Jobs at:Mary Begg Health Services
Deadline of this Job:
04 June 2022
Date Posted: Tuesday, May 24, 2022 , Base Salary: Not Disclosed
Purpose of role
At MBHS, our obstetrician/gynaecologist is responsible for delivering a high standard of obstetric and gynaecological (OB/GYN) care, focusing on issues related to women’s health and reproductive system, family planning and maternity services (antenatal, intrapartum and postpartum care). He/she runs the antenatal and postnatal clinic with support from the midwife and prioritises any emergency OB/GYN patient cases above clinic appointments. The gynaecologist will also perform gynaecological surgical or diagnostic procedures as required.
Our gynaecologist carry out his/her duties professionally, consistently, ethically and in line with international standards and evidence based medical practices. He/she works closely with other multidisciplinary clinicians to provide comprehensive medical care that is patient-focused, compassionate and safe.
• Comply with all MBHS standards for delivering high quality obstetric and gynaecological care and where relevant, identify and/or design any medical practice standards or procedures that are required.
• Provide primary obstetric and gynaecological care in keeping with international standards of good practice.
• Ensure that proper procedures are followed during OB/GYN emergencies, out-of-country transfers and referrals and all medical staff are aware of the medical escalation and evacuation procedure.
• Be responsible for all administrative duties and reporting as directed by the Chief Medical Officer, Medical Director and Clinic/ Hospital Manager.
• Attend regular clinic meetings (with the Chief Medical Officer/ Medical Director) and medical committee meetings to report on and discuss issues relating to improvements to the mother and child service.
• Be available for duty as rostered for normal shifts, on call shifts (defined as a standby period out of normal clinic hours), weekends and in case of emergencies.
• Ensure that Mary Begg policies and procedures, clinical guidelines and Zambian national regulations are adhered to at all times.
• Oversee the efficient running of the OB/GYN service at the clinic. This includes: perform women’s health assessments; testing and examinations; diagnose illnesses and infections; treat hormonal abnormalities; prescribe medication; perform routine antenatal checks and testing; order or execute various tests; perform foetal scans; analyse diagnostic images, reports and findings of tests and examinations to diagnosis conditions; counsel patients about birth control or fertility options; inoculate or vaccinate patients to immunise them from communicable disease; and refer or transfer patients as required.
Care for and treat women during prenatal, intrapartum and postpartum periods.
• Perform obstetric and gynaecological surgical procedures like delivering babies, caesareans procedures, D&Cs, abortions etc.
• Prior to surgery, ensure proper health education is given, discuss procedure risks and benefits with patients and families, make sure consent forms are signed and filed in the patient’s chart, and pre-operative plan is reviewed.
• Deliver babies by employing the internationally recognised best practice methods to protect the health of the mother and child.
• Ensure that patient medical documentation is accurate, legible and content appropriate.
Provide health education for pregnant women who are HIV positive and treat these women to eliminate mother to child transmission of HIV.
• Prepare government and organisational records on births and deaths.
• Ensure that patients are notified of their test results within 12 hours of receiving results.
• Ensure that universal infection control precautions are maintained throughout the clinic.
• Assist with appropriate medical assistance and recommendation for patients requiring evacuation services or referrals. This will include all documents, medical reports, organising of referrals, monitoring the patient’s condition, advice on appropriate means of evacuation, and monitoring the progress of the referral or evacuation.
• Be available to escort patients if required for a medical evacuation.
• Support the clinic/hospital manager and Chief Medical Officer with identifying medical equipment, medicines and consumables that need to be procured for the clinic.
• Promote a culture that is committed to learning from complaints, incidents, audit, research and development.
• Comply with other duties and responsibilities as may be required from the Chief Medical Officer and Medical Director and/or hospital/clinic manager from time to time
Education Requirement: No Requirements
Job Experience: No Requirements
Work Hours: 8
Join a Focused Community on job search to uncover both advertised and non-advertised jobs that you may not be aware of. A jobs WhatsApp Group Community can ensure that you know the opportunities happening around you and a jobs Facebook Group Community provides an opportunity to discuss with employers who need to fill urgent position. Click the links to join. You can view previously sent Email Alerts here incase you missed them and Subscribe so that you never miss out.