Project Finance Specialist
Jobs at:WWF Zambia
Deadline of this Job:
27 May 2022
Date Posted: Monday, May 23, 2022 , Base Salary: Not Disclosed
Position title: Project Finance Specialist
Reports to: Finance Manager
Supervises: Grants Accountants
I. Mission of the Department:
Project Finance serves as the link between project teams, donors and operations. Ensure projects get the necessary financial and operation support for smooth conservation delivery. Ensure accountability towards donors.
II. Major Functions of this position:
Provide financial management support for projects implemented by the Zambia Country Office, including budget development and monitoring, timely production of donor reports and reconciliation of projects and their close out. Ensure projects are implemented in compliance with both country and WWF regulations as well as donor requirements.
III. Major Duties and Responsibilities:
A. Planning and budgeting:
• Leads in developing budget development for the various thematic and strategic areas requiring funding within the country office .
• Provides support to project managers & sub grantees and the finance manager in preparing and submitting proposals in line with the specific funding strategies.
• Updates and communicates a cost recovery methodology to ensure projects have a fair share of their costs.
• Provides support to the development of budgets (proposals and projects), ensuring all required for project implementation are covered and ensuring appropriate cost recovery,
• Assists with the preparation of incoming and outgoing contracts and monitors compliance with contractual terms,
• Establishes quarterly forecasts in collaboration with Project Managers,
• Coordinates project inception meetings and ensures that all financial donor requirements are adequately communicated to Project Managers and other internal stakeholders.
• Coordinates the establishment and maintenance of a database for proposals and funding agreements, including a donor reporting log, a calling of fund log, proposal status, using the tool provided in the Field -Operations manual or a similar tool.
B. Project implementation
• Ensures the timely and accurate recovery of core costs from projects in line with the cost recovery methodology established, WWF policies and within the limits and requirements of project budgets and funding agreements,
• Ensures the availability of cash for project activities, establishes and updates cash flow forecasts, monitor cash positions for all projects,
• Coordinates the calling of funds for all projects and processes for the projects in his/her own portfolio,
• Supports and trains project managers in tracking their budgets to ensure there is no overspend, low burn rate , verifies budget availability for any commitment for the projects in his/her portfolio,
• Reviews fund request and programme work advances by field offices to ensure they are within approved work plans, previous transfers/advances are accounted for and works with AP Accountant to ensure timely transfers,
• Reviews project commitments and payments and ensure they are within budget and cash availability and charged to the appropriate budget lines,
• Supports Project Management in developing partner /sub-grantee budgets and agreements, ensuring accuracy, timeliness and compliance,
• Maintains a schedule of payment to partner / sub-grantees to ensure timely transfers to partners and maintains partners accounts reconciliation,
• Reviews partners report, supports partners linked to ensure compliance with donor regulations and timely reporting,
• Participates in project review meetings to highlight finance related matters and provides advice on financial managers.
• Monitors compliance with any specific donor requirement, mainly co-financing requirements if any.
• Coordinates with Project Managers and the Accounting team to ensure financial information allow proper internal monitoring and be linked to project work plan as well as financial reporting as per donor requirements,
• Coordinates with programme staff as appropriate to ensure that financial information are complete and accurate , provide regular financial analyses to Project Managers and Finance Manager,
• Prepares a monthly consolidated project performance report for the Finance Manager and the Senior -Management team and raises any issue to the Finance Manager in a timely manner,
• Coordinates the timely submission of financial reports to donors and Project Managers. Ensure the reports are accurate, established as per donor requirements, reconciled with the accounts. Prepares the reports for his/her own portfolio and reviews the reports prepared by the Grants Accountant.
• Monitors individual project cost recovery, provides monthly reports on cost recovery and advises on areas that need addressing.
D. Audit, closing and others
• Works with Project Managers to ensure proper closure of projects, final reports submitted, all income collected, donor requirements on assets are followed,
• Work closely with Finance Managers to plan and coordinate project specific audits. Ensure recommendations are implemented in a timely manner. Also supports Office internal and external audits,
• In coordination with Finance Manager and M&E, participates to field visits to review the financial management of the project, train field staff as required,
• Provide training to Project Managers in financial matters,
• Performs other appropriate duties upon request of the Financial Manager.
Required Functional Skills:
• A university degree in Commerce, Accounting, Business Administration or related field;
Full accounting qualification i.e. ACCA or equivalent;
• At least 6 years of working with financial/accounting experience in a major international organization/NGO;
• Management experience would be an advantage;
• Demonstrable skills in the development of finance and systems in the context of an international ONG;
• Good knowledge of fund accounting including reporting requirements
• Hands-on knowledge of the major ERP softwares would be a distinct advantage;
2. Required Behavioral Skills and Competencies:
• Excellent planning and organizational skills;
• Excellent interpersonal skills, including the ability to develop and maintain strong relationships at all levels within WWF and with donors and, as required, with other external stakeholders ;
• Ability to work within a multicultural environment ;
• Dynamic, responsive disposition ;
• Open, adaptable, team spirit ;
• Ability to work under pressure.
Willingness to the embodiment of WWF Global behavioral competencies:
Strive for Impact I am results driven. Everything I do, the way I think, plan and implement is driven by a relentless search for impact.
Listen Deeply I go beyond my point of view and strive to see the bigger picture from different perspectives. I stay curious and listen deeply to what others have to say.
Collaborate Openly in a global citizen working for a living planet. I am constantly thinking of how with others, together, we can be more impactful. I work across boundaries, openly ask for help and share what I know, both internally and externally.
Innovate Fearlessly. I take risks to find better solutions. I measure progress and learn from mistakes. I share both success & failures. I encourage others to do the same.
This job description covers the main tasks and conveys the spirit of the sort of tasks that are anticipated proactively from staff. Other tasks may be assigned as necessary according to organizational needs.
Work Hours: 8
Experience in Months: 60
Level of Education: Bachelor Degree
Job application procedure
All interested applicants must email their applications (Cover Letter and CVs) to firstname.lastname@example.org by end of day, Friday 27th May, 2022.
Please note that only shortlisted applicants will be contacted.
This job description is in line with WWF’s brand values: Collaboration, Courage, Respect and Integrity.
Join a Focused Community on job search to uncover both advertised and non-advertised jobs that you may not be aware of. A jobs WhatsApp Group Community can ensure that you know the opportunities happening around you and a jobs Facebook Group Community provides an opportunity to discuss with employers who need to fill urgent position. Click the links to join. You can view previously sent Email Alerts here incase you missed them and Subscribe so that you never miss out.