Director of Finance and Administration
Jobs at:Southern African Science Centre for Climate Change and Adaptive Land Management (SASSCAL)
Deadline of this Job:
16 March 2022
Date Posted: Friday, March 04, 2022 , Base Salary: Not Disclosed
Director of Finance and Administration
The Southern African Science Service Centre for Climate Change and Adaptive Land Management (SASSCAL) has been established by five Southern African countries: Angola, Botswana, Namibia, South Africa and Zambia with support from the Federal Republic of Germany. The overall objective of SASSCALIS to improve the livelihoods of people and to enhance adaptive land use and sustainable economic development in Southern Africa under global change conditions with particular focus on five thematic areas of Agriculture, Biodiversity, Climate, Forestry and Water. The SASSCAL initiative focuses on research, capacity development and the provision of appropriate products and services aimed at mitigating and/or dealing with some of the likely impacts of Climate Change
SASSCAL invites applications for the position of DIRECTOR OF FINANCE AND ADMINISTRATION in its Regional Secretariat, located in Windhoek, Namibia.
Reporting to the Executive Director, the Director of Administration and Finance will head the Administration and Finance Unit. The Director of Administration and Finance will lead and oversee the Accounting, Financial Planning and Management, Information Technology. Procurement, and administrative support services and guide the staff working in those areas. S/he should be able to work under pressure and multi-task effectively,
• Analyze and present financial reports in an accurate and timely manner, clearly communicate monthly and annual financial statements; collate financial reporting materials for all donor segments, and oversee all financial, project/program and grants accounting.
• Coordinate and lead the annual audit process, liaise with external auditors and the finance committee of the board of directors; assess any changes necessary,
• Oversee and lead annual budgeting and planning process in conjunction with the Executive Director and Programme Coordinators; administer and review all financial plans and budgets, monitor progress and changes; and keep the SASSCAL Management Committee abreast of the organization’s financial status.
• Manage organizational cash flow and forecasting,
• Implement a robust contracts management and financial management/reporting system; ensure that the contract billing and collection schedule is adhered to, and that financial data and cash flow are steady and support operational requirements
• Update and implement all necessary business policies and accounting practices; improve the finance department’s overall policy and procedure manual.
• Effectively communicate and present the critical financial matters to the governing Board.
Human Resources, Information Technology and Administration
• Further develop SASSCAL human resources and administration, enhancing professional
development, compensation and benefits, performance evaluation, training, and recruiting.
• Ensure that recruiting processes are consistent and streamlined.
• Establish and manage a comprehensive training program to educate employees regarding staff tools, policies and procedures
• Work closely and transparently with all external partners including third party vendors and consultants
• Oversee administrative functions as well as facilities to ensure efficient and consistent operations as the organization scales.
Minimum Experience Required;
Minimum of Bachelor of Accounting degree, backed by Honors in Bachelor of Public Accounting and any other Honsor master’s degree in a related field will be desired. The Incumbent must be registered as a Chartered Accountant in SADC At least 5-10 years of overall professional experience; ideally six-plus years of broad financial and operations management experience.
Minimum Experience Required
Five to Ten years of professional experience in financial and managerial accounting, establishing financial statements (balance sheet, income statement) budgeting, and procurement at Senior Management level.
Strong financial and computer skills: word processing, Excel spreadsheets, QuickBooks, VIP Payroll system, knowledge of database operations would be an added extra. Excellent written and oral communication skills in English language (Portuguese would be an added advantage)
• The ideal candidate has experience of final responsibility for the quality and content of all financial data, reporting and audit coordination for either a division or significant program area, and has preferably over seen a human resources function previously
• Ability to translate financial concepts to – and to effectively collaborate with programmatic and fundraising colleagues who do not necessarily have finance backgrounds
• A track record in grants management
• Technology know-how with experience selecting and overseeing software installations and managing relationships with software vendors; knowledge of accounting and reporting software
• Commitment to training programs that maximize individual and organization goals across the organization including best practices in human resources activities
• A successful track record in setting priorities; keen analytic, organization and problem-solving skills which support and enable sound decision making
• Excellent communication and relationship building skills with an ability to prioritize, negotiate, and work with a variety of internal and external stakeholders
• A multi-tasker with the ability to wear many hats in a fast-paced environment
• Personal qualities of integrity, credibility, and dedication to the mission of SASSCAL
• Ability to work effectively under pressure.
• Ability to maintain pleasant working relationships with individuals of different national and cultural backgrounds. Willingness to travel extensively in the region.
• Knowledge and experience with international accounting standards and international procurement rules is an added advantage.
• Experience in similar position with international organizations is essential
Work Hours: 8
Experience in Months: 60 12:00:00 AM Bachelor Degree
Job application procedure
• The deadline for applications is 16th of March 2022
• Applicants should send a cover letter and a CV with details of relevant experience and three traceable referees
• Applications should be sent to:
The Executive Director, Dr. Jane Olwoch
SASSCAL Regional Secretariat
28 Robert Mugabe Avenue (Corner of Robert Mugabe and Newton Street)
P. O. Box 87292 Windhoek
Please note that only short listed applicants will be notified by the 30th of April 2022
For further information, please visit www.sasscal.org
Promoting Science for Sustainable Development
Join a Focused Community on job search to uncover both advertised and non-advertised jobs that you may not be aware of. A jobs WhatsApp Group Community can ensure that you know the opportunities happening around you and a jobs Facebook Group Community provides an opportunity to discuss with employers who need to fill urgent position. Click the links to join. You can view previously sent Email Alerts here incase you missed them and Subscribe so that you never miss out.