Vacancy title: Finance and Operations Director (Re-advertised)[ Type: FULL TIME , Industry: Health Care , Category: Accounting & Finance ]
Jobs at: Jhpiego
Deadline of this Job:
02 August 2022
Date Posted: Sunday, July 24, 2022 , Base Salary: Not Disclosed
Jhpiego, an affiliate of Johns Hopkins University, builds global and local partnerships to enhance the quality of healthcare Jhpiego, an affiliate of Johns Hopkins University, builds global and local partnerships to enhance the quality of healthcare services for women and families around the world. Jhpiego is a global leader in the creation of innovative and effective approaches to developing human resources for health.
The Director Finance and Administration is responsible for providing financial and administrative management for Jhpiego’s office in Zambia. S/he is responsible for implementing and maintaining an on-site financial accounting and bookkeeping system required to assure the integrity and effective performance of Jhpiego/Zambia’s financial operations. Additionally, Director Finance and Administration is the primary financial and administrative liaison with the Jhpiego Baltimore office and other partners in the Zambia country program. S/he supervises the activities of the administrative and financial staff working for Jhpiego’s country office in Zambia to maintain daily operations in an efficient and effective manner. The Director Finance and Administration works closely with Jhpiego’s head office personnel to collaborate and coordinate implementation of uniform administrative and financial procedures.
• Oversees and manages the financial, grants and administrative operations of the Jhpiego program in Zambia
• Help develop and implement country-specific financial management strategies and administrative procedures that are consistent with global Jhpiego policies and operating systems.
• Advise Country Director and Project Directors on financial matters.
• Responsible for instituting and maintaining adequate internal controls, while simultaneously providing adequate financial resources and support to meet program needs.
• Ensures adherence to all financial, personnel and administrative policies and procedures,
Including conformity to the Zambian laws
• Review and advice on all legal undertaking of the institution such as leases, sub agreements and contracts.
• Directs the implementing and maintaining financial accounting and administrative operating systems for Zambia Country Offices, compatible with standard accounting practice, JHU/Jhpiego and USG Guidelines.
• Assists program staff to develop work plans and annual budgets for program activities and the local office costs for review by Jhpiego Zambia’s Country Director and Jhpiego Baltimore finance staff. This includes budgeting of large procurements
• Payroll Administration: maintains a record of salaries & salary changes; registration of Jhpiego and compliance with various statutory bodies – withholding of monthly salary deduction and remittances to these bodies, annual statutory reconciliation submissions. Also ensure that all related records like timesheets, statutory payments etc. is maintained.
• Reviews and approve, with the Country Director, travel expense reports and project advance expense reconciliation.
• Directs the overall accountability for this office – reconciliation of accounting statements including monthly bank statement reconciliations; preparation and submission of timelymonthly financial reports to the Baltimore Office.
• Monitors burn rates and expenses for all programs in collaboration with Jhpiego Baltimore staff. Responsible for verifying all in -country expenditures on monthly basis..
• With the assistance of the Finance Manager, develops financial management systems, procedures and internal controls; ensure strict adherence to these and flag off areas of control that need adjustment and inform management. To ensure compliance with generally accepted accounting practices.
• Represent Jhpiego at partner or stakeholder meetings
• Supervises accounts payable systems & operating procedures in the country.
• In collaboration withGrants staff, helps administers Jhpiego sub-agreements, including the drafting of award documents, monitoring of award payments and oversight of compliance with award terms and conditions.
• Provide leadership in the preparation of the finance units annual work plans.
• Manage the processes with external and internal audits – Financial or otherwise.
• Prepare financial reports to donors such as USAID, CDC and other donors as required.
• Serves as a key resource to Jhpiego Baltimore office with regards to in country implementation of financial /procedures
• Manages bank accounts, mobile money payments and processes, including timey escalation of any delays and issues to Jhpiego management and the bank.
• Overall responsible for smooth functioning of the Zambia office, including adequate budgeting and charging of all Zambia operational costs.
• Ensure all procurement, finance and program staff are aware of donor and Jhpiego purchasing policies and procedures and provide training as needed. Ensure timely and cost-effective procurement processes.
• Constitute the procurement committee with the approval of the Country Director. Provide guidance to the procurement committee with regards to terms of reference.
• Draft and/or review key office policies like travel policies, safety and per diem policies etc. to ensure risk is mitigated.
• Ensure compliance to Jhpiego’s Asset and inventory management policies and systems.
• Work with the IT Technicians to ensure effective IT systems are implemented. Regularly review emerging IT needs of the office.
• Provide leadership in the preparation of the administration units annual work plans.
• Assume other duties as assigned
• A Master’s degree in business Administration, Accountancy training qualification (Full ACCA, CIMA)
• 10 years’ experience in a responsible office; experience in accounting office and knowledge of US Government financial regulations
• Project and contract management within the international development arena, with at least five years at a senior level
• Financial Management software experience (QuickBooks would be an added advantage)
• Familiarity with local tax laws including, preparing corporate tax returns and administration of payroll tax systems
Familiarity with U.S. Government and other donor cost principles and regulations (e.g. 2 CFR 200, 22 CFR 228, FAR requirements).
Knowledge: (functional or technical; i.e. federal legislation, finance, program planning, proposal writing, human resources practices, etc.)
• An understanding in maintenance of ledger entries, book keeping, banking procedures, imprest operations, cash book and account entries and reconciliation to balance sheet stage.
• Knowledge of development, establishment, and implementation of financial, administrative, and logistic support systems to international development projects.
• Budgeting and cost management experience
• Conversant with good procurement practices
Abilities/Skills (action, i.e., negotiate, manage, exercise independent judgment, act as technical advisor network, train etc):
• Experience managing several major activities simultaneously.
• General management skills
• Proven financial management skills, including program budgeting and international negotiating skills.
• Extensive contract and grant/cooperative agreement administration experience.
• Experience working in a team and managing multicultural staff
Work Hours: 8
Experience in Months: 120
Level of Education: Associate Degree
Job application procedure
Please send your application letter and curriculum vitae only in a single document to the Human Resources Director: Zambiajobs@jhpiego.org
Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted
The closing date is Tuesday August 2, 2022
Join a Focused Community on job search to uncover both advertised and non-advertised jobs that you may not be aware of. A jobs WhatsApp Group Community can ensure that you know the opportunities happening around you and a jobs Facebook Group Community provides an opportunity to discuss with employers who need to fill urgent position. Click the links to join. You can view previously sent Email Alerts here incase you missed them and Subscribe so that you never miss out.