Vacancy title: Grants and Compliance Officer (I-NGO)[ Type: FULL TIME , Industry: Consulting , Category: Accounting & Finance ]
Jobs at:Brilliance Executive Management Consultancy Limited
Deadline of this Job:
Friday, May 26 2023
Date Posted: Tuesday, May 16 2023, Base Salary: Not Disclosed
Brilliance Executive Management Consultancy Limited (BEMCONSULT) has been engaged by Diakonia Zambia Country Office to assist in the identification and recruitment of qualified and competent professionals from within the NGO sector. This position will be based at their Country Office in Lusaka.
Diakonia is a Swedish faith-based international development organization with the mission and overall goal of changing unfair political, economic, social, and cultural structures that generate poverty, inequality, oppression, and violence. Diakonia has about 400 partner organizations in 30 countries. In Sub-Saharan Africa Diakonia employs over 100 staff at country offices in Mozambique, DRC, Zimbabwe, Zambia, Uganda, Kenya, Somalia, Mali and Burkina Faso; and the Regional Office in Kenya. Diakonia’s Africa programmes are currently funded by SIDA, Swedish individual sponsors, EU, FCDO, Norway, Denmark, the Netherlands, Switzerland, UN agencies and private foundations.
Diakonia’s work focuses on human rights, democracy, and gender justice. Based on our experiences and expertise, we believe that focusing on these three interlinked areas is the best way for us to contribute to eradicating poverty, inequality, oppression, and violence, and to support people of all genders and ages in claiming power and resources. As climate change, environmental degradation, and conflict undermine development gains and increase vulnerabilities, these perspectives permeate all Diakonia’s work.
About the Project
With financial support from FCDO, Diakonia in Partnership with BBC Media Action is implementing a two-year programme up to November 2024. The project titled Deepening Democracy Facility (DDF) seeks to enhance and deepen democratic practices in Zambia. Envisaged as a highly flexible and adaptive, contextually driven, agile, focused on testing and learning and working towards scale including influencing others, the DDF uses an adaptive management that allows it to respond quickly to shifts in the context or capitalise on opportunities for influencing, collaboration and learning. The DDF’s overall goal is that democracy in Zambia is deepened ahead of the elections, through four broad objectives:
• To reform and strengthen key democratic institutions and processes
• To expand and protect civic space
• To deepen democracy and participation
• To deepen accountability, transparency, and anti-corruption
The programme has three contributing outcomes as follows:
• CSOs and media houses are using their skills to facilitate open discussions on policy issues;
• Constructive engagement between government and civil society; and
• Government actors make significant changes in at least 2 out of 3 policy areas and behaviors identified.
The Grants and Compliance Officer will provide technical support in effective grants management, compliance, and risk management of the accountable grant in accordance with grant agreement and other appropriate protocols. Monitor the grant management performance against key indicators and timelines. Provide technical advice to the consortium to ensure adherence to the grant specific rules and regulations.
Summary of Key Responsibilities:
• Maintain schedule of all planned donor financial reporting and ensure proactive planning and preparation to ensure successful completion, timely and accurate submission of reports internally.
• Monitor and support cash flow management including financing requests to Diakonia Head Office, timely and accurate payment requests made to donor and tracking outstanding amounts due from the donor.
• Provide technical guidance and support in preparing for project audits at country office and with downstream partners.
• Receive and assess financial reports from partners ensuring compliance with PME handbook requirement on proper reporting of expenditures, invoicing, procurement and asset management.
• Receive and assess audited financial reports, including management letters from partners.
• Participate in partnership assessment and induction of new partners on financial management
Compliance and Risk Management
• Monitor financial adherence and compliance to financial control systems, policies, and procedures.
• Review technical financial data ensuring it is translated into informative reports and flagging any risks for appropriate action.
• Establish and monitor key financial and grant compliance indicators. Carry out risk assessments, produce risk mitigation strategies and monitor shifts for ongoing grants.
• Maintain a risk register with all current project risk data and update status information on a regular basis.
• Identify potential areas of compliance risk factors, remain abreast of all compliance changes, activities and identify trends; communicate appropriately with staff concerning policies, procedures and updates.
• Track partner grants disbursement, expenditure and provide internal reporting schedules.
• Reconcile monthly, quarterly and annual financial reports in collaboration with the Finance and Administration Officer.
• Monitor budget performance for proper use of funds, and ensure compliance with donor requirements regarding procurement regulations, inventory, and other related obligations.
• Ensure strict adherence and compliance to financial control systems, policies and procedures as relates to the grant.
• Post financial data into the ledger and maintain custody of scanned payment vouchers monthly.
• Maintain up to date assets register including undertaking grant asset inventory.
• Support the coordination, planning, and execution of grant audit at country office and with partner organizations.
Procurement and Logistics
• Ensure downstream partners’ procurement procedures are compliant with applicable donor regulations and are consistent with sound business practices.
• Liaise with programme officer on procurement actions.
• Ensure compliance with statutory obligations (PAYE, NHIMA, NAPSA, PACRA, Workers’ Compensation, WHT, Ministry of Community Development) at the Country Office.
• Management of meetings and conferences and staff travel.
Oversee procurement policy and ensure conformity to applicable guidelines and standards.
Required Skills and Competencies
• Effective communication and interpersonal skills.
• High level of attention to detail and accuracy.
• Good analytical, report writing and communication skills.
• Demonstrates consistency in upholding integrity and ethics.
• Acting as a team player and facilitating teamwork.
• Consistently approaches work with energy and a positive attitude.
• Ability to remain calm, in control and good humoured even under pressure.
• Respond positively to critical feedback and differing points of views.
• Attention to detail.
Qualifications and Experience
• Full/Finalist of CA Zambia, ACCA or CIMA.
• Degree in Accounting/ Finance or Business Administration.
• Must have at least a minimum of 4-5 years of finance and administration experience gained from a Non-Profit Organization Handling Donor Funds
• Must be well-vested in most Accounting Software (i.e. Pastel)
• Must be conversant with Microsoft Office – Word, Excel, etc.
• Must be a member of ZICA
Work Hours: 8
Experience in Months: 60
Level of Education: Bachelor Degree
Job application procedure
QUALIFIED FEMALES ARE ENCOURAGED TO APPLY FOR THE ABOVE POSITION
If you meet the hiring requirements for this position, please email your CV in Ms Word and Cover Letter clearly stating your salary expectations to: email@example.com & copy in firstname.lastname@example.org
Note that, all communications will be kept in the strictest of confidence. If you do not receive communication within 21 working days of the closing date of the advert, please consider your application unsuccessful.
DO NOT SEND CERTIFICATES AT THIS STAGE
Join a Focused Community on job search to uncover both advertised and non-advertised jobs that you may not be aware of. A jobs WhatsApp Group Community can ensure that you know the opportunities happening around you and a jobs Facebook Group Community provides an opportunity to discuss with employers who need to fill urgent position. Click the links to join. You can view previously sent Email Alerts here incase you missed them and Subscribe so that you never miss out.