Tax Policy Specialist
Jobs at:Nathan Associates Inc.
Deadline of this Job:
Friday, September 01 2023
Date Posted: Saturday, August 19 2023, Base Salary: Not Disclosed
• Nathan Associates is implementing the USAID Zambia Revenue for Growth Project (USAID R4G), a five-year project awarded in June 2021, which supports the Government of the Republic of Zambia (GRZ) in its efforts to improve domestic revenue mobilization and expand the fiscal space for public spending and investments in service delivery and poverty reduction. USAID R4G engages both government and non-government stakeholders to build capacity in tax policy analysis, improve tax compliance and administration, and strengthen the tax culture in a manner that facilitates private sector growth and accountability relationships between taxpayers and the GRZ.
• USAID R4G is organized around four Objectives: 1) Improve Tax and Non-Tax Administration and Compliance; 2) Strengthen Tax Policy; 3) Enhance Public-Private Dialogue; and 4) Enhance Capacity to Address Emerging Fiscal Policy and Management Issues. Gender equality and social inclusion (GESI) is a cross-cutting Objective.
• USAID R4G is seeking a Tax Policy Specialist to contribute to Objective 2 – Strengthen Tax Policy. This is a full-time position open to Zambian citizens and residents that reports directly to USAID R4G’s Chief of Party. The key tasks to be performed are described below.
Tax Policy Specialist Key Tasks:
USAID R4G plans to employ a full-time Tax Policy Specialist to provide technical support to the Ministry of Finance and National Planning (MoFNP) and possibly other GRZ agencies in undertaking economic studies, tax policy analyses, and other DRM-related activities. Examples of tasks to be conducted by the Tax Policy Specialist are summarized below:
1. Perform economic analyses for technical assistance activities USAID R4G is or will conduct at the MoFNP and other GRZ agencies, which may include:
• A cost/benefit analysis of selected tax incentives;
• An analysis of the revenue impacts of proposed changes to tax rates applied to various sectors;
• Projections of the revenue impact of changes to collections systems for selected non-tax revenues;
• Revenue impacts of proposed changes in corporate income tax rates; and
• Other analyses to be conducted for the MoFNP or other GRZ agencies.
2. Measure the tax incidence of various tax types on population groups, including women and marginalized groups.
3. Conduct training activities in economic modeling and fiscal analysis for officials at the MoFNP and other state and non-state institutions.
4. Engage with MoFNP and other GRZ officials to design and structure USAID R4G work plan activities, and manage the implementation of the activities (including identifying external consultants when required).
5. Identify possible areas of capacity-building in tax and economics at the MoFNP and other GRZ agencies, and provide or manage the implementation of training in the identified areas.
6. Participate in panel discussions on tax and economic issues, as requested.
7. Contribute to the issuance and management of tax-related grants, including supervising the production and review of tax research outputs from grantees.
8. Contribute to USAID R4G reporting requirements (including weekly, monthly, quarterly and annual reports), monitoring, evaluation and learning (MEL) requirements, and communications and outreach activities.
9. Perform other tasks to support USAID R4G, as requested.
All tasks will be conducted in Lusaka unless otherwise requested by USAID R4G.
Qualifications & Skills:
The Tax Policy Specialist should possess the following qualifications and skills.
• Bachelor’s Degree in economics or related field (Master’s or higher preferred).
• Minimum five years’ work experience in tax policy in developing countries, working for either the public or private sector.
• Experience conducting economic analyses of existing or proposed tax provisions.
• Experience conducting cost/benefit analyses of tax incentives.
• Experience providing tax and economic training to the public and/or private sector.
• Experience drafting tax expenditure reports is preferred.
• Experience working for international organizations is preferred.
• Sound understanding of Zambia’s tax policies.
• Knowledge of STATA, R and other statistical modeling programs.
• Demonstrated ability to interact effectively with senior government officials.
• Strong research and analytical skills.
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
• Strong organizational and time management skills.
• Ability to work well independently and in teams.
Work Hours: 8
Experience in Months: 12
Level of Education: Bachelor Degree
Job application procedure
• Candidates are required to submit a cover letter, CV, and unedited writing sample to RGARecruiting@nathaninc.com by August 31, 2023. Please include “R4G Tax Policy Specialist” in the subject line. Only finalists will be contacted. No phone calls please.
• Applications missing a CV, cover letter and writing sample will not be considered for this position.
Join a Focused Community on job search to uncover both advertised and non-advertised jobs that you may not be aware of. A jobs WhatsApp Group Community can ensure that you know the opportunities happening around you and a jobs Facebook Group Community provides an opportunity to discuss with employers who need to fill urgent position. Click the links to join. You can view previously sent Email Alerts here incase you missed them and Subscribe so that you never miss out.