Vacancy title: Financial Controller[ Type: FULL TIME , Industry: Nonprofit, and NGO , Category: Accounting & Finance ]
Jobs at:SOS Children's Villages Zambia
Deadline of this Job:
06 November 2022
Date Posted: Tuesday, November 01, 2022 , Base Salary: Not Disclosed
SOS Children’s Villages Zambia is a child focused organization and an affiliate of the SOS Children Villages International. It is a non-governmental, non-political, non-denominational, and non-racial organization. Its overall mission is to build families for children in need, help them shape their own futures and share in the development of their communities.
In order to fulfil the above mandate, the organization wishes to recruit for the position of Financial Controller to be based at our National Office in Lusaka.
Position Title: Financial Controller (1)
Reporting to: National Director
Duty Station: Lusaka
1. Purpose of the Job
The Financial Controller is primarily responsible for leading the strategic function of Finance within the National Association (NA). The role supports the SOS CV Zambia mission and goals through effectively aligned Finance strategy, policy, procedure and systems.The Position has overall policy and management responsibility for the finance and accounting function for the Association,as well as ensuring full accountability to donors, government and partners.
2. Job Accountabilities
Strategic Leadership and planning
• Sets the strategic plans, objectives and priorities of the Finance Department, through close consultation with the National Director and Regional staff.
• Lead the development of the National Association annual budgets ensuring that organisational objectives are financially supported as economically as possible.
• Propose and implement new financial and administrative procedures aimed at strengthening internal controls and systems.
• Provides technical support to the National director as well as Location Managers in ensuring all strategic plans are economically viable.
Treasury, Liquidity & Risk Management
• Takes a lead role in liquidity planning and quality check of the Organization liquidity plans.
• Prepare risk assessments, coordinate, and monitor mitigation measures.
• Takes a lead role in managing bank relations, bank account signatories, agents and their management & currency risks.
• Ensures the Risk register is updated Annually
• Preparation and presentation of quarterly and annual financial statements to the MA Board.
• Ensures that all board finance related resolutions are followed through and implemented.
• Participates in the audit and finance board subcommittee.
• Takes lead in organizing for annual external financial audits for the Organization as well as specific projects and the implementation of action plans.
• Take a lead role in facilitating internal audits and implementation of action plans.
• Takes a lead role in preparation of annual financial statements in preparation for the annual audit
Donor Contract Management & Reporting
• Supports programs and Institutional funding functions in the formulation of sound proposals and budgets.
• Takes a lead role in monitoring of Institutional grants, reporting & ensuring compliance with donor financial requirements.
• Lead the preparation of monthly (and other) financial reports / statements to the Regional Office/Donors/partners.
• Participates in assessment of sub grantees, partners and CBO’s.
• Ensure tracking of restricted funds.
HR Processes Support
• Supports HR function in HR planning and budgeting.
• Ensures accounting and programme staff receive adequate, Capacity development, to build their effectiveness on finance and compliance matters.
• Responsible for ensuring set internal controls and guidelines are in line with various levels of management.
• Takes a lead role in the recruitment and orientation of finance staff
• Establish sound structures and ensures appropriate staffing of the function
• Provides on-going leadership and supervision to finance co-workers in the NO and programmes
• Provide technical support, training & coaching to finance personnel in the programmes, and ensures they receive adequate training.
• Conduct regular support / supervision visits to each programme.
• Ensure regular meetings and exchanges between finance personnel.
• Participate in the performance appraisal of finance personnel.
• Review and Development of new finance & administrative policies in line with internal & external guidelines.
• Ensure compliance with statutory obligations as well as seeking opportunities for tax relief, exemptions or payments by government Ensures tax applications / payments, as well as statutory payments and returns are timely and followed up.
• Review monthly income and expenditure statements (and other key performance indicators) and advises programme managers, national Management team as well as the National Director on needed action.
• Ensure proper record-keeping and sound documentation systems.
• Coordinate international transfers and facilitate the timely flow of funds to programmes.
• Monitor all accounts to ensure liquidity is maintained. Advises on the investment of surplus funds.
• Keep accurate records of Child Money gifts and ensure accurate balances are maintained at all times and provide proposals to the Board for investment opportunities for the CMG funds
• Assign access to finance systems, statutory online platforms as well as bank online platforms.
• Ensure the on-going development of finance personnel
• Ensure sound management of funds
• Support the programmes and facilities to establish cash-flow plans.
• Full Grade 12 School Certificate
• Bachelor’s degree or higher in Finance, Accounting, Managerial ACCA, or Equivalent.
• A minimum of 8 years in a similar position with proven experience including atleast 5 years in a leadership position in an NGO set up.
• Experience in dealing with multi-funding from donors is desired.
6. Other competencies and requirements
• Understanding of all aspects of financial management including budgeting, accounting, auditing, financial controlling, financial reporting, financial analysis.
• In-depth understanding of SOS-KDI financial policies and standards and in-house financial software applications.
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills, presentation and facilitation skills, strong analytical and numerical skills, accuracy, integrity & objectivity.
• Capacity to build and maintain excellent partnership relations and to work effectively in a multi-cultural and multi-ethnic environment respecting diversity.
• Strong leadership skills including planning, delegation, supervision, and coaching.
• IT skills: proficient in the use of the internet, Navision Accounting software and standard software such as: MS-Word, Excel, PowerPoint, MS-Outlook, etc.
Work Hours: 8
Experience in Months: 96
Level of Education: Bachelor Degree
Job application procedure
You can email your application letter and CV only to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please DO NOT email academic and professional certificates as they will only be required during the interviews to the applicants who will be responded to.
Closing date for receipt of applications is 6th November, 2022
SOS Children’s Villages in Zambia holds strict child safeguarding principles and a zero-tolerance policy for conducts of sexual harassment, exploitation and abuse in the workplace and other places where the organization’s activities are rendered. Recruitment decisions will give due emphasis to assessing candidates value congruence and thorough background checks and police clearance reference check processes.
Join a Focused Community on job search to uncover both advertised and non-advertised jobs that you may not be aware of. A jobs WhatsApp Group Community can ensure that you know the opportunities happening around you and a jobs Facebook Group Community provides an opportunity to discuss with employers who need to fill urgent position. Click the links to join. You can view previously sent Email Alerts here incase you missed them and Subscribe so that you never miss out.