External Communication Officer
Deadline of this Job:
01 October 2022
Date Posted: Tuesday, September 13, 2022 , Base Salary: Not Disclosed
The UN Volunteer assignment will focus on the production of external communication and media products, through writing, editing and graphic design (supervision) and support in external communication work. Linked to the country context, the office is currently managing the production of a large number of external products and needs support on this area. At the same time, major programmes requiring visibility products have also created a heavy workload for the office as UNICEF seeks to meet its donor requirements.
Within the delegated authority and under the direct supervision of the Chief of Communication or his/her designated mandated representative(s), the External Communication Officer will undertake the following tasks:
• Help manage the production of public facing external products through writing, editing and layout support, sometimes through management of external providers of these services;
• Assist in the design and implementation of communication and visibility plans including design materials for print, social media and other needs;
• Support the production of photo, video and human interest stories (HIS) content for major donor visibility;
• Support the office’s advocacy efforts on issues such as the COVID-19 pandemic, the Transforming Education Summit, Ending Child Marriage and more;
• Assist in editing/re-writing human interest stories, blogs, articles, speeches, concept notes, reports, proposals, etc.
• Help in the development and implementation of campaigns.
• Travel to programme implementation areas to collect media and communication content, create visibility and support media coverage of UNICEF Zambia’s programmes;
• Provide support to improved internal communication in the office.
• Support donor communication activities, events and content production.
3 years of experience in professional work at the national and/or international level. Experience working in the UN or other international development organisation is an added advantage;
• Technical skills and experience in journalism, web management, writing, graphic design, and public relations;
• Excellent oral and written skills; excellent drafting, formulation, reporting skills;
• Accuracy and professionalism in document production and editing;
• Excellent interpersonal skills; culturally and socially sensitive; ability to work inclusively and collaboratively with a range of partners, including grassroots community members, religious and youth organizations, and authorities at different levels; familiarity with tools and approaches of communications for development;
• Ability to work and adapt professionally and effectively in a challenging environment; ability to work effectively in a multicultural team of international and national personnel;
• Solid overall computer literacy, including proficiency in various MS Office applications (Excel, Word, etc.), design software, video editing and email/internet; familiarity with database management; and office technology equipment;
• Self-motivated, ability to work with minimum supervision; ability to work with tight deadlines; Sound security awareness;
• Have affinity with or interest in child rights, volunteerism as a mechanism for durable development, and the UN System.
Area(s) of expertise
Communication, Arts and design, Development programmes
English, Level: Fluent, Desirable
Required education level
Bachelor degree or equivalent in University degree (BA) in Journalism, Communication, English, Public Relations. Design, content development for external audience or related area are required for the post. A first-level university degree or equivalent in combination with relevant training and/or professional experience may be accepted in lieu of an advanced university degree.
Competencies and values
• Adaptability and Flexibility
• Client Orientation
• Commitment and Motivation
• Empowering Others
• Ethics and Values
• Knowledge Sharing
• Respect for Diversity
• Technological Awareness
• Working in Teams
Work Hours: 8
Experience in Months: 36
Level of Education: Bachelor Degree
Join a Focused Community on job search to uncover both advertised and non-advertised jobs that you may not be aware of. A jobs WhatsApp Group Community can ensure that you know the opportunities happening around you and a jobs Facebook Group Community provides an opportunity to discuss with employers who need to fill urgent position. Click the links to join. You can view previously sent Email Alerts here incase you missed them and Subscribe so that you never miss out.