Local Government Finance Advisor
Deadline of this Job:
Tuesday, October 03 2023
Date Posted: Thursday, September 28 2023, Base Salary: Not Disclosed
• The Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) GmbH is the implementing agency of the Federal Republic of Germany for technical and international cooperation. It offers flexible, sustainable and effective solutions in political, economic and social change processes. Most of the work of GIZ is commissioned by the German Federal Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development (BMZ). GIZ also operates on behalf of other German ministries as well as public and private bodies in Germany and abroad. These include the European Commission, the United Nations, the World Bank and governments of other countries.
• The GIZ Decentralisation for Development programme designed to promote transparent and efficient local governance in Zambia aims at 1) supporting further conceptualisation and implementation of decentralization, 2) strengthening the capacities of local governments in development processes, 3) improving citizen participation in local development processes, (4) improving local public service delivery and (5) enhancing offers for capacity building in local governance.
• The programme partners at the national level with the Decentralisation Secretariat, the Ministry of Local Government and Rural Development, the Local Government Association of Zambia, the Chalimbana Local Government Training Institute, and at the local level with the local governments in Southern and Luapula Provinces
• In this context, the project is seeking a suitable candidate for the following position:
• Local Government Finance Advisor – (based in Choma)
REF: GIZ_ D4D _LGFA
• As the Local Government Finance Advisor, you will play a vital role in implementing the programme activities in Southern Province, especially those related to local government finance. Your responsibility will include working with the office of the Provincial Local Government Officer, all local authorities (with their newly devolved functions) in the province to improve revenue management, budgeting and expenditure planning.
Main tasks and responsibilities
• Support local government revenue management on integration of digital tools and processes for revenue collection in their revenue management systems.
Facilitate the identification and promotion of revenue enhancement strategies among the local authorities of Southern Province
Facilitate the development of an efficient and cost-effective approach for improved citizen engagement in planning and budgeting processes
Identify gaps and needs for better budget and expenditure planning
Support Local Authorities in Southern Province with the preparation of citizen friendly budget implementation reports for the financial years 2023 and 2024, and the long-term integration of reporting in the budget preparation process
Monitor and advise on harmonization of local budget with CDF and IDP projects
Identify knowledge gaps and advise on needs-based training measures and their systemic integration in the local government structure (beyond individual trainings without sustainable inclusion).
Liaise and collaborate with Advisors working on similar topics in Luapula province.
Organise learning and steering events with national level stakeholders and cooperating partners (donor agencies) on achieved results in Southern province
Undertake duty trips to Lusaka, and in single occasions, to Luapula province to promote peer to peer learning.
Qualifications and Requirements:
• Minimum ACCA Advanced Diploma in Accounting and Business or its equivalent
• ACCA Professional or its equivalent will be an advantage
• Professional experience
• More than 7 years of work experience in the public sector (experience in local government will be an added advantage)
• Management and leadership experience
• Hands-on experience in the local government budgeting process
• Experience in revenue management in local government (experience with e-payment systems will be an added advantage)
• Other knowledge and additional competences
• Excellent written and oral communication skills in English.
• Ability to thrive in a multicultural and multidisciplinary environment
• Good working knowledge of ICT and computer applications (i.e., MS Office software package etc.).
• Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively with team members
• Strong analytical and data management skills, including experience with data analysis software.
• Proactive and results-oriented work ethic
• Team player with the ability to work with minimum supervision
• Must be highly adaptable, proactive, and able to work to tight deadlines
• The successful candidate will be expected to start employment with GIZ, on a fixed term contract.
Work Hours: 8
Experience in Months: 36
Level of Education: Postgraduate Degree
Job application procedure
• Application deadline: 03.10.2023
• Please understand, that we can only accept and process applications via our E-recruiting system. Applications should meet the following criteria:
• Cover letter quoting the reference: GIZ_ D4D _LGFA must be uploaded using font type Arial, size 11. In the first paragraph, please outline your motivation for applying for the position. In the second paragraph, outline your experience in the position.
CVs must be submitted in PDF not exceeding three (3) pages. Do not indicate your marital status, religion, political affiliation or insert your photo.
Certificates, qualifications, etc. must not be attached to the application.
Traceable references of previous engagements must be provided.
GIZ is a signatory of the Diversity Charter. Recognition, appreciation and inclusion of diversity in the company are important to us. All employees shall be valued – regardless of gender and gender identity, nationality, ethnic origin, religion or belief, disability, social background or age.
• GIZ would like to increase the proportion of employees with disability. People with disabilities are strongly encouraged to apply.
• Interested and qualified? Click here to apply
Join a Focused Community on job search to uncover both advertised and non-advertised jobs that you may not be aware of. A jobs WhatsApp Group Community can ensure that you know the opportunities happening around you and a jobs Facebook Group Community provides an opportunity to discuss with employers who need to fill urgent position. Click the links to join. You can view previously sent Email Alerts here incase you missed them and Subscribe so that you never miss out.