Finance and Operations Director
Deadline of this Job:
11 October 2022
Date Posted: Thursday, September 22, 2022 , Base Salary: Not Disclosed
Finance and Operations Director (Re-advertised)
Jhpiego is recruiting for the position of Finance and Operations Director (Re-advertised) Lusaka, Zambia
Jhpiego, an affiliate of Johns Hopkins University, builds global and local partnerships to enhance the quality of healthcare Jhpiego, an affiliate of Johns Hopkins University, builds global and local partnerships to enhance the quality of healthcare services for women and families around the world. Jhpiego is a global leader in the creation of innovative and effective approaches to developing human resources for health.
The Director of Finance and Administration is responsible for providing financial and administrative management for Jhpiego’s office in Zambia. S/he is responsible for implementing and maintaining an on-site financial accounting and bookkeeping system required to assure the integrity and effective performance of Jhpiego/Zambia’s financial operations. Additionally, the Director of Finance and Administration is the primary financial and administrative liaison with the Jhpiego Baltimore office and other partners in the Zambia country program. S/he supervises the activities of the administrative and financial staff working for Jhpiego’s country office in Zambia to maintain daily operations in an efficient and effective manner. The Director of Finance and Administration works closely with Jhpiego’s head office personnel to collaborate and coordinate the implementation of uniform administrative and financial procedures.
• Oversees and manages the financial, grants, and administrative operations of the Jhpiego program in Zambia
• Help develop and implement country-specific financial management strategies and administrative procedures that are consistent with global Jhpiego policies and operating systems.
• Advise Country Director and Project Directors on financial matters.
• Responsible for instituting and maintaining adequate internal controls, while simultaneously providing adequate financial resources and support to meet program needs.
• Ensures adherence to all financial, personnel, and administrative policies and procedures,
• Including conformity to the Zambian laws
• Review and advise on all legal undertakings of the institution such as leases, sub-agreements, and contracts.
• Directs the implementation and maintaining financial accounting and administrative operating systems for Zambia Country Offices, compatible with standard accounting practice, JHU/Jhpiego, and USG Guidelines.
• Assists program staff to develop work plans and annual budgets for program activities and the local office costs for review by Jhpiego Zambia’s Country Director and Jhpiego Baltimore finance staff. This includes budgeting large procurements
• Payroll Administration: maintains a record of salaries & salary changes; registration of Jhpiego and compliance with various statutory bodies – withholding of monthly salary deduction and remittances to these bodies, annual statutory reconciliation submissions. Also ensure that all related records like timesheets, statutory payments, etc. are maintained.
• Reviews and approve, with the Country Director, travel expense reports and project advance expense reconciliation.
• Directs the overall accountability for this office – reconciliation of accounting statements including monthly bank statement reconciliations; preparation and submission of timely monthly financial reports to the Baltimore Office.
• Monitors burn rates and expenses for all programs in collaboration with Jhpiego Baltimore staff. Responsible for verifying all in-country expenditures on monthly basis.
• With the assistance of the Finance Manager, develops financial management systems, procedures, and internal controls; ensure strict adherence to these and flag off areas of control that need adjustment and inform management. To ensure compliance with generally accepted accounting practices.
• Represent Jhpiego at partner or stakeholder meetings
• Lead all finance, procurment, administration, and general Jhpiego country staff, including accounts payable systems & operating procedures in the country.
• In collaboration with Grant’s staff, helps administers Jhpiego sub-agreements, including the drafting of award documents, monitoring of award payments, and oversight of compliance with award terms and conditions.
• Provide leadership in the preparation of the finance unit’s annual work plans.
• Manage the processes with external and internal audits – Financial or otherwise.
• Prepare financial reports to donors such as USAID, CDC, and other donors as required.
• Serves as a key resource to Jhpiego Baltimore office with regards to the in-country implementation of financial /procedures
• Manages bank accounts, mobile money payments, and processes, including timely escalation of any delays and issues to Jhpiego management and the bank.
• Overall responsible for smooth functioning of the Zambia office, including adequate budgeting and charging of all Zambia operational costs.
• Ensure all procurement, finance, and program staff are aware of donor and Jhpiego purchasing policies and procedures and provide training as needed. Ensure timely and cost-effective procurement processes.
• Constitute the procurement committee with the approval of the Country Director. Provide guidance to the procurement committee with regard to terms of reference.
• Draft and/or review key office policies like travel policies, safety and per diem policies, etc. to ensure risk is mitigated.
• Ensure compliance with Jhpiego’s Asset and inventory management policies and systems.
• Work with the IT Technicians to ensure effective IT systems are implemented. Regularly review emerging IT needs of the office.
• Provide leadership in the preparation of the administration unit’s annual work plans.
• Assume other duties as assigned
• Required Qualifications
• A Master’s degree in business Administration, Accountancy training qualification (Full ACCA, CIMA)
• 10 years experience in a responsible office; experience in an accounting office and knowledge of US Government financial regulations
• Project and contract management within the international development arena, with at least five years at a senior level
• Financial Management software experience (QuickBooks would be an added advantage)
• Strong leadership and managerial skills to lead and manage priorities
• Familiarity with local tax laws including, preparing corporate tax returns and administration of payroll tax systems
• Familiarity with U.S. Government and other donor cost principles and regulations (e.g. 2 CFR 200, 22 CFR 228, FAR requirements).
• Knowledge: (functional or technical; i.e. federal legislation, finance, program planning, proposal writing, human resources practices, etc.)
• An understanding of maintenance of ledger entries, bookkeeping, banking procedures, imprest operations, cash book, and account entries and reconciliation to balance sheet stage.
• Knowledge of development, establishment, and implementation of financial, administrative, and logistic support systems for international development projects.
• Budgeting and cost management experience
• Conversant with good procurement practices
• Abilities/Skills (action, i.e., negotiate, manage, exercise independent judgment, act as technical advisor network, train, etc):
• Experience managing several major activities simultaneously.
• General management skills
• Proven financial management skills, including program budgeting and international negotiating skills.
• Extensive contract and grant/cooperative agreement administration experience.
• Experience working in a team and managing multicultural staff
Work Hours: 8
Experience in Months: 60
Level of Education: Bachelor Degree
Job application procedure
Please send your application letter and curriculum vitae only in a single document to the Human Resources Director: Zambiajobs@jhpiego.org
Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted
The closing date is Tuesday October 11, 2022
Join a Focused Community on job search to uncover both advertised and non-advertised jobs that you may not be aware of. A jobs WhatsApp Group Community can ensure that you know the opportunities happening around you and a jobs Facebook Group Community provides an opportunity to discuss with employers who need to fill urgent position. Click the links to join. You can view previously sent Email Alerts here incase you missed them and Subscribe so that you never miss out.