Vacancy title: Officer, Taxation[ Type: FULL TIME , Industry: Mining , Category: Accounting & Finance ]
Jobs at:First Quantum Minerals Ltd
Deadline of this Job:
21 February 2023
Date Posted: Tuesday, February 07, 2023 , Base Salary: Not Disclosed
At First Quantum, we free the talent of our people by taking a very different approach which is underpinned by a very different, very definite culture – the “First Quantum Way”.
Working with us is not like working anywhere else, which is why we recruit people who will take a bolder, smarter approach to spot opportunities, solve problems and deliver results.
Our culture is all about encouraging you to think independently and to challenge convention to deliver the best result. That’s how we continue to achieve extraordinary things in extraordinary locations.
Purpose of the role
Supporting the Taxation Accountant to ensure compliance for all Income Tax, Transfer Pricing, Value Added Tax (“VAT”), Withholding Tax (“WHT”), Customs Duties and Mineral Royalty Tax (“MRT”). The role focuses on the preparation, correctness, review and remittance of Income Tax, VAT, WHT, Import & Export Duties and MRT payments, returns, and the research of tax inquires. The Taxation Officer plays an integral part in supporting the Tax Accountant and the senior finance management in areas of tax compliance, internal control and financial reporting.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
o Support the Taxation Accountant to manage all Income Tax, Transfer Pricing, VAT, WHT, import & Export Duties and MRT of the business under the direct supervision of the Accounting Superintendent.
o Prepare, organize, and compile data for the preparation of annual filings and statutory tax returns.
o Support the Taxation Accountant to implement the internal control improvement initiative of processes for the above taxes and handle the documentation and review of process flows.
o Has input to identify key controls and efficiency opportunities and help prepare written correspondence and other documents for submission to the statutory authorities.
o Preparation of tax estimates and planning.
o Preparation of tax accruals and taxing authorities’ draft responses to notices received.
• Financial / Tax Analysis & Reporting:
o Prepare tax returns, inclusive of other supporting schedules.
o Preparation of tax calculations for quarterly/annual estimated payments and associated journal entries.
o Support the Taxation Accountant in financial reporting that pertains to regulatory compliance and financial reporting pertaining compliance.
• Documentation & Records Management:
o Responsible for proper documentation and tax record management.
o Conduct research and document tax-related technical issues, preparing written communication of tax issues, for example, refund claims, tax inquiries, self-disclosures, needed exemption forms, etc.
o Is charged with the preparation of weekly/annual/ journal entries in a timely and accurate manner.
o Reconciles tax general ledger accounts and prepares tax accounting journal entries.
o Liaises with external tax accounting firms and tax authorities, when required.
o Required to work closely with the finance, accounts payable and commercial teams.
o Along with the Taxation Accountant, the Taxation Officer is also responsible for coordinating internal management and review of the business’s tax affairs.
• Perform any other duties assigned by the Supervisor.
Qualifications & Experience
• Full grade twelve (G12) school certificate.
• Degree in Accounting and professional accountancy qualification (e.g. ACCA, CIMA, ZICA etc.) or studying towards that.
• Member of the Zambia Institute of Chartered Accountants (ZICA).
• Minimum 2 to 4 years of tax/accounting experience.
Job Specific Competencies
• Analytical skills and working with volumes of data.
• Good understanding of mining operations.
• Knowledge of international financial reporting standards (IFRS).
• Up-to-date knowledge of relevant Zambian laws and regulations (e.g. Companies’ Act, Tax laws etc).
• Good command of the English language (speaking and writing).
• Proficiency in Microsoft Excel and Word.
• Excellent interpersonal skills.
Key Job Attributes
• Ability to work under pressure and handle competing work demands.
• Must be dependable and self-motivated.
• Must have good communication and interpersonal skills.
• Accurate and precise attention to detail.
• Able to work under minimum supervision.
• Unquestionable integrity.
• Must uphold the company and professional code of ethics.
Work Hours: 8
Experience in Months: 24
Level of Education: Bachelor Degree
Join a Focused Community on job search to uncover both advertised and non-advertised jobs that you may not be aware of. A jobs WhatsApp Group Community can ensure that you know the opportunities happening around you and a jobs Facebook Group Community provides an opportunity to discuss with employers who need to fill urgent position. Click the links to join. You can view previously sent Email Alerts here incase you missed them and Subscribe so that you never miss out.