Jobs at:WeForest Zambia Ltd.
Deadline of this Job:
04 September 2022
Date Posted: Wednesday, August 17, 2022 , Base Salary: Not Disclosed
Job Title – Mpumba Conservation Officer
Location – Mununga, Lavushimanda district, Muchinga province
Reporting line – Mpumba CFA project manager
WeForest is a fast growing international non-profit association with headquarters in Belgium and legal entities in France, USA, Ethiopia and Zambia. The organization is promoting Forest Landscape Restoration (FLR) best practices and our activities are growing as we are looking for an experienced conservation officer to further capacitate the Zambia team.
WeForest has been active around reforestation and non-timber livelihood creation with local communities in Zambia since 2011. Currently, five projects are running, two in the Copperbelt and three in Muchinga provinces.
The Mpumba CFA project in Muchinga province covers three Community Forest Areas (CFAs) and aims to enhance the ecological integrity of natural resources and the resilience and health of natural resource-dependent communities through sustainable forest management practices and strong public-private-community partnerships and enterprise. This to maintain and improve the state of natural resources, such as the population size of key species while at the same time help to increase household food security in the area.
For this project, WeForest seeks to recruit a Conservation Officer to be based at the Mpumba office in Mununga, Lavushimanda District.
The Conservation Officer will be responsible to co-drive together with the Community Forest Management Group all sustainable forest management and conservation related aspects of the Community Forest Areas (CFAs). These follow the Forest Management plans and include, but are not limited to forest patrols and law-enforcement and fire management. They also include forest structure monitoring and ecological surveys.
The Conservation Officer will report to the Project Manager and will mainly be active in the field. S/he will also work closely with the Muchinga M&E officer. The Conservation Officer will be based at the WeForest Mpumba office in Mununga Quarry area in Lavushimanda which is situated along the Great North Road, app. 115 km south of Mpika.
• Together with the CFMGs, co-plan, coordinate and monitor of all Honorary Forest Officers’ field activities that promote forest restoration and regeneration in the community forest areas and buffer zones
• Together with the CFMGs, co-plan, coordinate and monitor of a fire management program that includes controlled early burning and establishment of fire breaks with Honorary Forest Officers
• Together with the CFMGs, co-plan, coordinate and maintain of the community forest areas infrastructure which includes access roads, forest boundaries and groves
• Lead the implementation of a forest structure monitoring program through permanent sample plots (PSP) together with CFMG and train CFMG monitors
• Spearhead activities that promote biodiversity increase on land and in streams and rivers in the CFAs
• Organise monitoring and evaluation through valuable data collection on the different conservation programs
• Record and keep inventory of all items confiscated by Honorary Forest Officers from law breakers in the forest areas
• Prepare reports on performance of the different conservation programs and communicate these to the Project Manager
• Ensure best relations are kept with the (local departments of the) Forest Department
• Education: a minimum of Diploma in forestry, biology, conservation, wildlife management or equivalent
• Language: Fluent in Bemba or Bisa or Lala and English (both spoken and written)
• Work experience: minimum 5 years relevant work experience in the sector
• Excellent communication and analytical skills
• Proven applied experience with sustainable forest management and conservation programs
• Have experience with conducting forest patrols and fire management programs
• General knowledge of fauna and flora and specific knowledge on forest restoration and regeneration techniques is a strong plus.
• Competent with Microsoft Office applications, email and other relevant computer skills.
• Conversant with SMART Tools, Kobo collect and other tools to monitor sustainable forest management
• Be willing to (relocate and) live near Mununga Quarry where the office is based in the Lavushimanda District, Muchinga Province
• Be comfortable with the challenging conditions associated with the remote area and wilderness
• Implement best practices in day to day sustainable resource management and conservation of the community forest areas
• Be independent and show own initiative
• Take ownership of, and perform the respective activities under your responsibility
• Appropriate and frequent reporting in full transparency and integrity, being coachable for improvement
• Handling internal information and data as confidential
• Contribute to safe and clean keeping of office and other equipment
Terms & Conditions
Duration of Contract: One year with possibility of a renewable 2-year contract afterwards upon performance
Salary: Level 3a. Officer
Starting date: 1 October, or earlier if possible
Location: Willing to live and work in Lavushimanda
Extras: Bonus of 5% based on performance, please note that there are no field allowances as this position is also expected to carry out fieldwork regularly.
Hours of Work: Full-time, working a minimum of 8 hours per day and up to 44 hours per week. Hours will however vary depending on project needs and flexibility is essential.
Reporting line: Will work under the supervision of and report to the Project Manager with regular contacts with other team members including the M&E officer and the Muchinga Manager.
Education Requirement: No Requirements
Job Experience: No Requirements
Work Hours: 8
Job application procedure
Please send applications to email@example.com by 4 September 2022.
• We only consider applications that contain the following documents: a CV (including 2 recent, contactable references), a motivation letter (max one page), and a two-pager law-enforcement plan which outlines the law-enforcement program that you aim to implement in the CFAs. Some numbers: 8000ha; 15 HFO; monthly budget of k15,000
• Make sure to mention the job title in the subject of the email, and to indicate where you saw the job post. In your motivation letter, we’d love to read about what makes you interested to work with WeForest.
• Due to the anticipated high number of applicants, only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. We thank you in advance for your interest.
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org
Join a Focused Community on job search to uncover both advertised and non-advertised jobs that you may not be aware of. A jobs WhatsApp Group Community can ensure that you know the opportunities happening around you and a jobs Facebook Group Community provides an opportunity to discuss with employers who need to fill urgent position. Click the links to join. You can view previously sent Email Alerts here incase you missed them and Subscribe so that you never miss out.