to:
1. Ensures that RTSA is managed strategically in accordance with cooperate governance principles in order to meet all strategic objectives on time and ethically.
2. Develops and implements policies and procedures to minimize overall risk for the Agency and to ensure adherence to provisions of the Road Traffic Act No. 11 of 2002 as read with Act No. 8 of 2022
3. Ensures that the Agency is adequately manned by fully trained, experienced and well motivated stall for efficient performance of the Agency.
4. Ensures that sufficient budgetary controls and management information systems are in place to minimize overall risk and facilitate provision of management information
5. Monitors the implementation of the Agencies strategic plan and submits performance reports to ensure that objectives are met on time.
6. Spearheads the road safety initiative to meet national needs and as provided for under the Road Traffic Act, 2002
7. Attends meetings of the agencies board of directors and its sub Committees to take minutes and to advise on legal and operational matters of the Agency.
8. Attends meetings of the board of directors of the National Road fund Agency and the Road Development Agency as ex-official member to advice on issues relating to road traffic and safety as a contribution towards an efficient road transport industry.
9. Provides focal point between the Agency and key stakeholders with regard to road traffic and safety to ensure that road users interests are protected.
10. Provides effective day to day administration of the Agency to ensure efficiency of the Agency,
11. Develops and maintains a positive organisational culture to enhance achievements of the Agency’s cooperate objectives
12. Establishes and maintains a positive image of the Agency to promote the Agency’s acceptability among the road sector stakeholders.
13.Submits regular reports on the activities of the Agency to the board of directors to ensure efficient flow of information and the required transparency.
14. Develops sufficient mechanisms to ensure that required road traffic and safety conditions are implemented.
15.Collaborates with similar Agencies in the region and internationally to benchmark the RTSA to them and to get assistance from them.
16. Provides efficient secretarial services to the Board of Directors and its sub committees to ensure smooth conduct of meeting and effective communication of board decisions to relevant stakeholders.
Very high level decision making
Pressure of Work
Very high as he/she will be required to meet stipulated deadlines and to coordinate several programmes in liaison with the Board of Directors and Government.
Checks and Balances
High as he/she will be reporting to the Board of Directors.
The role entails integration of managerial, administrative and technical abilities to enable efficient direction and co-ordination of all functions and activities
CONSEQUENCE OF ERROR
High as an error of judgement can have a high impact on the organization and the Zambian Government as a whole. Ensuring compliance to Transport and Safety provisions under the responsibility of RTSA is very cardinal. Poor compliance could result in the inability to meet Government’s objectives resulting in the loss of Government Revenue and public confidence.
1. Organisational Skills
2. Coordination skills
3. Leadership skills
4. Computer skills
5. Numerical skills (Financial statements, Annual budget etc)
6. Excellent communication skills
7. Supervisory skills
8. Strategic Planning skills
9. Project Management skills
10. Conflict Resolution skills
11. Team building
12. Negotiating skills
Key Result Areas
1. Strategic management of the Agency
2. Effective day to day administration of Agency
3. Provision of effective Board secretarial services.
4. Effective utilization and management of human resources
5. Establishment and maintenance of sound working relationships with a wide range of stakeholders in the road traffic and safety sub-sector.
6. Effective monitoring and evaluation of Agency performance.
7. Development and implementation of road traffic and safety policies and procedures.
Qualifications and Experience
1. The candidate should have at least ten (10) years industrial experience, five (5) of which should be at Senior Management level;
2. A Full Grade twelve certificate;
3. Bachelor’s Degree in engineering or related field (A Master’s degree in Engineering or related field will be an added advantage); and
4. Membership of a recognized professional Body.
1. The candidate must have vast knowledge and experience in a Transport related industry. They must be knowledgeable about sector trends, supply chain processes, best practices and compliance requirements;
2. The candidate should be a relentless problem-solver seeking innovative ways to improve Road safety strategies and processes;
3. The candidate should have demonstrated knowledge and experience in Policy formulation, implementation, management and dissemination;
4. The candidate should have strong and demonstrated knowledge in excellent analytical, interpersonal and report writing skills;
5. High level communication skills. The candidate should have excellent written and oral communication, and executive communication skills; and
6. Leadership Skills – Sets the direction for the entire Agency, providing guidance and mentorship to employees, and taking responsibility for overall performance.
Terms of Appointment
1. Type of contract: Long Term Contract.
2. Location of performance of the Contract: The duty Station will be in Lusaka.
3. Expected time for commencement of services: Immediately.
5. Eligibility for Application: Only Zambian Nationals.
Work Hours: 8
Experience in Months: 96
Level of Education: Bachelor Degree
Job application procedure
The Road Transport and Safety Agency (RTSA) is an equal opportunity employer.
Submission of Applications and Final date for receipt of applications: All Applications with certified copies of academic qualifications and Curriculum Vitae applications must be submitted to:
The Board Chair
Road Transport and Safety Agency
Road Safety House
Dedan Kimathi Road
P.O Box 32167
Submission of Applications
1. All applicants should firstly sign in a book as proof of delivery. The Book will be placed in the Office of the Secretary to the RTSA Director and Chief Executive Officer on the fifth (5) floor.
2. All applications will be given serial numbers.
3. Lastly, all applicants must deposit their applications at the RTSA Head Office, 1st’ floor into the scaled and locked box labelled “Recruitment Applications”
The final date for receipt of applications is Monday, 31 October 2022.
Join a Focused Community on job search to uncover both advertised and non-advertised jobs that you may not be aware of. A jobs WhatsApp Group Community can ensure that you know the opportunities happening around you and a jobs Facebook Group Community provides an opportunity to discuss with employers who need to fill urgent position. Click the links to join. You can view previously sent Email Alerts here incase you missed them and Subscribe so that you never miss out.