Vacancy title: School Accountant[ Type: FULL TIME , Industry: Education, and Training , Category: Accounting & Finance ]
Jobs at:Promoting Equality in African Schools(PEAS)
Deadline of this Job:
26 September 2022
Date Posted: Tuesday, September 20, 2022 , Base Salary: Not Disclosed
About PEAS (Promoting Equality in African Schools)
PEAS (www.peas.org.uk) is a fast-growing charity with a mission to ‘expand access to sustainably delivered quality secondary education across Africa’. We run the fastest-growing network of sustainably financed secondary schools in Africa.
At PEAS, we are passionate about delivering quality education at a low cost, can educate the poorest rural communities in Zambia, and replicating our model across other communities. We work closely with the Zambian Ministry of General Education (MOGE) helping to achieve their national goals and have partnered with the MOGE to build an exemplary network of secondary schools in Zambia.
PEAS Zambia has achieved great things over the last 10 years, and we know we can achieve even more in the next 10 years. Building on the solid foundations of our programme, we want to grow in our secondary school network and beyond.
Our ambition is to be true exemplars of quality education and to drive improvements across the Zambian education system. We are now looking for a School Improvement Lead to join us on this exciting and challenging journey to make our ambition a reality.
Reports to: Headteacher
The Role of the School accountant is very diverse as the person managing this position is required to manage and account for school finances, thus the position requires the school accountant to be flexible, solutions focus, and be able to apply energy and enthusiasm to all aspects of the role. The candidate will need to be a team player capable of and willing to support colleagues where needs arise.
FINANCIAL RELATED DUTIES
A.) Income Management
• Issues Invoices to all the students in QuickBooks on a termly basis, to ensure that income is properly accounted for
• Ensure that receipts are issued timely to students as and when money is received from them and the corresponding entries are made in QuickBooks.
• Recognise a prepayment for all income received in advance to ensure proper accountability
• Maintain an up-to-date student ledger for all the students and ensure that the ledger corresponds to the class registers
• Work with SLT to achieve a target of 100% on school fees collection (Boarding )
• Ensure that All income collected at the school is properly accounted for by making sure that it is properly receipted and banked, this includes but not limited to:
o Income collected from school fees (Both Day and Boarding)
o Income from IGAs
o Sale of uniforms
• Another income that is made available to the school through any other means i.e., Contributions
B.) Expenditure management
• The school accountant is responsible for budget monitoring at school level therefore should ensure that expenditure is in line with the budget
• Ensure that a proper channel is followed before any payment is issued. The process being:
• A requisition raised for all payments by the responsible dept
• A requisition is checked and authorised by the head teacher
• Ensure that all payments are supported with the necessary documentation
• Maintain a proper stock management system to ensure efficient utilisation of resources.
• Reconciliation of stock to before any requisition is authorised
• All Payments should be posted into QuickBooks as soon as possible (all payment should be properly coded with cheque numbers and stamped paid & Posted)
• All Payments made should be retired within a week of payment being issues
C.) Petty cash Management
• Handle petty cash for the organisation
• Properly check the relevance of all petty cash requisition before money is issued
• Ensure that the requisition is approved before money is given out to any individual
• Ensure that Petty cash is retired with supporting document within two days of money being released
• Properly reconcile petty cash with impress before making a new requisition
• Ensure that all petty cash retirement is properly filed for future reference
• School reports
• The assistant accountant shall be responsible for preparing the following reports at school level
• On a Monthly basis the school bursar shall prepare the income statement, balance sheet in QuickBooks and a backup to the FOA before or on the 3rd of the following month.
• Bank reconciliation in QuickBooks
• Reconciliation of debtors in QuickBooks and in the student ledger (recommend to the Finance and grants manager possible write off.)
• Ensure that the undeposited account on the balance sheet is properly reconciled and is always at Zero
• Cashflow forecast to monitor the cashflow position of the schools
• Payroll reconciliation to ensure that all liabilities have been properly recognised in the balance sheet.
• Work with SLT to come up with a school budget during the planning and budgeting process
• Maintain an updated fixed asset register at school level and ensure all school assets are properly maintained
• Any other reports requested either by the school or central office.
D.) PROCUREMENT AND SUPPLIERS
• Follow the guidelines of the PEAS Zambia Procurement Committee to ensure strict procurement discipline and compliance with PEAS-Zambia procedures.
• Collect three quotations whenever procurement is required
• Arrange procurement meetings to analyse the quotation
• Review all the quotations and highlight the pros & cons of each quotation to the procurement team
• Take note of recommendations whilst in the meeting
• Help manage relationships with suppliers and ensure that payments are made according to PEAS financial procedures.
• Make a request for approved quotation and commence the process of buying
• Banking & statutory Payments
• Banking for all income collected should be done as soon as practicable (Not less than 48 hours of receiving income)
• Act as an agent for the organisation for all banking requirements i.e., withdraw and deposits
• Ensure that all statutory payments are paid before the 10th of every month (Through online banking)
• Ensure that all new employees are registered with NAPSA and ZRA
• Attend to any queries from Napsa on behalf of all the employees
• Ensure that all Payments are deposits are properly filed in the respective folders
• Support Other departments with Filling as and when required
• Ensure that all official Document are Properly filled both in Hard copy and soft copy
E.) Cash Management
• The Assistant accountant should ensure that the school should not hold more than enough cash at any time. (thus, banking should be done within 48hrs)
• The assistant accountant should advise all students to pay through the bank and should at all cost avoid cash receipts.
• All payment should be made by cheque or online transfer unless otherwise it is not feasible to do so
• Employee salaries should be made through bank transfers (No employee should be paid cash)
• Any Other Duties Assigned by the superiors in line with PEAS work
Job Experience: No Requirements
Work Hours: 8
Level of Education: Bachelor Degree
Job application procedure
All job applications should be sent to email@example.com clearly indicating in the subject line the position you are applying to.
Address your application letter to
The Human Resource Officer
Promoting Equality in African Schools Zambia LTD
39 Kabinga Street, Northrise.
Please note, that only complete applications will be reviewed, and only qualified candidates will be shortlisted and contacted. We will review applications on a case-by-case basis and shortlisted applicants may be invited in earlier than the closing date. We reserve the right to close the application process sooner than the date specified should we receive a high number of qualified candidates.
The deadline for applications is Monday 26th September 2022 at 17:00hrs CAT.
PEAS is an equal opportunity employer that does not discriminate in its recruitment practices and, to build the strongest possible workforce, actively seeks a diverse applicant pool.
PEAS has a strict Child Protection Policy. All staff are expected to abide by this.
Join a Focused Community on job search to uncover both advertised and non-advertised jobs that you may not be aware of. A jobs WhatsApp Group Community can ensure that you know the opportunities happening around you and a jobs Facebook Group Community provides an opportunity to discuss with employers who need to fill urgent position. Click the links to join. You can view previously sent Email Alerts here incase you missed them and Subscribe so that you never miss out.