Jobs at:First Quantum
Deadline of this Job:
09 June 2022
Date Posted: Monday, May 23, 2022 , Base Salary: Not Disclosed
Taxation Accountant - Indirect Taxes
At First Quantum, we free the talent of our people by taking a very different approach which is underpinned by a very different, very definite culture – the “First Quantum Way”.
Working with us is not like working anywhere else, which is why we recruit people who will take a bolder, smarter approach to spot opportunities, solve problems and deliver results.
Our culture is all about encouraging you to think independently and to challenge convention to deliver the best result. That’s how we continue to achieve extraordinary things in extraordinary locations.
Overall Job Purpose
Ensuring compliance for all VAT, Custom Duties and PAYE. The role focuses on the remittance of VAT, import & export duties and PAYE payments, returns, and the research of tax inquires. The Tax Accountant plays an integral part in supporting senior finance management in areas of tax compliance, internal control and financial reporting.
Specific Job Responsibility
• Manages all VAT, PAYE and Custom Duties of the business under the direct supervision of the Accounting Superintendent.
• Prepares, organizes, and compiles data for the preparation of annual filings and statutory tax returns for VAT and PAYE. Reviews and approves treatment of import and export entries ensure correct taxes are paid by Goods in Transit team.
• Leads the internal control improvement initiative of processes for the above taxes and handles the documentation and review of process flows.
• Identifies key controls and efficiency opportunities and prepares written correspondence and other documents for submission to the statutory authorities.
• Prepares tax estimates and planning and becomes highly involved in tax planning.
• Reviews tax accruals and taxing authorities’ draft responses and notices.
• Take ownership and key contact for Zambia Revenue Authority for VAT, Custom Duty and PAYE.
Financial / Tax Analysis & Reporting:
• Prepares tax returns, inclusive of other supporting schedules.
Documentation & Records Management:
• Responsible for proper documentation and tax record management.
• Takes ownership of the business’s tax compliance and related records.
• Conducts research and documents tax-related technical issues, preparing written communication of tax issues, for example, refund claims, self-disclosures, needed exemption forms, etc.
• Is charged with the preparation of weekly/annual/ journal entries in a timely and accurate manner.
• Reconciles tax general ledger accounts and prepares tax accounting journal entries.
• Liaises with external tax accounting firms and tax authorities.
• Required to work closely with top financial department leadership.
• Along with the Accounting Superintendent, the Tax Accountant is also responsible for coordinating internal management and review of the business’s tax affairs.
• Perform any other duties assigned by the supervisor.
Job Specific Competencies
• Analytical skills and working with volumes of data.
• Well rounded understanding of mining operations.
• Expert knowledge international financial reporting standards (IFRS).
• Up-to-date knowledge of relevant Zambian laws and regulations (e.g. Companies’ Act, Tax laws etc).
• Good command of the English language (speaking and writing).
• Proficiency in Microsoft Excel and Word.
• Excellent interpersonal skills.
Key Job Attributes
• Ability to work under pressure and handle competing work demands.
• Must be dependable and self-motivated.
• Must have good communication and interpersonal skills
• Accurate and precise attention to detail.
• Able to work under minimum supervision.
• Unquestionable integrity.
• Must uphold the company and professional code of ethics
Experience Required to Perform in This Job
• Minimum 3 to 5 years of tax/accounting experience.
• Full grade twelve (G12) school certificate.
• Degree in Accounting and professional accountancy qualification (e.g. ACCA, CIMA, ZICA etc.) or studying towards that.
• Member of the Zambia Institute of Chartered Accountants (ZICA).
Work Hours: 8
Experience in Months: 36
Level of Education: Bachelor Degree
Join a Focused Community on job search to uncover both advertised and non-advertised jobs that you may not be aware of. A jobs WhatsApp Group Community can ensure that you know the opportunities happening around you and a jobs Facebook Group Community provides an opportunity to discuss with employers who need to fill urgent position. Click the links to join. You can view previously sent Email Alerts here incase you missed them and Subscribe so that you never miss out.