Financial Management Specialist
Jobs at:Zambia National Public Health Institute
Deadline of this Job:
15 June 2022
Date Posted: Saturday, June 04, 2022 , Base Salary: Not Disclosed
The Zambia National Public Health Institute (ZNPHI) was established with a legal mandate to prevent disease transmission, implement surveillance, and prepare to effectively respond to health threats and outbreaks. The World Bank, in partnership with the Global Financing Facility
(GFF), has provided US$49 million to the Government of Zambia for the COVID-19 Emergency
Response and Health Systems Preparedness Project. The project will be implemented through the
Project Implementation Unit (PIU) housed in the ZNPHI.
The Project Development Objective (PDO) is to prevent, detect and respond to the threat posed by COVID-19 in Zambia and strengthen national public health systems for preparedness.
The Project has three strategic components: (i) Emergency Public Health Response to COVID-19;
(ii) Resilient Health Service Delivery; and, (iii) Project Management, Operational Research, and
Governance and Accountability. Each component has complementary actions defined under sub-components for each implementing entity.
The ZNPHI now wishes to engage the services of a suitably qualified candidate to fill the vacant post of Communication Specialist and Financial Management Specialist under the COVID-19
Emergency Response and Health Systems Preparedness Project (ZCERHSP).
Position: Financial Management Specialist
• Duty Station: ZNPHI, Lusaka
• Reports to: ZCERHSP Project Manager
Objectives of the Assignment
The Financial Management Specialist (FMS) shall be part of the Project Implementation Unit (PIU) at the ZNPHI. He/She shall support the implementation of all finance-related activities of the Project. These range from inputs to the AWPB preparation process and budget control, funds commitment, disbursements and cash flow management in an effective and efficient manner, financial reporting to ensure smooth audits and facilitation for supervision missions on all financial management and administration aspects. The Financial Management Specialist shall also assist in ensuring that Project activities are implemented in accordance with the
World Bank (WB) and Government of Zambia (GRZ) Financial Management Policies and Guidelines, Project Appraisal Documents and Agreements, and Financial Management
Operational Manual. S/He shall ensure the timely disbursement of funds to the Project implementing entities by supporting the development and maintenance of an effective disbursement, monitoring, utilization and reporting environment that facilitates and contributes to the achievement of the Project's goals and objectives. The FMS is expected to work in liaison with the Governance Specialist in implementing the Project’s Governance and
Accountability Action Plan.
Duties and Responsibilities
• Develop and implement appropriate financial and accounting systems for the Project to meet the requirements of the Government of Zambia (GRZ) and the World Bank at central and decentralised level.
• Establish the financial and administrative policies, systems, formats and procedures, including those for service contracting, budgeting and accounts and audit.
• Finalize, within three months after start of duty, a manual on financial management and administration by the PIU, implementing partners and beneficiaries, which sets the minimum standards of compliance for the financial management and administration under the Project financing;
• Coordinate financial planning and management of the Project and establish expenditure tracking systems to ensure value for money in the system.
• Install appropriate accounting software and reporting systems to ensure that the PIU and especially the Project Manager are regularly informed of on-going financial activities and transactions.
• Ensure the ZERHSP structure in terms of its components, sub-components, categories, activities, and approval limits are accurately profiled in the NAVISION and GRZ Integrated Financial Management Information System.
• Undertake financial management capacity assessment of partner implementing agencies, NGOs/CBOs and the process documented during the selection process with any identified gaps used for capacity building purpose.
• Communicate to all implementing partner institutions, service providers and community- based recipients their financial and administrative responsibilities, the funds available and how to access them, and the requirements of reporting and record keeping in accordance with prevailing government practices which are acceptable to the World Bank.
• Undertake spot checks and financial management reviews of implementing partners at decentralised level.
• Timely prepare and consolidate all financial reports from each level of the Project and ensure reports are produced in accordance with GRZ and World Bank regulation.
• Prepare informative management accounts in the form of monthly, quarterly, semi-annual and annual reports regarding aspects of Project financial monitoring bringing our variances as per approved AWPB and advising implementers as to the limits of expenditure;
• Ensure that all Programme funds are used in accordance with the conditions of the loan agreements, with due attention to economy and efficiency, and only for the purposes for which the funds were provided;
• Ensure that all necessary supporting documents, records and accounts are kept in respect of all Project activities, with clear linkages between the books of account and the financial statements presented to the financiers;
• Ensure that the designated account is maintained in accordance with the provisions of the financing agreement and in accordance with the financier’s rules and procedures;
• Ensure that the financial statements are prepared in accordance with International Public Sector Accounting Standards (IPSAS) as adopted in Zambia;
• Maintain all accounting and administrative records in a form appropriate for regular internal auditing.
• Liaise with external auditors to audit the Programme accounts to meet the required submission dates by the World Bank;
• Oversee tax matters of the Project, ensuring that tax exemptions for the procurement of goods for the Project are secured at the appropriate time;
• Process documentation and follow up on disbursements from the government and World
• Bank to ensure that releases are not delayed and ensure that funds, and other supplies for
• Project implementation are disbursed or released in a timely manner;
• Prepare and submit regular withdrawal applications to the World Bank and follow up to ensure that the Project does not run short of liquidity;
• Follow up on all Project funds released to implementing partners for timely retirement and proper utilization;
• Ensure that statements of expenditure (SOEs) are carefully compared for eligibility with relevant financial agreements and the disbursement handbook, and with budget control discipline;
• Ensure that fixed assets are well accounted for and verification of the condition of assets and their location is undertaken annually.
• Contract Duration:
• This is a full time position for a period of two-years.
Qualifications and Experience
The Financial Management Specialist shall have:
• Form V or Grade 12 School Certificate
• Bachelor of Accountancy degree, ACCA, CIMA, ZICA or any equivalent professional accounting qualification
• Master of Accountancy, Business Administration or equivalent will be an added advantage
• Member of Zambia Institute of Chartered Accountants (ZICA)
• At least ten years of relevant work experience in financial management and accounting, including at least five as a financial manager or accountant in government/donor projects or large institutions;
• Experience and knowledge of the Public Finance Act and related Financial Regulations of GRZ
• Working knowledge of IPSAS
• Experience working on a donor-funded project is desired
• Required Skills and Competences
• Good report writing skills;
• Ability to work with certain degree of integrity, accountability and transparency
• Strong attention to detail and thoroughness in work product.
• Strong managerial skills and demonstrated capacity to manage people and interact with a wide range of government implementing partners, NGOs and private sector partners at different levels of Project implementation;
• Knowledge of work planning, budgeting and reporting;
• Excellent quantitative and analytical skills;
• Excellent ability to communicate clearly, accurately and concisely in English, both verbally and in writing.
• Ability to multi-task and work long and flexible hours.
• Ability to work in a team and independently with minimal supervision.
• Ability to work with tight deadlines and deliver exceptional results.
• Computer-literate including accounting packages and proficiency in the use of Excel, Word, Powerpoint and basic data base set-ups.
Education Requirement: No Requirements
Job Experience: No Requirements
Work Hours: 8
Job application procedure
Interested candidates should obtain detailed Terms of Reference from this link:
http://znphi.co.zm/news/employment-opportunity and further information from address below during office hours i.e. 08.00 to 13.00 hours and 14.00 hours to 17.00 hours.
Application letters addressed to the Permanent Secretary (Administration), Ministry of Health, should include certified copies of academic / professional certificates and detailed Curriculum
Vitae with three traceable references. Applications must be deposited in the Tender Box at the
Ministry of Health, Ndeke House, Haile Selassie Road, ground floor of Ndeke House or submitted electronically. The Closing Date for applications is 27th May 2022 at or before10:30 hours local time.
Envelopes should clearly “indicate the position applied for” under the Zambia COVID-19
Emergency Response and Health Systems Preparedness Project (P174185).
If submitted in electronic copies, the applications must be submitted to the email addresses indicated below by the above stated closing date and time.
Chief Procurement and Supplies Officer
Ministry of Health
P.o Box 30205, Lusaka – Zambia, Tel: +260 211 253040/5
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org , email@example.com firstname.lastname@example.org,
Join a Focused Community on job search to uncover both advertised and non-advertised jobs that you may not be aware of. A jobs WhatsApp Group Community can ensure that you know the opportunities happening around you and a jobs Facebook Group Community provides an opportunity to discuss with employers who need to fill urgent position. Click the links to join. You can view previously sent Email Alerts here incase you missed them and Subscribe so that you never miss out.