Director of Finance (AfCDC)
Jobs at:African Union
Deadline of this Job:
Friday, October 06 2023
Date Posted: Friday, September 08 2023, Base Salary: Not Disclosed
Purpose of Job
• The Director of Finance will provide strategic direction and leadership in managing the operations of the Finance Directorate in order to achieve the Africa CDC strategic objectives and goals. S/he will work with Africa CDC executive team to build and deliver financial policies and strategies that improve the business’ financial status. S/he will oversee all the financial operations within each Division/Unit to ensure they’re spending within the budget and following the financial policies laid out by the AUC. The Director of Finance will also analyze the financial performance of Africa CDC and build reports for the executive team to review and provide feedback.
S/he will also research and review Africa CDC’s financial statistics to make forecasts and projections that help to build more comprehensive budgets. The Director of Finance will develop strategies to assess, manage and minimize any potential financial risks.
The main duties will include, but not limited to establishing targets, developing budgets, and performing financial analysis. The ultimate goal is to guide Africa CDC towards success.
• Develops and executes the overall strategy for the directorate and ensures alignment with overall organizational strategy;
• Manages and supervises employees within the directorate, ensures the timely delivery of the directorate’s goals and effective staff performance evaluation;
• Drives the implementation and monitoring of policies, strategies and programs to contribute to the effective implementation of relevant AU Policy Organs Decisions;
• Ensures the delivery of the directorate’s annual targets in line with the organization’s overall goals and maintains robust departmental monitoring and evaluation systems;
• Provides technical leadership and ensures efficient functioning of all Divisions within the directorate;
• Manages the work of the Directorate and supervises direct reports to ensure their effective performance in line with the organization’s performance management policy and system;
• Leads the directorate and ensures effective management of personnel, budget, performance, program quality, employee relations matters and training in conformity with relevant rules, policies and procedures;
• Builds and maintains good working relations and collaboration with other directorates/departments;
• Develops and maintains regular working relations with senior stakeholders in Member State and partner institutions;
• Coordinates meetings between the organization and relevant partners;
• Ensures the preparation of periodic financial and budget execution reports and other reports;
• Ensures the effective management of funds contributed to the organization;
• Implements and maintains thematic partnerships in support of the mandate of the Directorate;
• Develops and oversees policy development and guidelines in line with the organization’s legal framework;
• Designs policies consistent with the Africa CDC’s strategic goals and mandate in order to address the pertinent issues in the relevant area;
• Prepares and oversees integrated programs, projects and overall activities of the organization.
• Maintains a positive work environment that facilitates collaboration and information sharing and is conducive to attracting, retaining, and motivating diverse talent.
• Develops and maintains standard operating procedures (SOP’s) for the Directorate
• Manages risks, develops mitigation measures and ensures business continuity of the directorate.
• Oversee the financial strategic planning of the institution by evaluating its performance and potential risks. Develops and implements effective, responsive and efficient financial and budgetary strategies, policies and management systems, as per the international accounting standards
• Perform regular financial analysis.
• Develop budgets that meet the requirements of institution departments.
• Establish targets and manage all accounting and finance employees including management accountants and internal auditors.
• Supervise all audit and internal control processes.
• Prepare detailed reports on the institution’s financial performance.
• Guarantee compliance with financial laws and guidelines.
• Recognize patterns in institution spending, revenue, and recommend solutions to any problem areas.
• Coordinate with external financial entities on behalf of the institution.
• Contributes to the planning and, development of Financial Accounting policies and policy to execute budgetary programs, Rules, Regulations and Procedures and ensures their implementation within Africa CDC;
• Collects and manages statutory and other funds owed to Africa CDC;
• Ensures inter-departmental coordination in programming and the budgetary process;
• Assesses the efficiency and effectiveness of programs in realizing organizational goals and objectives;
• Promotes sound financial management by ensuring adherence and compliance with International Public Sector accounting standards (IPSAS), the AU Financial Rules and Regulations, Policies, Systems and Procedures;
• Seeks continuous improvement and cost effectiveness in the delivery of services;
• Responsible and accountable for managing the human resources component of the Directorate of Finance;
• Provides accurate, reliable and timely accounts of Africa CDC and provision of value adding professional and strategic advice to Member States and internal customers;
• Prepares and issues instructions relating to budget preparation;
• Oversees the preparation of the programme budget of Africa CDC and follows up its implementation;
• Organizes coordination meetings on programming and budgeting;
• Proposes training programmes relating to programme designing, programme coordination, and budget preparation;
• Manages the Programme Budget of the institution;
• Initiates, proposes, manages and implements financial policies;
• Promotes awareness of best practices in financial management and internal financial control systems;
• Controls budget execution and process payments;
• Invests excess liquidity as authorized;
• Facilitates the conduct of external audit;
• Ensures effective implementation of Financial Rules and Regulations;
• Ensures safe custody of all liquid Assets of Africa CDC;
• Ensures prompt recovery of all receivables owed to the Africa CDC;
• Produces periodic financial and budget execution reports and annual financial statements and other specific mission reports, in accordance with Financial Rules and Regulations;
• Advises the Director General on policy and strategy matters and ensures alignment of Africa CDC’s application of financial policy, programming guidelines, accounting system, budgeting guidelines and assets safeguard systems with that of the African Union in general;
• Provides technical guidance and ensures efficient functioning of supervised Divisions;
• Builds and maintains good working relations with other Departments/Directorates/Office within Africa CDC and beyond at African Union level;
• Develops and maintains regular working relations with appropriate agencies of Member States and partners, and ensures timely collection of contributions from Member States
• Performs any other relevant duties as may be assigned by the supervisor.
Academic Requirements and Relevant Experience
• Master’s degree in Accounting, Finance, Business Management with at least fifteen (15) years of experience out of which eight (8) years should be at managerial level, and five (5) in direct supervisory role.
• Additional education and experience in public health administration, or related programme management and operations area will be an added advantage.
• Membership or an internationally recognized professional accounting body (CA, CPA, ACCA, CIMA, Expert Comptable) is mandatory.
• Relevant specialist professional qualifications are an added advantage.
• Experience in leading financial operations, planning and analysis for various organizations.
• Proven experience in managing budgets, forecasts, audits, compliance and risk management activities.
• Experience in implementing strategic initiatives to improve financial performance, optimize resources and enhance stakeholder value.
• In-depth knowledge of accounting software, corporate principals, and financial analysis.
• Excellent communication, interpersonal and outstanding leadership abilities
• An analytical mind with good organizational skills.
• Knowledge of International Public Sector Accounting Standards (IPSAS);
• Ability to develop multi annual plans and budgets based on Result Based Management;
• Communication and reporting skills with internal and external stakeholders;
• Computer literacy – knowledge of major accounting systems especially SAP – ERP shall be an advantage
• Ability to organize and motivate others and to work in a multi-cultural environment;
• Strong skills in financial reporting, data analysis, accounting and business intelligence tools.
• Confident in his/her ability to bring expertise and leadership to the organization and contribute to its growth and success.
• Excellent drafting and reporting skills; ability to mentor teams on same;
• Planning and organizational skills;
• Proficiency in one of the AU working languages (Arabic, English, French, Portuguese, Kiswahili and Spanish) and fluency in another AU language is an added advantage.
• Strategic Perspective
• Developing Others
• Change Management
• Managing Risk
Foster Accountability Culture
.Communicating with impact
Job Knowledge and information sharing:
.Drive for Result
Tenure Of Appointment:
• The appointment will be made on a regular term contract for a period of three (3) years, of which the first twelve months shall be considered as a probationary period. Thereafter, the contract will be for a period of two years renewable, subject to satisfactory performance and deliverables.
• The AU Commission is an equal opportunity employer and qualified women are strongly encouraged to apply.
• Proficiency in one of the AU working languages (Arabic, English, French, Kiswahili, Portuguese, and Spanish) and fluency in another AU language is an added advantage
• Indicative basic salary of US$ 78,138.00 (D1 Step1) per annum plus other related entitlements e.g. Post adjustment (46% of basic salary), Housing allowance US$ 26,208.00 (per annum), and education allowance (100% of tuition and other education-related expenses for every eligible dependent up to a maximum of US$ 10,000.00 per child per annum), for internationally recruited staff and a maximum of $3,300 per child per annum for locally recruited staff.
Work Hours: 8
Experience in Months: 96
Level of Education: Associate Degree
Job application procedure
Applications must be submitted no later than October 5, 2023 11h59 p.m. EAT.
-Only candidates who meet all job requirements and are selected for interviews will be contacted.
-Consideration will be given only to those candidates who have submitted a fully completed online application with a curriculum vitae (CV), an African passport, and the required academic qualifications, such as Diplomas, Bachelor’s degrees, Master’s degrees and any relevant certificate in line with the area of expertise.
-The African Union is an equal opportunity employer, and female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
-Candidates from less represented countries within the African Union are strongly encouraged to apply for positions that fit their profiles. These countries include Algeria, Angola, Cape Verde, Central African Republic, Comoros, Egypt, Equatorial Guinea, Eritrea, Eswatini, Guinea, Guinea-Bissau, Liberia, Libya, Madagascar, Mali, Morocco, Namibia, Niger, Sahrawi D.R., Sao Tome and Principe., Seychelles, Somalia and Tunisia.
Requisition ID: 1969
• Interested and qualified? Click here to apply
Join a Focused Community on job search to uncover both advertised and non-advertised jobs that you may not be aware of. A jobs WhatsApp Group Community can ensure that you know the opportunities happening around you and a jobs Facebook Group Community provides an opportunity to discuss with employers who need to fill urgent position. Click the links to join. You can view previously sent Email Alerts here incase you missed them and Subscribe so that you never miss out.