Senior Finance Assistant
Deadline of this Job:
07 May 2022
Date Posted: Tuesday, April 26, 2022 , Base Salary: Not Disclosed
Senior Finance Assistant
Interested staff members should consult the Administrative Instruction on Recruitment and Assignment of Locally Recruited Staff (RALS, UNHCR/AI/2020/1/Rev.2). If you have questions regarding your eligibility, you may also contact the HR Unit.
In line with the RALS, the below category of candidates are eligible to apply for internally and external advertised vacancies.
Group 1 candidates: Group 1 comprises current GS staff members holding an indefinite or fixed-term appointment who, at the date of the deadline for application, are serving in the country of the vacancy at the grade of the position or one grade below or above. However, current GS staff members holding an indefinite or fixed-term appointment in the country of the vacancy who apply for a position two grades above the personal grade will be considered as Group 2 applicants.
Group 2 candidates: Group 2 comprises candidates from the below categories after completion of one cumulative or continuous year of service in the country of the vacancy.
• Current locally recruited UNHCR staff members holding a temporary appointment up to a maximum of two grades above their current positions;
• Former locally recruited UNHCR staff members who held an indefinite or fixed-term appointment (within 2 years of separation for males and 5 years for females) up to a maximum of two grades above the last position at UNHCR;
• National United Nations Volunteers currently working for UNHCR;
• National UNOPS and individual contractors currently working for UNHCR;
• Current GS staff members holding an indefinite or fixed-term appointment applying to a position in the same category two grades above the staff member¿s personal grade;
• Current UNHCR staff members in the International Professional category holding an indefinite or fixed-term appointment applying to a GS post;
• Current UNHCR staff members in the NPO category holding an indefinite or fixed-term appointment applying to a GS post;
• Current locally recruited female staff members from other UN system Organizations holding the equivalent of an indefinite or fixed-term appointment up to a maximum of two grades above their current positions.
External candidates: External candidates are candidates who are not in Group 1 or Group 2. They must meet the essential minimum requirements of the position, candidates not citizens of the country must comply with all eligibility requirements for employment in line with the prevailing legislative prerequisites in the country.
Procedures and Eligibility
Interested applicants should consult the Administrative Instruction on Recruitment and Assignment of Locally Recruited Staff (RALS).
Duties and Qualifications
Organizational Setting and Work Relationships
The Senior Finance Assistant is normally supervised by a more senior finance colleague who defines work objectives and provides regular advice and guidance. The incumbent also refers to UNHCR Manuals and relevant policy papers on financial issues.
The incumbent assists with the processing of financial transactions. S/he keeps frequent contact with staff at various levels in the office and with bank officials to exchange information.
All UNHCR staff members are accountable to perform their duties as reflected in their job description. They do so within their delegated authorities, in line with the regulatory framework of UNHCR which includes the UN Charter, UN Staff Regulations and Rules, UNHCR Policies and Administrative Instructions as well as relevant accountability frameworks. In addition, staff members are required to discharge their responsibilities in a manner consistent with the core, functional, cross-functional and managerial competencies and UNHCR¿s core values of professionalism, integrity and respect for diversity.
• Maintain financial records for project or other office accounts for which responsibility is assigned.
• Record receipts and payments, assure accuracy of computation and completeness of documents and maintain continuing status of allotments against obligations.
• Prepare recurring reports on assigned accounts, noting problems resulting from excess cost or less-than-expected receipts.
• Prepare special reports to clarify problems or as requested for other reasons.
• Calculate and compile cost estimates and projected budget requirements and assist in preparation of budget statements for area of assignment.
• Prepare routine correspondence and maintain contracts with others to discuss matters concerning accounts and related assignments.
• Maintain contacts with local banks to clarify questions pertaining to office bank accounts.
• Brief and assist new staff on basic financial procedures and requirements with respect to payments, entitlements, banking and currency provisions and other requirements relating to accounts and finance.
• Initiate correspondence to verify data, answer queries and obtain additional information on accounts and financial transactions, as required.
• Perform other related duties as required.
Certificates and/or Licenses
Accounting; Business Administration; Finance; HCR Learning Prog;
(Certificates and Licenses marked with an asterisk* are essential)
• Organizational Awareness
• Teamwork & Collaboration
• Commitment to Continuous Learning
• Client & Result Orientation
• Managerial Competencies:
• Not specified.
• Cross-Functional Competencies:
• Analytical Thinking
• Technological Awareness
• Planning and Organizing
• Language Requirements
A competitive compensation and benefits package is offered. For information on UN salaries, allowances and benefits, please visit the portal of the International Civil Service Commission and please refer to the relevant category / grade level. You can download the salary scale at: http://icsc.un.org
See below for this postion’s Operational Context
The Senior Finance Assistant is normally supervised by a more senior finance colleague who defines work objectives and provides regular advice and guidance. The incumbent also refers to UNHCR Manuals and relevant policy papers on financial issues. The Senior Finance Assistant for Representation office in Luska will among other duties assist with processing of financial transactions in accordance with UNHCR manual and relevant policy on financial issues. This will include processing of Travel Authorisation, Travel claims, payment vouchers preparation, issue Journals, process and reconcile open items, and periodical prepare expenditure reports. S/he will keep frequent contact with staff at various levels in the office and with bank officials to exchange information Currently, the Representation office rely on the support of Senior Administrative Assistant who assumes the role of preparer for Accounts Payable (AP) vouchers/Travel & Expenses (T&E) module besides her day to day demanding admin functions. The Representation office in Lusaka besides its own day to day admin/finance related activities supports other Field offices in Zambia including HQ for travel, finance, and admin operational activities. Admin/Finance Unit in Lusaka has three staff supported by the Admin/ Finance Officer who are overwhelmed with huge responsibilities to support the operation. The Senior Finance Assistant will assist the team with implementation of Travel & Expense (T&E) Module to attain the required standard for recording of Travel expenses. In addition, the incumbent will assist with preparation of journals for timely clearance of open items and preparation of recurring reports required for budget preparation and audit purposes. The Senior Finance Assistant will ensure monthly reconciliation of open items both under the T&E module and general ledger accounts.
Please also note that recruitment as a UNHCR staff member and engagement under a UNHCR affiliate scheme or as an intern is subject to proof of vaccination against COVID-19.
The closing date for submission of applications is 07 May 2022 Mid night Geneva time
Education Requirement: No Requirements
Job Experience: No Requirements
Work Hours: 8
Join a Focused Community on job search to uncover both advertised and non-advertised jobs that you may not be aware of. A jobs WhatsApp Group Community can ensure that you know the opportunities happening around you and a jobs Facebook Group Community provides an opportunity to discuss with employers who need to fill urgent position. Click the links to join. You can view previously sent Email Alerts here incase you missed them and Subscribe so that you never miss out.