Senior Metallurgist, Accounting
Jobs at:First Quantum Minerals
Deadline of this Job:
Friday, September 29 2023
Date Posted: Wednesday, September 13 2023, Base Salary: Not Disclosed
Overall, Job Purpose
• As a key member of the Processing Technical team and reporting into the Superintendent Technical, the Senior Metallurgist – Metallurgical Laboratory and Accounting is accountable for the effective and efficient operation of the Metallurgical Laboratory to contribute to maximized production and minimized costs while ensuring operational sustainability.
• The role has a focus on daily-weekly optimization.
Specific Job Responsibility
• Mining Regulations.
• The role has accountability for performance of the equipment and personnel in the Metallurgical Laboratory;
• The role leads the identification, detailed planning and high-quality execution of the metallurgical test work (R&D) to optimize the process plant performance.
• Maintain HSE standards and ensure strict compliance within the Metallurgical team.
• Perform mass balance calculation and prepare daily, weekly, monthly and sporadic reporting.
• Liaise with procurement to ensure a timely supply of consumables (Reagents and grinding media)
• Ensuring that duties are performed according to accepted standards and regulations.
• Providing a day-to-day management support to the business.
• Ability to co-ordinate events whenever necessary.
Job Specific Competencies
• Liaise with commercial to ensure concentrate dispatching is done according to concentrate quality (Blending strategy)
• Ensure all safety incidents are addressed & reported promptly.
• Maintain a very high standard of Laboratory housekeeping.
• Consistently deliver and exceed the main KPI’s of timely (sampling, analysis and reporting) and accurate metallurgical analysis.
• Prioritize workloads and deliver analyses turnaround time obligations.
• Directly participate in the daily to monthly work activities of the processing plant to provide feedback and recommend further test work to enhance plant performance.
• Identify potential improvement test work through the personal inspection of plant condition and performance.
• Plan and execute test work according to Processing and Project requirements, providing quality technical insights on the results.
• Maintain a user-friendly, exhaustive and up-to-date database of all test-work.
• Review metallurgical test-work procedures, and develop new procedures as required to support process development initiatives.
• Work with limited supervision to maintain very high standards of laboratory performance.
• Maintain Laboratory QA/QC system and timeously investigate all deviations.
• Monitor, control and report on Metallurgical Laboratory performance.
• Manage the interaction with the Processing Operations teams to ensure high compliance to customer requirements.
• Maintain and execute the short- and long-term equipment maintenance plans and schedules to deliver the required equipment availability and precision.
• Collect samples and manage external service providers of test work.
• Implement the structure, manning levels and resources to deliver metallurgical test work.
• Lead the Metallurgical Laboratory team to consistently deliver and exceed expectations.
• Maintain staff development and training programs, particularly skills transfer and coaching of junior metallurgists (nationals).
• Contribute to the annual technical section budget/forecasts.
• Control and reduce operational costs.
• Implement FQM Way culture – “Smarter, Bolder, Driven;”
• Perform any other duties as assigned by the Superintendent Technical.
Key Job Attributes
• Commitment to SHEC performance.
• Good leadership and motivational skills, and get work done through others.
• Strong drive and personal sense of ownership and accountability.
• Strong ability to task assign and build working relations.
• Excellent cognitive and analytical skills.
• Affinity to supervise technical research, direct and train laboratory technicians.
• Accustomed to carrying out advanced calculations and possess ability to analyze and understand highly complex and statistical metallurgical data.
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills, and able to assemble data and provide clear and accurate operational performance reports in both an upward and downward direction.
• Ability to work autonomously and maintain self-discipline under pressure.
• Be diligent and thorough in approach.
• Be enthusiastic and pro-active in manner.
• Computer fluency is a must.
• Ability to work in a multi-cultural environment.
• English language fluency.
Experience required to perform in this job.
• Minimum 5 years working as a Senior Metallurgist and/or Laboratory Manager with a sound technical knowledge of base metal processing.
• Minimum 5 years appropriate experience in metallurgical test work.
• Experience in metallurgical process operations of a large copper concentrator highly regarded.
• Experience in process mineralogy and Geo-Metallurgical programs highly regarded also.
• A Degree in Metallurgy, Mineral Processing or related field.
• Eligibility for membership of the Engineering Institute of Zambia (EIZ), and to hold relevant legal appointment as defined by the Mining Regulations of Zambia
Work Hours: 8
Experience in Months: 60
Level of Education: Bachelor Degree
Join a Focused Community on job search to uncover both advertised and non-advertised jobs that you may not be aware of. A jobs WhatsApp Group Community can ensure that you know the opportunities happening around you and a jobs Facebook Group Community provides an opportunity to discuss with employers who need to fill urgent position. Click the links to join. You can view previously sent Email Alerts here incase you missed them and Subscribe so that you never miss out.