Senior Finance Assistant
Jobs at:ILO - International Labour Organization
Deadline of this Job:
Saturday, December 30 1899
Date Posted: Saturday, June 24 2023, Base Salary: Not Disclosed
External contacts are primarily with service providers, banks and with counterparts in United Nations (UN) agencies and other international organizations to coordinate and follow up on pending issues. The incumbent shares information and contributes to resolving complex finance-related support matters.
Key Duties and Responsibilities
1. Undertake and complete a range of specialized finance support functions and services. Initiate, process, review and follow up on administrative actions, including verifying that information and documentation is in compliance with financial rules and regulations, policies, procedures and applicable standards.
2. Perform targeted analytical reviews and trend analysis of specific types of activities including extra-budgetary projects, ensuring proper authorization and complete supporting documentation, and check for fraudulent documents and transactions. Contribute to the preparation of financial analytical reports.
3. Serve as a certifying officer for the Office as necessary.
4. Undertake monthly bank reconciliation and follow up on outstanding issues including contacting banks to clarify issues on account statements.
5. Review, correct and maintain a variety of financial, budget and other accounting records and documents to ensure that transactions are matched and completed. Maintain, monitor and reconcile budget data, including for overtime, salary deductions and other payments. Prepare detailed cost estimates and participate in budget analysis and projections as required. Prepare year-end closure of accounts in compliance with applicable standards and procedures.
6. Review and analyse financial transactions performed by the concerned office(s) and ensure their overall compliance with applicable standards. Keep management informed of the internal control of financial and administrative activities and propose action as required.
7. Conduct review of accounts and analyse information from multiple sources for financial status, implementation and monitoring reports, activities and projects. Follow up on VAT claims and outstanding claims on advances and closing of suspense accounts. Monitor and provide information on the utilization of resources for donor and other funding counterpart reporting.
8. Assist in the follow-up on internal audit recommendations, draft responses to external audit inquiries and observations, for the consideration of the supervisor.
9. Keep abreast of changes to financial rules and regulations, policies, procedures and other developments and provide guidance and deliver training to staff with the view to building knowledge. Oversee and guide the work of support staff performing finance-related work as required.
10. Evaluate and propose improvements to work methods and processes with a view to ensuring optimum efficiency and effectiveness. Liaise closely with other administrative areas to ensure effective and smooth service design and delivery, recommending improvements on interrelated processes.
11. Support DC projects with preparation of solicitation documents for procurement of goods and services. Assist in ongoing review records and information to determine if procurement processes and procedures are effectively followed.
12. Perform other relevant duties as assigned by the Supervisor.
optional section (only if needed)
Completion of secondary school education. Training in Accounting or Finance.
• Minimum of six years of operational or administrative support work experience, the majority of which in the provision of financial operations support services. Experience of working with an enterprise resource planning (ERP) system, in particular finance modules. Experience in within the UN system or International NGOs is a strong advantage.
• Excellent command of English.
Knowledge and Competencies (technical/behavioural)
• Good knowledge of financial administration, accounting techniques, local taxation and banking methods.
Good knowledge of international accounting standards such as International Public Sector Accounting Standards (IPSAS) or other international or national accounting standards.
Knowledge of methods and techniques for assessing quality and efficiency of process execution.
Knowledge of the substantive nature of ILO programmes and activities.
• Knowledge of UN Common System policies in the area of finance.
Good knowledge of PC software (including word processor, spreadsheet and presentation software) such as Microsoft Office.
In addition to the ILO core competencies [Integrity and transparency, Sensitivity to diversity, Orientation to learning and knowledge sharing, Client orientation, Communication, Orientation to change, Takes responsibility for performance, Quality orientation, Collaboration], this position requires:
Ability to interpret and work within the applicable financial rules and regulations, policies and procedures.
Ability to adapt quickly to new software and systems.
Accuracy and attention to detail.
Sense of responsibility to maintain data integrity.
Ability to coordinate the work of support staff.
Ability to work in a multicultural environment and to demonstrate gender-sensitive and non-discriminatory behaviour and attitudes.
Assessed candidates who will be considered as appointable but not selected for this position can also be offered to be assigned on another temporary position at the same or at a lower grade provided that said candidates possesses the minimum qualifications for this position.
ONLY SHORTLISTED CANDIDATES WILL BE ACKNOWLEDGE.
Work Hours: 8
Experience in Months: 60
Level of Education: High School
Job application procedure
• Please note that all candidates must complete an on-line application form. To apply, please visit the ILO Jobs website. The system provides instructions for online application procedures.
• Interested and qualified? Click here to apply
• The ILO does not charge any fee at any stage of the recruitment process whether at the application, interview, processing or training stage. Messages originating from a non ILO e-mail account – @ilo.org – should be disregarded. In addition, the ILO does not require or need to know any information relating to the bank account details of applicants.
Join a Focused Community on job search to uncover both advertised and non-advertised jobs that you may not be aware of. A jobs WhatsApp Group Community can ensure that you know the opportunities happening around you and a jobs Facebook Group Community provides an opportunity to discuss with employers who need to fill urgent position. Click the links to join. You can view previously sent Email Alerts here incase you missed them and Subscribe so that you never miss out.