Deadline of this Job:
Wednesday, August 09 2023
Date Posted: Wednesday, July 26 2023, Base Salary: Not Disclosed
About the Junior Economist role
The Junior Economist’s primary role will be coding in Stata and/or R, and ensuring the quality of research design, implementation and outputs. Depending on the projects, the Junior Economist may be responsible for any of the following activities:
• Evaluation design: Estimating required sample size for any monitoring and evaluation activity, coding for impact evaluation design (e.g. random assignment, matching), programming SurveyCTO questionnaires for digital data collection.
• Evaluation implementation: Coding to ensure high data quality, data management including data
• Analysis: Conducting statistical analysis on datasets to produce results that inform recommendations and decisions.
• Data visualization: Presenting results for clients in easy to understand graphs, charts, tables, maps and other visualizations
• Quality control: Reviewing code to ensure quality code written by others on the project team
• Publication: Preparing data for publication in IDinsight’s data repository. Also preparing manuscripts for the publication of reports and/or articles in academic journals
• Monitoring: Building dashboards and/or data visualization tools to track key performance indicators
• Working with culturally and geographically diverse project teams. Working with project teams that can be spread across the globe, from different nationalities and cultures.
• Supporting the technical professional development of staff. Providing individualized technical support for IDinsight Associates, and periodically leading scheduled and ad-hoc training of technical topics.
The Junior Economist will be expected to fulfill these responsibilities and others with professionalism and on strict deadlines. They will also be expected to propose, design and implement new initiatives for supporting project teams and increasing the technical rigor of IDinsight’s work.
• Deeply passionate about social, economic, and environmental policies and programs, and social impact.
• Undergraduate degree in economics, econometrics, statistics, or political science, public policy. Outstanding quantitative and critical thinking skills.
• Self-starter who will thrive in a start-up setting by taking ownership and initiative.
• Intellectual curiosity and sense of humor.
• 2+ years of relevant work experience preferred, including working on empirical evaluations and research.
• Significant experience with Stata or R required. Experience with additional programming languages is a plus.
• Professional development for Junior Economists is essential for IDinsight’s long-term impact. With support from IDinsight leadership, Junior Economists maintain self-directed professional development plans and are given “stretch” opportunities designed to strengthen their professional skills. Real-time feedback and structured reviews are regularly provided to maximize each Researcher’s expertise. IDinsight’s entrepreneurial culture allows roles and career progression to be tailored to individual strengths, interests, and goals. Junior Economists have the opportunity to increase responsibilities, and high performers will have the opportunity to move up in the organization along technical, managerial, or client-facing paths.
• Opportunities to protect a small portion of time for the candidate to work on their own research agenda may be possible.
• Nuts and Bolts
• This position is based in any of our offices in Africa and Asia. Preference will be given to those with pre-existing work authorization in one of our country offices; however, IDInsight will seek work permits where possible for exceptional candidates.
• Compensation and benefits are commensurate with relevant experience and background, and competitive within the social sector. Please note, as a non-profit, we are unable to provide compensation similar to leading private sector organizations.
• Start Date
• The start date of this position is rolling, with preference for candidates that can start immediately. We expect a 1-year minimum commitment, with regular professional development conversations and potential for a longer-term career at IDinsight.
Work Hours: 8
Experience in Months: 24
Level of Education: Bachelor Degree
Job application procedure
• Please click the “Apply for this job online” button at the top right. The application asks various questions in order for us to get to know you, and requires a CV and cover letter. Applications are rolling and considered as they are submitted. Only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
• More information, including spotlights of current and past IDinsighters, can be found online at IDinsight Careers. Any questions should be directed to email@example.com.
• N.B. To prevent important email correspondence from going directly into your SPAM folder, thereby missing important application updates, please ensure that you whitelist firstname.lastname@example.org.
• IDinsight is an equal opportunity employer and strives to create a diverse and supportive workplace.
Join a Focused Community on job search to uncover both advertised and non-advertised jobs that you may not be aware of. A jobs WhatsApp Group Community can ensure that you know the opportunities happening around you and a jobs Facebook Group Community provides an opportunity to discuss with employers who need to fill urgent position. Click the links to join. You can view previously sent Email Alerts here incase you missed them and Subscribe so that you never miss out.