Project Assistant Accountant
Jobs at:Zambia Red Cross Society
Deadline of this Job:
Tuesday, May 30 2023
Date Posted: Friday, May 19 2023, Base Salary: Not Disclosed
ZAMBIA RED CROSS SOCIETY
The Zambia Red Cross Society (ZRCS) is a Humanitarian Organization established in 1966 by an Act of Parliament CAP 307 of the laws of Zambia as an auxiliary institution that augments government efforts in humanitarian assistance. ZRCS is part of the International Red Cross movement known as International Federation of the Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies (IFRC). In line with its mandate, ZRCS works with various actors in collaboration with Government of Zambia in responding to both man-made and natural disasters. Zambia Red Cross Society is implementing an ECHO project which is a new model for humanitarian action tarred towards supporting local communities to prepare for, respond to, and recover from disasters subsequently protecting communities and helping them withstand future shocks, in order to effectively implement this project ZRCS hereby invites applications from suitable, qualified and experienced individuals to fill the position of Project Assistant Accountant
The Project Assistant Accountant shall report to the Finance Manager. He/She will provide support to the organization as it implements the strategic goals and objectives of Zambia Red Cross Society. He/She will provide financial support and will be responsible for capturing accounting information, prepare bank reconciliation statements and donor financial reports.
Financial Accounting and Management
• Ensure that the financial accounting documents are produced and shared in a timely manner
• Ensure monthly financial management and management accounting reports; are prepare and issued on a timely basis
• Provide budget holders with support and explanation of the budget and forecast planning process
• Assist in the understanding of any variances between planned and unplanned income and expenditure;
• Produce high quality analysis and interpretation of variances between budget / forecast and actual costs;
• Support the external audit process and liaise with internal and external auditors.
• Assist in the production of statutory reporting and accounts.
• Ensure a comprehensive control system, including policies and reporting procedures, that confirms efficient financial performance are put in place for accurate and timely reporting to senior management.
• Ensure documentation submitted by field offices and programs is reviewed for accuracy and compliance prior to entry into Pastel.
Transaction processing and quality assurance
• Ensure that all transactions relating to ECO project are timely intentered into the financial system.
• Enter code systems as provided by Finance Manager to ensure project reporting is appropriate done.
• Create controls and processes, aligned to the financial reporting system and ZRCS’s policies and guidelines, to ensure legality and quality of all transactions and such that they are approved in line with donor and ZRCS policies.
• Prepare and review monthly transactions listing for completeness and assurance and post required adjustments in a timely manner.
• Reconcile all project balance sheet accounts every month.
• Ensure the Finance Manager is assisted in tracking working advances and reviewing balances in deferred accounts.
• Prepare and review monthly statement for the project.
• Resolve and clear any historical outstanding balances. Ensure all transactions are supported by adequate documentation, SGs approval and that documentation is filed and retained in a traceable and suitable way.
• Ensure all reversing transactions are adequately cleared on a timely manner. Ensure ZRCS’s internal and external deadlines are met.
• Ensure that all accruals are reviewed periodically and settled especially before project closure.
• Ensure all aspects of Contract Management System relating to finance are completed and consistent with the finance system
Reporting and analysis
• Ensure that monthly reports are produced as required by the project guidelines on a timely basis Produce financial analysis as required by the project to assist in decision-making
• Produce financial risk-register to be reviewed on a monthly basis, and share key concerns with Finance Manager, and Director of Programs
• Review, Produce and consolidate reports from project sites for donor reporting and internal management purposes as per required timelines.
• Ensure that adequate documentation is available for review such as transaction listing from project areas on a monthly basis.
• Ensuring adherence to donor schedule and internal management deadlines
• Produce explanatory financial narrative for any reports as required.
• Respond to donor questions regarding financials at any time and as required
Planning, start-up and closure
• Ensure that project budgets are coordinated and concerns raised by the donors are addressed in a mature manner. Ensure maximum cost recovery, including overhead costs and levies on all projects
• Develop reporting templates and other tools in line with donor requirements and the requirements of ZRCS’s finance system,
• Ensure reports are generated from the system to in the desired format
• Work with implementing staff to establish systems that are integrated and meet donor and audit requirements
• Work with line managers to close out projects within the finance system and align the closeout to final donor reporting.
• Ensure that a checklist for projects closure is prepared in consultation with project staff and line Managers.
• Support in mid-term/periodic review and preparation of revised project budgets.
• Ensure proposed changes in budget review are in line with donor requirements
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
• Degree in accoutnant
• Full AAT, Natech, ACCA/CIMA Level II or equivalent, plus five (5) years’ experience in accounting, particularly in donor/grant-funded institutions.
• Significant experience to one or more computerized accounting packages, preferably QuickBooks, ACCPAC, or Pastel.
DESIRED COMPETENCIES AND SKILLS
• The ability to produce accurate financial report.
• Excellent attention to detail
• The ability to work to strict time constraints
• The ability to prioritise work
• An organised and methodical approach to a task
• Strong written and oral communication
• Analytical and problem solving skills
• Systems analysis
• Mathematical and deductive reasoning
• Critical thinking
• Proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite
Work Hours: 8
Experience in Months: 60
Level of Education: Bachelor Degree
Job application procedure
Interested and qualified click here to apply
Join a Focused Community on job search to uncover both advertised and non-advertised jobs that you may not be aware of. A jobs WhatsApp Group Community can ensure that you know the opportunities happening around you and a jobs Facebook Group Community provides an opportunity to discuss with employers who need to fill urgent position. Click the links to join. You can view previously sent Email Alerts here incase you missed them and Subscribe so that you never miss out.